PDA

View Full Version : Hit me with your best work organization tips!

elektra
04-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Today I start my new job!
It's actually with my same company, but in a different division and a different job description/function etc.

But I have the chance to do a big reset as far as my email and file organization or anything else.

I started by getting a new computer.

And I have a training on their existing folder/project organization this afternoon.

I use the Outlook task function to drag email items to to track projects.
My old job also used Podio quite a bit but I don't think it has really been adopted by the new division I will be working for.

I know a lot is dependent on industry and actual job function, but I am sure there are some general things we all do to stay organized and productive.

I would love any advice!

lizzywednesday
04-03-2013, 01:17 PM
What's Podio?

I do a weekly status sheet, but I make edits to it daily based on what projects I've completed or moved forward ... and I also print it out when I'm in the office so I can scribble on it & cross things off.

I use the Outlook task list for concrete deadlines.

I work in publishing. I have an extensive folder structure in Outlook as well, tracked by year, product type (analytical or academic), product name/number, release/edition number, manuscript status, administrative tasks, and outsourcing status.

For large documents, I have a series of personal folders on a public/shared drive, so they don't take up any memory on my laptop - and they're available to my teammates in the event of my absence.

I rarely file paper anymore.

hillview
04-03-2013, 01:52 PM
i create meetings for myself in outlook calendar. So what I am needing to do at that time. It keeps me on task and also blocks my calendar so I can get it done (vs end up in a meeting). I don't use the tasks in outlook, just the calendar.

I used to have outlook folders for every project / client. I now just put them into montly folders and use search. This saves me a lot of time (I get over 100 emails a day so filing didn't scale for me although my job 2 jobs ago it worked better). I never delete any email.