PDA

View Full Version : Would this bother you? (PTA issue)

SummerBaby
04-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Background- Our PTA puts out a directory every year with contact information for parents/students. It's optional, and you pay for a copy of the directory. It's useful for party invitations, play dates, etc. I have always put our info in there and purchased a copy. Over the weekend I received an email from a local business inviting me to a sale at their store. I could t figure out at first how they got my email because its not one I give out, and I do not have a need to patronize their store. When I looked closer, I realized that the email copied everyone who is listed in the school directory. Since they do not have children that go to the school, I assumed someone provided the directory to them. Yesterday, the PTA announced that this business made a large donation to the PTA fundraiser. I'm assuming now that the PTA gladly provided everyone's email to this business after the donation was made. This is bothering me- I really don't want my information just handed out to anyone who donates. Am I being unreasonable? I know its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, it just rubs me the wrong way. Would you say something?

npace19147
04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes, I would. Our school also provides a directory and stipulates the info is only for parent use. Of course, if your school doesn't say the info is private then I guess you just need to be aware it could/will happen again in the future!

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Not ok. The need to disclose on the directory form if they will be doing that and give you an opt out.

sunshine873
04-03-2013, 12:50 PM
What? I would definitely say something! Yes, I guess we need to be aware that if we are putting our info out there, then it is out there. But I certainly wouldn't appreciate the PTA selling my e-mail address. Like you, I would think that info was strictly for other parents in the directory...period.

infomama
04-03-2013, 12:51 PM
I'd make a stink about that and I'd make sure everyone knew their addresses were sold. Totally uncool.

sarahsthreads
04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
What? I would definitely say something! Yes, I guess we need to be aware that if we are putting our info out there, then it is out there. But I certainly wouldn't appreciate the PTA selling my e-mail address. Like you, I would think that info was strictly for other parents in the directory...period.

:yeahthat: This would completely piss me off! I would definitely say something.

Sarah :)

Binkandabee
04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Oh, that would not sit well with me at all. I'd be furious.

123LuckyMom
04-03-2013, 12:56 PM
I would be VERY upset! If the directory was going to be provided to anyone outside the school community, you should have been told. Better yet, the school should have a policy of keeping the directories in the school community only. It would stink to have to withhold your information just to avoid being targeted by advertising!!!

BunnyBee
04-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Not cool at all. I'd be ticked! You have every right to complain to the PTA and the business. They aren't allowed to send emails like that without your permission. It's spam and can get their email suspended if they have a legit hosting company. Definitely complain. Stupid move on both parts.

It could be a violation of school privacy laws as well...

Nemesia
04-03-2013, 01:05 PM
I would most certainly say something. I would be upset too!

SummerBaby
04-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I am totally hormonal now and wasn't sure if that was affecting my judgment.

Still-in-Shock
04-03-2013, 01:22 PM
You have a right to feel uncomfortable, and in the big scheme, it could very well be a big deal.

When you gave out your info, it was with the understanding that it was for the teachers and parents of children in your school.

If the PTA said, Store A is giving us a big donation, and in return, we are putting an ad in next year's directory, that would be reasonable. This is what I think most PTA's do.

If they said, Store A is giving us a big donation, and in return, giving them a copy of next year's directory, then you would have a chance to decide whether to be in the directory, and if so, what info to include. I would probably not put in my address, though.

But they gave out private info without your permission. This may be illegal, and frankly, I would say to the PTA that they have started a precedent that could potentially endanger the school's children. If some jerk who likes children in the wrong way makes a big donation, do they automatically get a school directory to know where to find children to prey on? Did the PTA investigate the store's employees to know that they are not on any sex offenders list? This may sound like I'm too pessimistic, but what the PTA did is on a slippery slope that I am uncomfortable with.

newnana
04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
i'd be really ticked.

but a small part of me would also wonder if someone in charge of the business is also a family at the school? Like if the parents own the business and they get a tax break donating to something so they pick their kids school. And also happen to have the directory. Still extremely uncool and not the purpose of the directory and I loathe businesses having my email. Just a thought.

SummerBaby
04-03-2013, 03:25 PM
PTA denies providing the information. The businessman does not have children at the school, but does live in the district, so I suppose he could have asked a neighbor for the directory. I think it's a very unprofessional way to do business.

jenmcadams
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
PTA denies providing the information. The businessman does not have children at the school, but does live in the district, so I suppose he could have asked a neighbor for the directory. I think it's a very unprofessional way to do business.

I have done our school's directory for 5+ years - we actually do place Ads in the directory for sponsors of some our big events/PTA, but they don't get copies of the directory and we actually have the following language on the inside front cover of the directory:

THIS DIRECTORY IS FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE OF <NAME OF SCHOOL> PARENTS, STAFF, AND STUDENTS. USE FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES OF ANY SORT IS PROHIBITED

I'd suggest something similar to your PTA for next year. Obviously it doesn't hold any legal weight, but might serve as a deterrent.

rlu
04-03-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm assuming now that the PTA gladly provided everyone's email to this business after the donation was made. This is bothering me- I really don't want my information just handed out to anyone who donates. Am I being unreasonable? I know its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, it just rubs me the wrong way. Would you say something?

If they really did, that is wrong wrong wrong and I'd be screaming. The PTA cannot (maybe legally only should not) sell your information, even if the transaction takes the form of a donation. Oh so wrong.

eta: obviously I didn't see your update before posting I was so upset for you.

Tondi G
04-03-2013, 05:13 PM
They should not have provided e-mail addresses. They say they didn't but somehow the store that made a large donation to the PTA magically sends out an e-mail to every address on the directory. I am thinking that the store is probably owned by a friend or family member of a family at the school. SHADY business!

Our school makes up a directory but it is known that the directory is only for calling for homework or planning parties/play dates.

If a business donates to our parent organization they get a banner to put up on the fencing, in hopes that if a family needs an electrician/plumber, restaurant etc. they would consider calling said business.

SummerBaby
04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=Tondi G;3763969]They should not have provided e-mail addresses. They say they didn't but somehow the store that made a large donation to the PTA magically sends out an e-mail to every address on the directory. I am thinking that the store is probably owned by a friend or family member of a family at the school. SHADY business!

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I know that the family that owns the business in in pretty tight with several PTA people. Of course now I'm annoyed at the indignant response I received when I questioned it. Oh well, this is one reason I avoid PTA.

Pennylane
04-03-2013, 05:58 PM
We had a local bounce house do the same thing. He did not have a child at the school, but got a copy and pounded people with emails and mailings. I don't think anything can be done about it if you provide your information. The last neighborhood we lived in it also happened. People were furious, but again not much that can be done.

Ann

elektra
04-03-2013, 06:05 PM
I would be really pissed too. You did not give permission for them to share that! Seems that someone on the PTA gave him the info whether they are officially admitting it or not.

maiaann
04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
I'd be mad, too. But, in this day and age there is so little privacy - nothing surprises me anymore. :irked:

urquie
04-03-2013, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=Tondi G;3763969]They should not have provided e-mail addresses. They say they didn't but somehow the store that made a large donation to the PTA magically sends out an e-mail to every address on the directory. I am thinking that the store is probably owned by a friend or family member of a family at the school. SHADY business!

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I know that the family that owns the business in in pretty tight with several PTA people. Of course now I'm annoyed at the indignant response I received when I questioned it. Oh well, this is one reason I avoid PTA.

Maybe this would be an opportunity to hit "reply all" and express your feelings. :loveeyes:

Mali
04-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Maybe this would be an opportunity to hit "reply all" and express your feelings. :loveeyes:

:yeahthat:

mom2binsd
04-03-2013, 08:13 PM

So you're telling me that the business manually entered all the emails into his data base???? Sounds fishy, or did someone shoot him the file with all the emails, as a room parent I've had to create my own email list for just my class and it's tedious!

And it's way too convenient that after the businesses donation that they now have all the emails.

I also think that PTO/PTA's have to abide by national rules, not sure which yours belong to but that's worth asking about too and this may go against the rules.

Again, I'm calling BS on the response you got!

SummerBaby
04-03-2013, 08:40 PM
So you're telling me that the business manually entered all the emails into his data base???? Sounds fishy, or did someone shoot him the file with all the emails, as a room parent I've had to create my own email list for just my class and it's tedious!

And it's way too convenient that after the businesses donation that they now have all the emails.

I also think that PTO/PTA's have to abide by national rules, not sure which yours belong to but that's worth asking about too and this may go against the rules.

Again, I'm calling BS on the response you got!

I never thought about having to manually enter the emails. It definitely wasn't a blind copy to a group- everyone's emails were visible. Believe me i almost did a reply all but its a small school and i have another 5 years to go there. It is really annoying, but in grand scheme of things I suppose I can just delete and ignore.

Still-in-Shock
04-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Goodness knows who else they are giving that info to. I would get a new email address and only give it out to people I want to have it. And then I would add an auto-reply to the old one that it is was no longer functioning due to spam.

ahisma
04-03-2013, 11:15 PM
I'd be ticked. I know that out PTA absolutely would NOT do this. I could see them selling ad spaces in the PTA emails, maybe. They would not share info though.

I bet others are ticked too. Bad business move, IMO.