PDA

View Full Version : are you a germa-phobe?

AnnieW625
04-04-2013, 10:57 AM
I am not usually a germa phobe, but for the longest time I didn't like the lightly chlorinated little wading pools at our local park. DD1 was 4 before she ever went in one. I do like things to be clean in general and I like a clean hotel room but I don't think I would ever clean a hotel room bath tub or wash basin if it was already clean. I also only clean shopping carts usually if DD1 is with me (she likes to do it), if the shopping cart seat is dirty I just look for a cleaner one. I have never onced cleaned an airplane seat.

BabbyO
04-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Absolutely not a germaphobe.

almostmom
04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm not a germaphobe. It's not my instinct (or maybe habit) to fear sick people or wash my hands all the time. And so far, it hasn't been a problem - I don't get sick very often, nor does anyone in my family.

But now that I have a sick in-law, and I have to be really careful around him, it's hard!

janine
04-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Not at all. With kids either..I mean when they are newborn, yes but after that stage, I stop obsessing.

pinkmomagain
04-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Not a germaphobe, in fact my DH calls me dirty girl because he gets more grossed out by things (for instance the bottoms of shoes freak him out).

I am extremely lax about most things. There are a few things that can skeeve me out. Mainly buffets or any help-your-self food dispensing situation involving the masses, like a cafeteria.

I don't clean shopping carts, but after shopping, I use hand sanitizer in my car.

okinawama
04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
not even a little bit.

bigpassport
04-04-2013, 11:13 AM
The older I get, the more germaphobic I get. I'm not neurotic about it. But if there is an opportunity to avoid germs or clean them off, I do it.

BayGirl2
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Not at all.
I do use reasonable precautions in terms of washing hands before eating or when they "feel" dirty. But I really don't have issues with things like shoes in the house or dirt. I hate cleaning so maybe there's a dollup of laziness involved too. :rotflmao:

brittone2
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
I would prefer friends tell me when their kids are sick and not have my kids show up without knowing. A cold? Not an issue. Your kid was vomiting yesterday? I want to know about it so I can decide for my family whether we want to see you ;) . That's been an issue in the past a few times and does tick me off, TBH. We've had situations where our kids were put in that situation right before a major holiday, their birthday, or vacation, and got sick just in time to have the event ruined, dance recital missed, vacation delayed, etc.. Can I prove it came from the sick friend(s)? No. But my kids aren't in school, and if I can avoid a *known* exposure, I'd prefer to!

I have neighbors with two sons, and they are very, very chill about illnesses and germs. Great. I get it; I don't think you can prevent everything and I don't think we should try to. There are definite benefits to that approach for sure. But when my toddler's bday party is in a few days, please tell me your kid was up all night vomiting before they come over to play...because yeah, he was just holding hands with my toddler for the last half hour before you let me know. I don't think that makes me germaphobic; I just consider it general decency to let someone know or preferably, to stay home or in your own home/yard rather than touching my toddler. I'd also appreciate knowing before DH is heading out of town, because well, you know, 3 vomiting children and a vomiting mommy is not a fun situation for 1-2 weeks when your spouse is away, IF you can avoid a *known* exposure. Yes, they could get it anywhere, but I consider it reasonable to not expose my kids when I know someone was just sick yesterday, iykwim.

We usually take shoes off in the house, but mostly because I hate cleaning up the dirt my kids track in. I don't sweat the germ aspect. I am not fanatical about cleaning, or bleaching, etc. except when a stomach virus is rolling through here.

Colds don't really bother me, but even then, at times it was frustrating when my kids were exposed when *really* young, because all 3 of mine are croup prone. When DS1 would get a cold, it usually ended in croup. There were times I would have preferred to not be exposed to the person with the cold because for us, it ended up warranting a doctor visit and meds and long, sleepless nights, while for them, it was a mild cold. Not their fault, but a heads up is nice at times. Not the other person's fault, just annoying when it manifests as something more serious in your kid, kwim? That might border on unreasonable, it was just frustrating when my kid would always get croup with a cold.

My kids aren't in daycare or school, and while they are exposed to germs in the community at large, I really do think it is somewhat reasonable to intentionally avoid someone I *know* was vomiting yesterday.

I also have friends that have the kids who puked yesterday, they don't tell us, and then they say their kid was overheated, had a "blockage," or some other thing. While that may be true, 2 days later my kid is vomiting. Let me decide on how I want to handle that, please :)

Not sure how to vote. I think kids need exposures, but there are times in my life it has been massively inconvenient for them to be sick, and I would prefer to avoid a known exposure. No guarantee they wouldn't get sick anyway, but yeah, if you were vomiting yesterday, please tell me so I can decide it if is a bad time for us to be exposed, iykwim. Like a few days before we leave for a much awaited vacation, for example. I'd rather know and avoid.

eta: We tend to be relaxed about fevers in the absence of other concerning symptoms, we rarely head into the doc for average illnesses, and I don't necessarily freak out about the kids puking from a health standpoint, more from a I-like-my-sleep-and-hate-going-a-week-without-it-while-my-kids-puke situation. It has gotten better as the older two can feel it coming and aim pretty well, but the youngest is not so cooperative about that yet ;) I would not clean the tub in the hotel room scenario up thread unless it was really hairy or otherwise visibly gross. In that case, I'd probably just wipe baby down because my little ones often only got a bath 1-2x a week ;) Dogs licking my kids' faces, etc. is not an issue either.

dogmom
04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I put other.

Only certain ones that are rare and can kill you. So things like rabbits (Tularemia) or bats in the house (rabies) skeeve me out. I am a big fan of washing hands, cleaning stuff, but I approach that more as a preventative public health thing. Like my MIL freaking out about some illness that can really be only caught from some close contact I think is nuts. Same with the fear of toilet seats. But I go on defcon 4 for a fast moving GI bug, but that is based on sound understanding on how those viruses operate. I would also put my insistence of vaccines under this heading.

Binkandabee
04-04-2013, 12:09 PM
I suppose I am a bit of a germaphobe in some regards. I wipe down shopping carts when there are wipes available, I have a bottle of purell in the car and we use it if we've been out and about somewhere. I generally avoid buffets in general, but refuse to go to them during cold/flu season. We have a rule in our house that whenever we come in from being out somewhere, hands get washed. That's about it. Funny thing is public restrooms don't bother me a bit.

mackmama
04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
I would prefer friends tell me when their kids are sick and not have my kids show up without knowing. A cold? Not an issue. Your kid was vomiting yesterday? I want to know about it so I can decide for my family whether we want to see you ;) . That's been an issue in the past a few times and does tick me off, TBH. We've had situations where our kids were put in that situation right before a major holiday, their birthday, or vacation, and got sick just in time to have the event ruined, dance recital missed, vacation delayed, etc.. Can I prove it came from the sick friend(s)? No. But my kids aren't in school, and if I can avoid a *known* exposure, I'd prefer to!

I am a germaphobe, and it's something I'm actually trying to work on lessening. It's stressful to be worried about germs, and I don't want DC to learn that anxiety either.

I do agree with brittone2 above, though, and think it will always bother me re a known exposure. I wish my friends would let me know when their kids are sick so that I can then decide whether we want to chance an exposure.

I'm actually trying to figure out a way to ask one particular friend to let us know in advance if she/kids are sick, as she is very lax about illness and exposing others. Anyone know a good non-offensive way to phrase it? All I've come up with is "please let me know in advance if your child is sick so that we can avoid being exposed. We'd much prefer a canceled playdate than getting sick." This still just seems off-putting to me, though - so I'm hoping someone else has a better way of phrasing it?

lizzywednesday
04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
No, in general, I am not a germaphobe.

I am actually more afraid of "superbugs" than I am of general bacteria and viruses, so I actually shun hand sanitizer, antibacterial soaps, and most "anti-microbial" coatings.

I've taught DD how to wash her hands properly and, for a 3-year-old kid, she does a tolerable job. This is enough for me right now, though I am also teaching her how to blow her nose in a tissue and cough into her elbow.

If we have an illness run through the family, I launder the blankets, sheets, towels, and clean the bathrooms once we're all well. I include DD's nap blanket from daycare in the run. I try to sanitize bed pillows in the washer & dryer every few months. (I have poly-fill pillows; if they were down, I'd likely have them cleaned.) I really should start wiping down the doorknobs during illness, too.

I do, however, use a paper towel to turn off the tap and pull the door handle in a public restroom, but that's mostly because those things are rarely cleaned. It's not really a phobia, but more of a general "infection control protocol."

Like I said, I'm not phobic, just cautious. (DH admits to being phobic about most germs, and this is something we deal with in our own ways.)

sarahsthreads
04-04-2013, 12:48 PM

This exactly!

I don't think I'm a germaphobe (although I definitely am generous with the hand sanitizer at the children's museum) but if your kids are sick (especially with a tummy bug) I really don't want my kids to be exposed if it's not necessary.

Sarah :)

emily
04-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I think I'm somewhere in the middle, but admit I have some nutty quirks ...

I wipe down shopping carts /high chairs if wipes are handy. But don't sweat it, if I don't.
I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE when someone uses my phone at work. Ditto for my pens. (mostly b/c there are a few here that don't use soap after they've used the bathroom)
I use the paper towel used to dry my hands to open public bathroom doors when leaving.
I carry hand sanitizer and insist kids use it when we get back in the car if we've been out.
Everyones hands get washed first thing when we walk in the door.
I don't stress over germs too much at daycare. It is what it is, I can't control it.
I travel with extra sheets and a thin blanket. I never use hotel blankets.
I scrub hotel bathtub before I will wash DCs in them. I actually travel with a sponge just for this purpose.

Philly Mom
04-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Not in the slightest. Today we were at CHOP for an appointment. DD dropped a cracker on the floor. I actually thought about giving it back to her. Instead, I did throw it out. That said, she will put her hands on the floor all the time and she sucks her thumb so if I was a germaphobe I would be losing the battle.

smilequeen
04-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Not even a little. I mean, I'm not going to sit right next to you if I know you have a stomach virus or the flu, but otherwise, I'm just not going to worry about it. I like things to be clean. As long as I think things are clean, I'm cool.

I'm more scared of germaphobes disinfecting every little thing and slathering hand sanitizer all over everything thus creating superbugs than I am of the germs themselves.

bisous
04-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Not even a little. I mean, I'm not going to sit right next to you if I know you have a stomach virus or the flu, but otherwise, I'm just not going to worry about it. I like things to be clean. As long as I think things are clean, I'm cool.

I'm more scared of germaphobes disinfecting every little thing and slathering hand sanitizer all over everything thus creating superbugs than I am of the germs themselves.

This is absolutely me to a t.

indigo99
04-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I am about some things and not others although I guess I'd say that I'm a germaphobe in general. I do:
carry hand sanitizer and use it before eating out
wash our hands when we get home, after bathroom, before eating anything
don't wear shoes in the house
wipe down shopping carts when I can
Don't open bathroom doors with my hand when leaving

However, I've sometimes let DS eat things that he's dropped on the table or chair in restaurants (but the ICK! GERMS! thought does register). I also let him eat an unwashed strawberry at the store recently, although the fact that I wouldn't normally do this probably confirms that I'm a germaphobe.

eta: Our hand sanitizer is alcohol based. Does that still contribute to supergerms like antibacterial stuff does?

pinkmomagain
04-04-2013, 01:37 PM
That said, she will put her hands on the floor all the time and she sucks her thumb so if I was a germaphobe I would be losing the battle.

DD2 (former thumbsucker) is by far the healthiest of my 3 kids. She rarely gets sick. I theorize that her thumbsucking has something to do with it.

hillview
04-04-2013, 01:39 PM
well gosh I guess it depends on how you define that. I wash my hands often (before handling food, when I come home etc). I don't touch the doors in a bathroom, I use my sleeve or coat etc. We don't wear shoes in the house. I DO eat food that falls on our kitchen floor (it is cleaned weekly at least).

wendibird22
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Pretty much no. I hate going bare foot in locker rooms and at pools, so the worst is a pool locker room! I don't wipe down carts or high chairs and I rarely use hand sanitizer. We wash hands before a meal or when we get home from being out somewhere. My dog licked my kids when they were babies and they've eaten food off the floor (5 second rule on a clean floor doesn't cause me angst). I figure if I can keep the kids from sharing a cup or coughing onto each other then I'm winning half the battle!

BayGirl2
04-04-2013, 03:51 PM

Can I just BP for a minute here? What I hate is seeing hand sanitizer NEXT TO A SINK. Hand sanitizer is appropriate when you cannot get to soap and water to wash your hands. Perfect use for the product. If you just washed your hands with soap you have removed the germs, no need to pump more chemicals onto them to kill the good stuff.

The manufacturer of Purell was once a client of mine so I'm conscious of their products. Over the last 5 years I've noticed the trend of putting hand sanitizers in bathrooms, kitchens, other places near sinks. That makes zero sense to me from a hygiene perspective. I'm all in favor of pump stationed in hand shaking or food serving areas, but not this.
Am I alone in this one?

crl
04-04-2013, 04:38 PM

This is me.

Catherine

anonomom
04-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Can I just BP for a minute here? What I hate is seeing hand sanitizer NEXT TO A SINK. Hand sanitizer is appropriate when you cannot get to soap and water to wash your hands. Perfect use for the product. If you just washed your hands with soap you have removed the germs, no need to pump more chemicals onto them to kill the good stuff.

The manufacturer of Purell was once a client of mine so I'm conscious of their products. Over the last 5 years I've noticed the trend of putting hand sanitizers in bathrooms, kitchens, other places near sinks. That makes zero sense to me from a hygiene perspective. I'm all in favor of pump stationed in hand shaking or food serving areas, but not this.
Am I alone in this one?

No you're not alone. Plus, I cannot tell you the number of people I have seen in public bathrooms who completely skip washing their hands in favor of a squirt of sanitizer. Squicks me out.

I tend to be relaxed about germs with one exception: stomach bugs. I dread stomach bugs to an almost irrational degree. If one of your kids has thrown up in the last 24-36 hours, not only don't I want to see the kid, but I hope your entire family keeps your distance. We recently had friends over to dinner and their son came down with a bug right before dessert. That, of course, didn't bother me, but I did spend a good hour wiping down everything he had touched.

hellokitty
04-04-2013, 05:23 PM
I am, but I was even before I had kids. I'm actually slightly more relaxed about it now that I am on my third kid. However, I am the mom who makes sure her kids wash their hands before eating anything and from my observation, I'm like the 1%ile that does it, nobody else seems to mind.

calv
04-04-2013, 07:04 PM
I am a germaphobe due to the fact of having hospitalized kids due to a puke bug. Basic thngs like hand washing when getting home, before cooking, after handling meat, diaper changes, etc. I'm shocked to see how many people dont wash their hands after changing their childs diaper. Mmmmm, bottle for the baby anyone? LOL.

As far as when our family is sick we notify familly and friends. whether it be a cold, flu or throw up bug. I know I appreciate it when others do the same for us and then leave it up to us to see if we want to be together if you or your family had a 104 temp a day ago or was puking 48 hours ago.

doberbrat
04-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Can I just BP for a minute here? What I hate is seeing hand sanitizer NEXT TO A SINK. Hand sanitizer is appropriate when you cannot get to soap and water to wash your hands. Perfect use for the product.

:yeahthat: Amen! I sometimes let my girls use sanitizer after blowing their nose when they're sick so they dont have to run to the bathroom EVERY time (they're more willing to blow their noses that way) but in general, I insist on soap and water. To me, sanitizer is for when you cant get to water or when its not realistic to use it. ... when I'm in the woods and I clean up after my dog for instance. Or when we're in the car on the way home from somewhere and the kids want a snack...

But, I'm a total germaphobe. I'd never eat food off the floor (assuming my dogs actually let the food get to the floor). I wipe down tables before we eat at them in public places and I dont put my kids in shopping carts until they're at least 2. Still, by my family's standards, I'm the 'normal' one.....

JBaxter
04-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Nope I mean we wash hands after we go to the bathroom but after about 9months old I stopped wiping off the shopping carts but I used my beco carrier mostly. Jack is 4.5 and has had antibiotics 2x in his life. They are insanely healthy. Connor had a stomach virus at Christmas and before that it was 3 yrs since anyone had the pukes here.

StantonHyde
04-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Is there an opposite of germa phobe?? I grew up in rural areas. I am VERY comfortable with germs of all kinds. It only makes you stronger!! In fact, research shows this--farm kids exposed to all sorts of germ have less issue with allergies, asthma etc. Believe me, my housekeeping is an example of this! :D

Tondi G
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm not a germaphobe but like other said, I would like to know if someone else's child has a cold or stomach bug before they come over and we come to their home. My boys were the ear infection prone kids .... my neighbor had a DD who was literally sick from about September till April every year... coughing or runny nose was almost constant. We never knew if it was a lingering symptom or a new illness coming on. They didn't care. My boys would catch that cold and end up on antibiotics for a double ear infection. It was a real PITA!

I despise throwing up so if I can avoid someone who has recently vomited or had a stomach bug then I do it!

Other than that .... no I am not a germaphobe.

StantonHyde
04-04-2013, 07:47 PM

Am I alone in this one?

The standard in health care is that you wash if your hands are visibly soiled, otherwise, you sanitize. People--even trained people--do not wash their hands well. Santizer is better if hands are not visibly soiled. I guess I put the sanitizer next to the sink just because I have to put it somewhere. But the idea of washing AND sanitizing--um,no. The only time I did that was when DS had some horrible tummy virus and I just did not want to get it. I was coated in sanitizer!!

gatorsmom
04-04-2013, 07:58 PM
I feel like I'm a bit more of a germaphobe than other people. It's not excessive but I notice it. But I suspect I'm slightly OCD so I think it stems from that.

AnnieW625
04-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Am I alone in this one?

Nope, not alone. That bugs me as well. I am not a huge fan of bathroom soaps like Dial, but definitely would rather use that than put dubious amounts of hand sanitizers on my hand vs. just rinsung off the soap. The only time I have hand sanitizer with me is if we are not near a bathroom when we are ready to eat. Hand sanitizer isn't good for my DDs hands at all due to eczema. Even though I have told her teacher not to have DD1 use the hand sanitizer she still does and then DD1 complains that her hand itch or they start to crack or get bumpy/scaly.

todzwife
04-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Only when it comes to vomit bugs. I've had kids hospitalized as well and having emetophobia I don't do well with it anyway.

BayGirl2
04-04-2013, 08:08 PM
The standard in health care is that you wash if your hands are visibly soiled, otherwise, you sanitize. People--even trained people--do not wash their hands well. Santizer is better if hands are not visibly soiled. I guess I put the sanitizer next to the sink just because I have to put it somewhere. But the idea of washing AND sanitizing--um,no. The only time I did that was when DS had some horrible tummy virus and I just did not want to get it. I was coated in sanitizer!!

So that makes sense to me, and I am completely in favor of sanitizer in a healthcare environment. Although I do feel back for HC professionals who have to use that alcohol based sanitizer all day, it burns my eczema-prone hands.

I'm actually seeing this more and more in public restrooms, like office environments and restaurants. And they are permanently installed pumps. That's just not logical to me. A bottle sitting by the sink in your home wouldn't phase me.

BayGirl2
04-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Nope, not alone. That bugs me as well. I am not a huge fan of bathroom soaps like Dial, but definitely would rather use that than put dubious amounts of hand sanitizers on my hand vs. just rinsung off the soap. The only time I have hand sanitizer with me is if we are not near a bathroom when we are ready to eat. Hand sanitizer isn't good for my DDs hands at all due to eczema. Even though I have told her teacher not to have DD1 use the hand sanitizer she still does and then DD1 complains that her hand itch or they start to crack or get bumpy/scaly.

For me and my DS with eczema issues on our hands we use the Gold Bond antibacterial cream. I get little sample sizes at target and CVS. It does the trick when we're out and need germ control but doesn't burn like alcohol-based sanitizer does.

AnnieW625
04-04-2013, 08:18 PM
For me and my DS with eczema issues on our hands we use the Gold Bond antibacterial cream. I get little sample sizes at target and CVS. It does the trick when we're out and need germ control but doesn't burn like alcohol-based sanitizer does.

Thanks for that rec.! We have the Clean Well spray, but DD1 isn't very villigent about using it because I think it stings a bit too.

brittone2
04-04-2013, 08:23 PM
The refillable soap dispensers have been linked to spreading bacteria. I don't worry about it, but that's where it gets complicated to compare sanitizer to the refillable dispensers.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/742125 (might need a login for that one)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110502161423.htm

niccig
04-04-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm not, my house is reasonably clean, we wash our hands but not all the time. I agree with germs making you stronger.

But I do have a friend whose house skeeves me out. I don't want to touch anything as it's pretty dirty. If there's a pot luck, I won't eat her food as I know they use things way past expiry date eg. over a week old taco meat, and I knew it was old as I cooked it. They offered it to me 10 days later...um, no and this may be why they always have GI bugs.

SnuggleBuggles
04-04-2013, 10:11 PM
I have a theory on the sanitizer next to the sink (and I can almost support it). The faucets are dirty. Wash my hands, get them all clean, then grab the dirty faucets to turn off the water? Not ideal. I don't use the sanitizer but that sequence above has me understand it.

lizzywednesday
04-05-2013, 02:49 PM
I have a theory on the sanitizer next to the sink (and I can almost support it). The faucets are dirty. Wash my hands, get them all clean, then grab the dirty faucets to turn off the water? Not ideal. I don't use the sanitizer but that sequence above has me understand it.

You're supposed to use the paper towel you used to dry your hands to turn off the tap.

Or your elbow if they don't have paper towels.