PDA

View Full Version : Quick question...is Mucinex OK to take while pregnant?

sarahsthreads
04-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Here instead of pregnancy 411 for hopefully quick responses!

I'm dealing with a killer cold and I cannot breathe through my nose AT ALL. I really want to go to bed, but I know I'm going to wind up with the worst sore throat ever if I do because I am completely stuffed up.

I'm 19 weeks.

I have Mucinex (600mg guaifenesin) in the house. The internet has mixed messages on whether that's OK to take or not. Some say yes, some say no, some say "only if strictly necessary". Um. OK. Well, I probably won't *die* if I don't take it, so I suppose it's not "strictly necessary", but I probably won't get much sleep if I don't.

I don't have a humidifier (yeah, I know, I should), and sleeping propped up on pillows for the past several nights hasn't helped much and tonight I'm way stuffier anyway.

Help?

Sarah

Beckylove
04-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Guaifenesin is on the list of ok to take medicines from my ob office

sarahsthreads
04-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Awesome, thanks! I probably got one of those and promptly lost it. Which is crazy considering how much I've been sick this time around. :(

Sarah

hellbennt
04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
fwiw:

"Hale helped start the Infant Risk hotline at Texas Tech. It is designed to help nursing moms to get info on data/safety of medications while BFing."

http://www.infantrisk.com/

sarahsthreads
04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Thank you! I'm bookmarking that site now!

The Mucinex did help me sleep, thankfully. DH found the list my midwife gave me (there was a "welcome to your pregnancy" folder that I promptly put aside and forgot about, and it was in there.) It had Robitussin as an OK medication, and since Mucinex is the same ingredient, just a larger dosage that's a timed-release thing, he convinced me it would be OK. I think he was just tired of listening to me whine!

I feel like I totally can't catch a break this time around. I've had ONE week this entire pregnancy where I didn't have a GI bug or morning sickness or a cold. EVERYTHING the kids bring home I get, 10x worse. So frustrating. :(

Sarah