PDA

View Full Version : Vaginal itching in 4 yr. old?

ang79
04-03-2013, 04:19 PM
My youngest is always itching down there and says it "tickles", which we think is her word for itching. This happens on and off and in the past it was due to DH using the wrong kind of body wash and it caused redness (I had the same problem when I was a kid). She normally uses Aveeno (the green cap one) and we've been using that since she was little. But in the past week the itching has increased, I notice she is rubbing at herself alot. I've looked and it is not red like it was with the soap mix-up. There is no weird smell or discharge. I'm using the same detergent as always (All Free and Clear). I'm thinking maybe we need to go up in size in panties, so will pick some up tonight, but I don't think that is the only problem. I'm guessing it may be due to not wiping well enough when she pees, so I've been trying to monitor that but don't always get in the bathroom each time she goes. Any ideas what I can put on it to ease the "tickles"? I've tried vaseline and California Baby Calendula cream but she says it doesn't help.

I've also noticed in the last few days that she has been making face twitches as well and says her nose tickles, so we've started her back on kids claritin (the Target version), thinking its allergies. She's just been a very twitchy kid the past week or so!

georgiegirl
04-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Could be yeast. You can always get at OTC anti-fungal (anti-yeast) cream to put on.

rin
04-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Maybe a yeast infection? Upping her probiotic intake could help (yogurt, kefir, etc).

7pages
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
My 3 yo was having the same problem. The pediatrician said she may be getting yeasty and to apply Lotrimin AF to the area 3x a day for a few days. It worked for us.

ang79
04-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Maybe a yeast infection? Upping her probiotic intake could help (yogurt, kefir, etc).

She does love yogurt, usually has it once a day or every other day, but I'm sure she'd eat more if I gave it to her! How much yogurt is too much in one day? I'll pick up some anti-fungal cream at Target tonight as well.

OKKiddo
04-03-2013, 08:52 PM
She does love yogurt, usually has it once a day or every other day, but I'm sure she'd eat more if I gave it to her! How much yogurt is too much in one day? I'll pick up some anti-fungal cream at Target tonight as well.

I don't think there is such a thing as too much, lol!! YUMMY!!!

Oh, you can probably look for some soothe wipes in the female care section near all the yeast infection meds, I had to use those as wipes for my son when he got a yeast infection as a baby because anything else made him itch and burn afterwards.

twowhat?
04-03-2013, 09:11 PM
I always try a little Vaseline first (sometimes parts, well, stick together, causing itching/discomfort, so get it in all the folds). If that doesn't work, then I move on to clotrimazole. But 90% of the time, I get no more complaints after the Vaseline.