PDA

View Full Version : Decorating Question

lovin2shop
04-03-2013, 06:25 PM
One of my biggest decorating weaknesses is proper scale. We have a very bulky King sized bed, and will need a piece of furniture
to hold (or sit under) a 40" TV on the wall directly across from the bed. I found a beautiful piece that I really like, but I'm nervous that it is not wide or tall enough to balance the large bed. Our bed is about 86" wide, and the console is 66" wide, and the height is about 3/4 of an inch taller than the footboard of the bed. The piece is thick and chunky, and would otherwise compliment the bold style of the bed, and it would function well for our purposes.

I feel like there are some decorating rules that I have heard in the past dealing with scale, but I don't know where I heard them or how to find them! What do you think, keep looking or this should work?

elbenn
04-03-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm not a decorator, but based on what you describe, it sounds like it will be fine. I don't think the piece needs to be longer than the bed. It sounds like it is an appropriate scale for the tv and the style complements the bed. Maybe you could post links to the bed and console piece.

sariana
04-03-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm not familiar with that rule, though I could see where it might be useful in some situations. It would be difficult with a bed, though, as they all tend to be large.

Is there any way you can make a mock-up out of cardboard or something? You won't be able to imitate the bulk, but at least you could get a sense of how something that size would look in the space. I think 66" is pretty substantial for that type of piece. I have seen a few dressers that were 76" or so, but they are rare.

sunshine873
04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
I don't know any rules, but it sounds like the height and overall style of the console will go nicely with the bed. Since the height compliments the bed, I think the width sounds fine.

crl
04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Mock up is a great idea!

Catherine