PDA

View Full Version : s/o Does Fencing add value?

westwoodmom04
04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
We are considering getting a dog, and because we aren't far from a fairly well-trafficked road, are adding a fence to completely fence off our backyard (at present, 90 percent of the perimeter is fenced between what we've previously added and neighboring fences. The additional fencing will be wood picket style (maybe an inch or so between boards) and about five feet in height. We have a large lot, so the fenced in backyard area would be maybe a third of an acre. Will this add anything to resale value? We're going to do it for pet safety purposes, but hope to sell in a 1-3 year time frame.

kdeunc
04-03-2013, 01:56 PM
We are currently house-hunting and for us a fenced in yard is a huge plus. We have dogs (and kids :)) that we need to keep contained. Not having one is not a deal breaker but it definitely factors into our thinking. In our area a lot of houses are fenced.

rlu
04-03-2013, 01:57 PM
When we look for houses (either buy or rent) we do look for a solid tall fence for safety (kid and dog) purposes. It is common in our area for fences to be 6' or 8' and that is what we would be comfortable with.

We saw and ultimately did not choose a house with a 4' fence as we considered that too low for our large-sized dogs.

But, we had (and intend to have again) big dogs.

elliput
04-03-2013, 01:59 PM
If I were looking at two identical properties with the exception that one is fenced and one is not, I would be willing to pay slightly more for the one with the fence. For me, personally, a fenced yard is a must for my children otherwise they would wander where ever they wanted.

egoldber
04-03-2013, 02:01 PM
I think it depends on the area. When we lived in CA, every yard had a fence. In part this is for privacy because the houses are so close together.

Here, it is not expected and I don't think a buyer would pay more for it.

emily
04-03-2013, 02:01 PM
I guess it would depend on what it would cost to put in that fence as a buyer. We put in our privacy fence for safety reasons (keeps kids contained and neighbors dogs out). When we bought the house, fence didn't even occur to us. Next house, I'm factoring in the cost of putting in a fence in our offer price. I don't know that I would put a higher value on a home because the fence is there, but I would offer less depending on cost of putting one in.

rin
04-03-2013, 02:02 PM
If I were looking at two identical properties with the exception that one is fenced and one is not, I would be willing to pay slightly more for the one with the fence. For me, personally, a fenced yard is a must for my children otherwise they would wander where ever they wanted.

:yeahthat:

I would be willing to pay a good bit more (provided the fence was good quality, attractive, etc), since we'd probably end up footing the bill for fencing ourselves plus the hassle of putting it in. What you're describing sounds lovely.

maiaann
04-03-2013, 02:04 PM
We ripped out an ugly chain length fence and put in a nice wood fence in our backyard a few years ago. We're selling our house now. The realtor said it didn't really add much to our asking price, but it does make the house more marketable. We did it for us (the chain length was awful) - it improved our backyard greatly, so if it improves your life while living there it's totally worth it!

AngB
04-03-2013, 02:15 PM
When we were househunting, it wasn't so much that we would have paid much more for a house with one, but we would have offered less or not considered a house without it (offered less as in the cost for us to fence it ourselves factored in, b/c we consider it a must.)I don't remember looking at many houses that weren't fenced, I can't remember but we may have not even bothered to look at houses that weren't.

brittone2
04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
I agree with PPs that said it is probably regional. For us it would not be a deal breaker, but might help seal our desire for a certain house. Where I live, I think the fence might help a house sell to the right buyer (someone with animals or small kids), but I don't necessarily think it would bring more money. If it did increase value, I don't think it would bring a price increase so great that you'd recoup 100% of the cost.

brittone2
04-03-2013, 02:27 PM
When we were househunting, it wasn't so much that we would have paid much more for a house with one, but we would have offered less or not considered a house without it (offered less as in the cost for us to fence it ourselves factored in, b/c we consider it a must.)I don't remember looking at many houses that weren't fenced, I can't remember but we may have not even bothered to look at houses that weren't.
I agree with this too. We installed a nice vinyl picket in our first house. Our 2nd house was on a larger lot (1.3 acres but backed up to a state forest), and we had an invisible fence that was there when we purchased the home. We decided to live with it before committing to a physical fence. We never did physically fence that property as it would have been pricey and difficult as the lot was heavily wooded other than one open grassy area. In my current house, I would have liked fencing, but right now we don't have a fence. My dog is getting older, stays with us as long as we are in sight, and my kids are getting older. I also live in a pretty calm cul de sac street in a small subdivision. So we have opted to live without a physical fence so far.

khalloc
04-03-2013, 02:27 PM
I dont think is a deterrent, but I am not sure it adds value (to the price of the home). Around here most houses are not fenced. At my current house I would not really care for a fence. It wouldnt fit in with the neighborhood.

westwoodmom04
04-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the opinions. Making the house more marketable is a bonus; it sounds like it wouldn't decrease the value for anyone. Fences are pretty common here, most of our immediate neighbors have one (all have dogs), even though they are not necessarily needed for privacy.

crl
04-03-2013, 04:17 PM
The only thing I would say is that if you have a patchwork of fencing, that may detract from the house. We have looked at properties with a mish mash of fencing and that's a downside to me. Otherwise, I think it is location specific.

Catherine

arivecchi
04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
A nice fence is definitely a bonus, but I would not pay more for a house with fencing or offer less for a house because it does not have a fence. In my area, fences are not super common since the lots are large and private, so I agree with others that the expectation of a fence is regional.

The fence you plan on adding sounds quite nice, so I think it will definitely make your home more marketable! I would go for it given that you are planning on getting a dog.

indigo99
04-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Unless you are just matching the height of the rest of the fencing in the same yard, I also prefer something taller. 5' doesn't add enough privacy IMO.

hellokitty
04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
I think it adds value (from a buyer's perspective), if the fence looks nice (ie: not a chain linked fence) and if it is high enough for actual privacy/security of pets/kids.

lovin2shop
04-03-2013, 09:05 PM
In our area, all houses have fences. Nicer ones, board on board 8ft, add significant value.

codex57
04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
I think it depends on the area. When we lived in CA, every yard had a fence. In part this is for privacy because the houses are so close together.

Here, it is not expected and I don't think a buyer would pay more for it.

Yeah. I think there are regional considerations. Here in CA, for teh most part, not having a fence is seen as a negative. Depending on where you are, it can be small to huge negative. Even in rural areas though, you generally want some kind of fence for a variety of reasons.

doberbrat
04-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Not having a fence wouldnt be a deal breaker for me but it would be a very strong negative.

One thing to consider if you're fencing part of a lot is how it divides it visually.

vonfirmath
04-03-2013, 10:23 PM

I know there was one house, when we were looking last summer, that the deciding factor in NOT pursuing it was that the yard was not fenced. There were other negatives but that tipped the balance.