PDA

View Full Version : What am I forgetting? (birthday dinner for dd)

crl
04-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Dd turns three this week and we are not doing a party per se. But we are inviting a family that lives a couple of houses down for a BBQ. Their oldest daughter babysits for us and dd loves her and the family has had my kids over for dinner/snacks when their daughter is babysitting so we also wanted to return the hospitality.

I asked about food allergies or restrictions and was told their youngest (about eight) is a vegetarian so she would just skip the BBQ and eat the sides.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Drinks: beer; syrah, cab or Riesling; water, milk, juice, regular soda, diet soda, maybe some fizzy lemandae or the like for the kids

Appetizers: Cheese (cheddar, Stilton with dried apricots, Brie) and crackers, fruit plate

Main course: Ribs (dh has mastered these on his smoker), smoked turkey (we usually do a smoked turkey breast for sandwiches when we do ribs and it gives guests a choice if they don't like ribs), Mac n cheese (good for the vegetarian child, right?), corn bread, salad, green beans.

Dessert: cupcakes and ice cream, TJ chocolate almond bark, TJ smashing s'mores chocolates, TJ salted caramels

Do we need to add hot dogs? Ds and dd will eat the ribs. The remaining child who eats meat is the 14 year old babysitter. Usually when we do hot dogs "for the kids" the kids all ignore the hot dogs and eat ribs like there's no tomorrow.

For decorations I was just going to do flower (dd loves them and begs for them every time we go to the store) and party hats (dd has been asking for them--wearing them optional, of course).

We have enough plates, silverware, etc.

I specified no presents in the invite and we won't open our family presents while they are here, of course. Really just planning dinner with a round of happy birthday at the end.

Did I forget anything?

Thanks!

kristenk
04-04-2013, 11:12 PM
It sounds like you have everything covered! I don't think you need to have as many drink options as you have, but I'm assuming that most of those are things you have around the house vs going out and buying specifically for the dinner.

crl
04-04-2013, 11:21 PM
It sounds like you have everything covered! I don't think you need to have as many drink options as you have, but I'm assuming that most of those are things you have around the house vs going out and buying specifically for the dinner.

Yes. I did buy the Reisling because we don't usually drink white and when I googled that was the white suggestion I saw for BBQ pork. If I do fizzy lemonade, I will have to buy that. Everything else we already have around.

Thanks!
Catherine

gatorsmom
04-04-2013, 11:29 PM
How about a birthday candle for her cupcake? Got matches or a lighter? Have your camera batteries charged?

crl
04-04-2013, 11:59 PM
How about a birthday candle for her cupcake? Got matches or a lighter? Have your camera batteries charged?

Good on all of those fronts! Thank you!

Does anyone think we must have after dinner coffee? We don't drink coffee and I haven't found the carafe to our coffee maker since our move. I could buy some dessert wine? Or just call it good without either.

Catherine

gatorsmom
04-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Good on all of those fronts! Thank you!

Does anyone think we must have after dinner coffee? We don't drink coffee and I haven't found the carafe to our coffee maker since our move. I could buy some dessert wine? Or just call it good without either.

Catherine

I think you are ok without it. I've never been able to make a good pot of coffee so I just offer water with dessert. :)

It sounds like you have a nice party planned!

crl
04-05-2013, 12:05 AM
I think you are ok without it. I've never been able to make a good pot of coffee so I just offer water with dessert. :)

It sounds like you have a nice party planned!

I am so bad at coffee that my mom just makes it for my parents when they come and stay with us. And when I have friends over, I tell them they should make their own because even my mother won't drink my coffee. :hysterical:

Catherine.

gatorsmom
04-05-2013, 12:09 AM
I am so bad at coffee that my mom just makes it for my parents when they come and stay with us. And when I have friends over, I tell them they should make their own because even my mother won't drink my coffee. :hysterical:

Catherine.

That's funny. My parents were the same way. They actually bought a coffee maker to store and use at our house when they came to stay. And that is the only time it got used. :D

KpbS
04-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Napkins/plates/cups/utensils, ice, and balloon(s)?

crl
04-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Napkins/plates/cups/utensils, ice, and balloon(s)?

Good on the plates, etc front. Am I terrible if I skip balloons? I'm not a huge fan and I was planning on flowers as I love them and dd has been asking for them every time we go to the store.

Catherine

KpbS
04-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Good on the plates, etc front. Am I terrible if I skip balloons? I'm not a huge fan and I was planning on flowers as I love them and dd has been asking for them every time we go to the store.

Catherine

Oh no, I think just one is a nice touch maybe outside/on the mailbox but totally not necessary if you want to skip them. Have a fun party! :)