PDA

View Full Version : CD with popular kid music?

KrisM
04-05-2013, 12:06 AM
I don't typically listen to music these days. And, if I do, it's a CD and old :). But, DS1 would like music for his birthday. Something that kids are listening to, but I really have no clue! Any recs? He'll be 9.

citymama
04-05-2013, 01:29 AM
How about the new Justin Timberlake CD? I don't know of it's 9 yr old appropriate but it gets great reviews.

ncat
04-05-2013, 06:43 AM
DD loves anything Taylor Swift. Like you, we're old fashioned and buy CDs.

Twoboos
04-05-2013, 08:04 AM
I'd do a KidzBop, which is cleaned up versions of popular songs, sung by kids. That way you don't have to worry about questionable lyrics. (Although I admit we do a mix of KidzBop and regular radio versions of songs around here.)

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2013, 08:36 AM
I think 9yo is too old for something like KidzBop. Kids know the real stuff. They hear it out in the world, even if parents don't play it. I know ds1's bus driver plays the pop station on the bus, for example.

My suggestion is to go to iTunes, see what the top songs are, look for the clean version (only shows up if the original is explicit), put together a playlist and burn it to a cd. You'll get good variety and say about what goes on.

Twoboos
04-05-2013, 08:59 AM
I think 9yo is too old for something like KidzBop. Kids know the real stuff. They hear it out in the world, even if parents don't play it. I know ds1's bus driver plays the pop station on the bus, for example.

My kids like both, KB and the real thing (thanks to me, never mind the world. ;)).

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2013, 09:26 AM
My kids like both, KB and the real thing (thanks to me, never mind the world. ;)).

That's good. I guess I was just basing it on my 10yo and his friends. Of course, I have a bias against KidzBop or other popular music sung by kids...like nails on a chalkboard. :) So, take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

Twoboos
04-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Of course, I have a bias against KidzBop or other popular music sung by kids...like nails on a chalkboard. :)

Oh I hear ya on that! Sometimes I need a palate cleanser and insist on hard rock. I made them listen to Rage Against thee Machine's "Renegades of Funk" (clean) the other day. They loved it and were rocking out!! :rotflmao:

KrisM
04-05-2013, 10:04 AM
My guess is that he has no idea what he wants, but thinks it's a good idea. He's not very social and is kind of in his own world. DD sings songs she hears, but he never does or mentions them. So, I'm not sure where he would have heard them.

So, I went to iTunes (for the very first time) and went to charts and then songs. Is the order they are in ranked for popularity? I've never heard any of these songs before.

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Yes, popularity. If you click on the chart, it'll give you like the top 100 songs...head to the bottom of the list for songs you are all more likely to know.

boolady
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
You could also look at the songs on the two most recent Kidzbops CDs and get the actual, clean versions. They're generally a pretty good indicator of what the kids are listening to, at least based on my DD and her friends. 22 and 23 are the most recent.

sariana
04-05-2013, 10:56 AM
We like the Radio Disney compilations. I think volume 13 is the most recent.

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2013, 11:02 AM
You could have dd make the playlist. :)

lizzywednesday
04-05-2013, 01:35 PM
You'll want to look for "radio edit" versions of songs that could have explicit lyrics if you want to avoid KidzBop.

More than that, my usual suggestion is Weird Al, but I don't think he's put an album out since Poodle Hat, though he's got a few new parodies out online.

KrisM
04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
You could have dd make the playlist. :)

You're probably right!

I played some of the clips on the Kidz Bop CDs from Amazon and DD knew most of the ones on #22 and a couple on #23. I recognized some of #22 from what they play at her cheer class, too. So, those are probably good song choices and I can put something together from that.

As an added bonus, I apparently bought the Kidz Bop 22 when it was $3.99 back in August :). I think I should do something with that. DD would like it, I am sure.

KrisM
04-05-2013, 03:12 PM
One more question...

So far, we just add random songs to their mp3 players. DD requests them and DS1 has just listened to whatever DH puts on (The Who, Boston, etc). For a birthday gift, is it better to buy the CD and then transfer the songs to his mp3 player? I can wrap a CD. If you just do the digital version, what do you do to make it a gift?

KrisM
04-05-2013, 03:16 PM
You'll want to look for "radio edit" versions of songs that could have explicit lyrics if you want to avoid KidzBop.

More than that, my usual suggestion is Weird Al, but I don't think he's put an album out since Poodle Hat, though he's got a few new parodies out online.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpocalypse/dp/B0055DOV66/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365189156&sr=8-2&keywords=weird+al

KrisM
04-05-2013, 03:54 PM

When I look for 'radio edit' versions, I get a ton. How do I pick? I'm in Amazon, as we are not an iHouse.

marie
04-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Just wanted to mention that Common Sense media reviews music, too.
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/music-lists

mnosky1
04-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Is radio Disney available in your area? Our is an AM station but my 9 year old DD "loves" the music. That could guide you in in what to buy. I listen to older stuff and Christian music so I don't know what's in but my husband listens to popular stuff on XM and the kids like about half of the stuff on the top 40 type stations on XM.
My 9 y/o is also begging for "Kids bop 23" the new one they advertise on tv. I'd prefer the songs by the real artists too but it's a nice variety of songs all on one CD.
Our library has tons of kids and tween CDs. Most can be copied to iTunes if you have iPods and use it. A lot of times my girls want 1 or 2 songs from a tv show or movie and the library is great for this.