PDA

View Full Version : Need a TV on DVD idea

KrisM
04-03-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm going up north by myself this weekend (yay!). I want to bring a DVD or two to watch and would like it to be a TV series that I can continue at home on Amazon or Netflix.

Three years ago, I brought LOST and finished that series last year. I don't watch a lot of TV and when I do, it tends to be HGTV or something similar. So, even relatively newer shows are unwatched by me.

I tried watching Downton Abbey a couple years ago and really didn't like it. I only got to episode 3 when I gave up.

Ideas?

Smillow
04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Veronica Mars or Mad Men?

brittone2
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Do you think you'll want lighter stuff, or more dramatic?

Mad Men is good if you haven't seen it
Big Love
Weeds (very much a YMMV with how you feel about that one, and there is violence, etc. Each season gets a little darker)
We have only watched the pilot so far, but I'm liking The Americans (Russian spies living in US)
Justified (sort of a mix of dark and not so dark I guess)
Sherlock

Have you seen The Sopranos?

Darker:
Breaking Bad
Luther

Shows we currently watch on network TV: Parenthood (I think season 1 is on amazon), The Good Wife, Castle

DH was away for 2 weeks for work recently and I watched Nashville. I wasn't sure after the first few episodes but it has been pretty fun. I am up to the current episodes now.

I have not seen Homeland but lots of people like that. Boardwalk Empire is another series I haven't watched but there are lots of fans.

I like a lot of the British dramas but if you didn't like Downton you may not like those.

elbenn
04-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Mad Men. It's so good!

rlu
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
The Battlestar Galatica reboot was good, but intense, and definitely not kid-friendly. It's all on dvd at this point.

Seconding Veronica Mars, also on dvd at this point, and Castle for lighthearted stuff.

eta: Also, Bones (which is still running)

KrisM
04-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm writing them down and will see what the library has tomorrow. I'll get a couple and give them a try. I want to be able to continue streaming if I can, but I can go to the library if I need to.

So far, I haven't seen anything listed here.

baymom
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
DH and I just started the Netflix series 'House of Cards' yesterday and I can say I thought the first two episodes were outstanding. It stars Kevin Spacey and is about Washington politics, basically. I think there are only 8 episodes out so far. I'd definitely recommend it!

Eta--just reread your OP. I don't think you can get House of Cards anywhere but straight from Netflix. We have Netflix downloaded on our phones/tablets, since we don't have a DVD player in the car and make frequent long trips and can keep the kids occupied with it. Maybe you can just download Netflix on your phone for your flight/trip?

KrisM
04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
DH and I just started the Netflix series 'House of Cards' yesterday and I can say I thought the first two episodes were outstanding. It stars Kevin Spacey and is about Washington politics, basically. I think there are only 8 episodes out so far. I'd definitely recommend it!

Eta--just reread your OP. I don't think you can get House of Cards anywhere but straight from Netflix. We have Netflix downloaded on our phones/tablets, since we don't have a DVD player in the car and make frequent long trips and can keep the kids occupied with it. Maybe you can just download Netflix on your phone for your flight/trip?

Do you mean I can download the shows to my phone to watch later? I don't have internet where I'm going. Well, I do, but I have to be standing next to the fridge with the wired signal booster connected to my phone :)

baymom
04-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure you can't download to watch later. When we've done Netlix on e-devices, it has always been streamed. Maybe you can watch from by the fridge! :tongue5:

KrisM
04-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure you can't download to watch later. When we've done Netlix on e-devices, it has always been streamed. Maybe you can watch from by the fridge! :tongue5:

Yeah, probably not! I am going to my parent's lakehouse Friday through Sunday, all by myself. Very quiet. Nice and comfy! I want to watch on the nice, big TV!

mom2binsd
04-04-2013, 02:35 AM
The Good Wife

LizLemon
04-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Game of Thrones (if you don't mind violence, sex, and nudity)

Justified (mix of drama and comedy, great writing and acting)

Veronica Mars

Parks and Recreation

Tenasparkl
04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Game of Thrones (if you don't mind violence, sex, and nudity)

Justified (mix of drama and comedy, great writing and acting)

Veronica Mars

Parks and Recreation

:yeahthat:All of these plus mad men and breaking bad (great list!)