PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong that I want a simpler way to watch shows on tv?

gatorsmom
04-05-2013, 12:34 AM
We don't have cable on our bedroom tv. Instead dh has apple tv, and some computer program to surf the net for any movie you could want. I need 3 different remotes to work it and and an advanced degree in computer science. At 10pm my mind is mush. I cant figure out these fancy systems. We should
get rid of them. I usually end up reading a book instead. It's easier.

LizLemon
04-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Hopefully this isn't too advice-y. We have Google tv and a Direct Tv box on the same TV, so you can still use the TV remote for watching TV most of the time. I don't remember how Apple TV works but would that be possible? Seems like you should at least be able to have cable/satellite as one of the inputs on your TV.

It does sound really annoying to not have a simple option, particularly when you just want to relax for a bit!

123LuckyMom
04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
I completely understand! My DH can't figure out all the multiple remotes in our house, either. He can't ever watch anything without my help. It's the same for babysitters. I wish I could simplify the system, but it would take one of those universal remotes with extensive programming capabilities-- the super expensive ones. My mom has one, and the glitches and lag time make it complicated to use, too! Oh for the days of 13 channels and one remote. (I even remember having no remotes and having to turn the dial!)

gatorsmom
04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
I completely understand! My DH can't figure out all the multiple remotes in our house, either. He can't ever watch anything without my help. It's the same for babysitters. I wish I could simplify the system, but it would take one of those universal remotes with extensive programming capabilities-- the super expensive ones. My mom has one, and the glitches and lag time make it complicated to use, too! Oh for the days of 13 channels and one remote. (I even remember having no remotes and having to turn the dial!)

I remember this too! My parents would always ask my brother and I to run over to the tv and turn it to a channel after they consulted the TV guide. My brother and I were the remote. :tongue5:

Tea4two
04-05-2013, 09:51 AM
I hear you! Thankfully, we have only one main remote for tv. But if we watch a movie or roku, multiple remotes come into play. We use the playstation for movies. Navigating the PS controller is maddening. It makes no sense and I always press the wrong thing. So annoying.

I also remember having no remotes and dial tv. :)

Toba
04-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I totally hear you too!! A while ago, I decided we were no longer buying actual Blu-ray DVDs and we were going to use Comcast (same day as DVD release) to rent them for savings because most of the time, we only watch the stupid movie once. Then I was good ... just really needed the Comcast remote (we have a *ridiculous* number of big screen HD LED TVs and cable DVRs in our house ... so ridiculous, I'm embarrassed to even say how many). THEN, DH wanted Netflix. THEN, DH wanted Hulu+. THEN, we both wanted an Apple TV box (we have two now, one for the first floor and one for the second floor). Why we needed all this is beyond me. Did I mention I have Amazon Prime and never use the streaming option because I already have too many options that I can't figure out? I can't remember which TV input works on which service and I can't for the life of me figure out why we have so many redundant services that WE'RE PAYING MONTHLY FEES FOR (this post has made me see just how ridiculous it really is)!!! Honestly, I would be happy with just the Apple TV and the DVRs (for instance, we and my sister's family just watched all three seasons of Downton Abbey for free on Comcast ... I'm SOOO hooked on that show ... not to mention True Blood is going to be here in two months!!!). I'm still struggling with remembering the inputs for which TVs to use the Apple TV (I don't watch much TV though, and the TV is never on when I'm home alone). And the worst part is now DH is BUYING and not renting the movies on the Apple TV (admittedly, we have watched several of them many times, but still!!!) and sometimes on the Comcast OnDemand (same day as DVD release). The funniest thing is when we bought our main big screen TV ($$$$), we bought a sound system to go with it and DH got me the Harmony remote "to make it easier on me." I STILL have trouble with the stupid thing and generally just throw it at DH and make him que up whatever we're going to watch. Then he has the nerve to remind me that I have an app on my iPhone that will control the Apple TV too ... really, you want to go there?? He's lucky I don't throw that at him too. It's so absurd, frustrating and a huge waste of money (I'm canceling Netflix and Hulu+ as soon as I'm done with this post).

And the stupidest of all is that when Sandy blew through, we had no access to any of it (the purchased movies). We got lucky in that we only had intermittent power issues (my parents that live just down the street had no power for over two weeks), but we lost our internet/cable completely for about 12 or 13 days. So because I stopped buying the actual DVDs, everything was stuck behind Comcast's non-working system or up in the freaking cloud from the Apple TV because it requires internet access. No remote would save us from that!! UGH!!!

Our bedroom is the worst. Our furniture is oversized and we have a king sized bed. We have the Comcast remote, the Apple remote, the actual TV remote (not sure if that's even used), the ceiling fan/light remote and a separate fan remote for me (I'm always hot). If you leave them on one of the nightstands, you have to walk around the entire huge bed or dive across the bed. If you leave them on the bed (we've tried multiple remote holders for this, none work), they invariably either fall between the headboard and wall (and since it's oversized furniture, I cannot move the bed myself), get lost in the sheets/blankets or fall under the bed somewhere. Too many remotes for one room!!!

PS: Our area has only Comcast (everyone I know that has DirectTV hates it), so they have no competition. Which means we have the crappiest and SOOO outdated DVRs they can find. I know they offer a multi-room DVR in other areas (it's actually advertised in our area!!), but our boxes are literally like a decade behind those and they will NOT offer them (I've begged and pleaded multiple times). It would save us SO much $$$ to have to lease only one box.

Sorry this turned into a novel. Remotes are one of my biggest pet peeves.