PDA

View Full Version : Need input on this bedroom set!

Binkandabee
04-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I have horrible taste in just about everything lol. I found this bedroom set on craigslist and am considering purchasing it. My concern is that it might be a bit dated. The color is a neutral pecan, that doesn't have the orange tint it appears to have in the pics.

Give me your thoughts! What should I offer? It's in excellent condition, doesn't have any scuffs or scratches.

http://images.craigslist.org/3Ga3I43Lc5If5E95J7d41f6b6cc811e231746.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3K73Ib3J75Nf5Ga5Fbd41dbd1ef513e98149f.jpg

Edited because my last two pics were coming up as thumbnails!

elbenn
04-03-2013, 10:52 AM
I think it's pretty. What brand is it?

Binkandabee
04-03-2013, 10:54 AM
It's AICO. It was originally from Bedroom Expressions, so I think it's the lower end of AICO's product line, but still seems made very well.

indigo99
04-03-2013, 10:57 AM
How much are they asking?

Binkandabee
04-03-2013, 11:05 AM
They are asking $1,800.00.

DH has a bad back, so we will need to pay someone to move this from their house to ours, which will likely be a couple of hundred dollars. I'm just wondering if I could get something as nice new for what we're going to have to put into it between the cost + moving.

marymoo86
04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
They are asking $1,800.00.

DH has a bad back, so we will need to pay someone to move this from their house to ours, which will likely be a couple of hundred dollars. I'm just wondering if I could get something as nice new for what we're going to have to put into it between the cost + moving.

Depends - what access do you have to furniture stores? If you are looking at 2k for furniture and moving - yes you could possibly by new depending on brand. I'm not familiar with AICO but my old bedroom set is pecan and it is a great wood for durability. It is not a common wood in use anymore though so it could be considered dated just by that fact but the style is something I have seen in stores. It must still be popular.

Binkandabee
04-03-2013, 11:59 AM
I have limited access to furniture stores that sell good quality furniture. Most of them carry ashley and the like. When we were shopping for DD#1's furniture, I wasn't please with Ashely's quality....but this was 5 years ago.

BayGirl2
04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm not a fan of it, but mostly because its just not my style. It does look a bit dated to me. I'd prefer something more modern in dark cherry or mission style if it is mid-tone. But its not "ugly". If you like it I think its fine.

I agree though that for $2k you could potentially get something new. Costco Online has some nice looking options and they deliver. Not sure if they have anything that meets your style and quality needs.

marymoo86
04-03-2013, 12:41 PM
I have limited access to furniture stores that sell good quality furniture. Most of them carry ashley and the like. When we were shopping for DD#1's furniture, I wasn't please with Ashely's quality....but this was 5 years ago.

Just for comparison purposes have you called somewhere like Furnitureland South (http://www.furniturelandsouth.com/) and see what you can get for the money/delivery?

Binkandabee
04-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Hmmm...I checked out Costco and they have some sets I really like! Happen to know who manufactures them? Quality is a big deal to me.

elbenn
04-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Just for comparison purposes have you called somewhere like Furnitureland South (http://www.furniturelandsouth.com/) and see what you can get for the money/delivery?

Furnitureland South is a good recommendation. They run shipping specials quite often. I don't know who manufactures the Costco furniture, but it seems like most people that get furniture from Costco rave about the quality.

teresah00
04-03-2013, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't pay that much plus moving it.i would check out Costco.

brittone2
04-03-2013, 02:57 PM
I think that price is a bit steep and agree it looks a little dated. It is also larger scale furniture. Does your MBR have higher ceilings or standard height? Do you have a larger room? IME that type of furniture looks better in a room with a larger scale, and higher ceilings.

Are there any auction houses in your area? I live in an area with a lot of antiques and nice, well made vintage furniture. Old farms have great auctions where I am, and there are a few auction houses that sell antique, vintage, and more modern stuff. In some areas that would not be a good option, but I regularly see some pretty great pieces.

indigo99
04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
IMO that price is about twice what they should be asking. If it was a nicer brand then it would be worth that, but it isn't. If they had some sort of way to help deliver and will help load it then that may add to the value.

Having said that, I got a dining room set (table with 8 chairs, china cabinet, and buffet) from CL and paid about $900. We had to get relatives to help move it and rented a U-Haul. It isn't a great brand either, but I really like the style/looks of it and couldn't get anything new for anywhere near that amount so it depends on how much you like it and what it's worth to YOU. Personally, I wouldn't need that much furniture in my bedroom (I actually really like the looks of that bed but not the side table or dresser so much) so spending a bit more and getting less to get something newer or nicer would be better for me.

mackmama
04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
It is not my style so take this with a grain of salt - but I also think it looks dated and over-ornate. I also think bedroom "sets" in general are a bit outdated in terms of everything being matchy. For that price I think you could probably find something new?

Binkandabee
04-03-2013, 06:07 PM
I decided to tell the lady to contact me if she drops the price. It's just too high for being middle of the road used furniture, and what I think is fair (about half) is too low to offer without offending I think.

I like the set, but I don't LOVE it. It's a huge improvement over what we have now, which is beyond dated looking, and I'm so anxious to get rid of it. But it's fine, not like it's falling apart or anything. For that money, I want to get something I love!

elbenn
04-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm not familiar with this brand of furniture, but I just did a quick google search and it seems like it's not cheap furniture, so maybe the asking price is a little high but not outrageous (although as you noted, this might be a lower end line). FWIW, I don't think the set looks dated. I've seen similar sets in very nice model homes. It's not my style, but I think if you like the style, it's quite nice. Of course, you would need a pretty large room for this type of furniture. Here's a link to new bedroom sets by the same brand and they look kind of similar to this set.

http://www.homefurnituremart.com/aico-bedroom-furniture.html