PDA

View Full Version : One Big Bow - heard of it?

citymama
04-04-2013, 04:37 PM
This is sort of a spin-off from the other thread about birthday parties. We got an invite to a b'day party through One Big Bow )http://www.onebigbow.com/). The idea is something like this: the site sends out the birthday party invite and provides the option for guests to chip in for one big gift that the birthday child really wants, instead of each family shopping for a gift that may cost them more and may not get used. The kid who invited us picked an easel and basic art supplies on amazon.com and the contributions worked out to $8 per family if everyone chipped in, but you could give more or less, or not participate in the joint gift at all. I thought it was an interesting take on the "simplifying birthdays" debate - as a guests, you still got to give a gift, but you spent a lot less and it was something the kid actually wanted. It was also optional - if you felt like buying stomp rockets or whatever, you could.

I personally don't see myself using it - I don't like telling people what to give me (unless it's my DH, :rotflmao:) but it might be of interest to some others who want to do no gifts, or find ways to reduce the influx of presents. I find there's some value in getting my kids to be gracious recipients of whatever they receive, but I bet this reduces the post-birthday clutter!

123LuckyMom
04-04-2013, 07:05 PM
How do thank you notes work? Does the child see who donated and how much?

citymama
04-04-2013, 07:13 PM
How do thank you notes work? Does the child see who donated and how much?

No - donation amounts are anonymous (according to the website).