PDA

View Full Version : Wheat allergy?

weech
04-05-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm on vacation with my entire family right now and just got a call from my primary care doctor saying that I have a wheat allergy! She did a blood test for food allergies about a week ago based on some GI symptoms and general feelings of awfulness but I did not expect this.

I'm going to schedule an appointment with my allergist ASAP, but in the meantime, has anyone BTDT? Is a wheat allergy the same as gluten intolerance? Should I be cutting out all wheat now or wait until I have more information from the doctors? Eep. Will I grow out of this?!

wellyes
04-05-2013, 09:05 AM
It's a common allergy. Very manageable.
For now, avoid wheat (beer, pasta, bread).
Lots of fruits, veggies, meats, etc. For starch, rice and potatoes are fine.
When you get back from vacation, time to research and figure it out.

Avoiding wheat is easier than avoiding gluten, and a wheat allergy is less serious than celiac disease, which is an autoimmune condition. So no need to panic. A little lifestyle adjustment should make life better for you, and that's a good thing right?

Have a good vacation!

wendibird22
04-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Wheat allergy and gluten sensitivity are not the same. With gluten you have to avoid wheat, rye, barley. With wheat allergy it's just wheat. Plus a wheat allergy is a true allergic reaction whereas gluten sensitivity is an autoimmune response that caused damage to the GI track. Unfortunately many people, and even some docs, use the terms interchangeably. Celiac is tested by an antibody test not a RAST test (which is done for food allergies). So if you had a RAST test done then you have a wheat allergy and not a gluten sensitivity or celiac.

marymoo86
04-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Wheat is commonly among the items called out on packages too - will say "wheat free" etc.

You will need to read labels though b/c wheat is used for so many things. I even saw "wheat syrup" on jelly beans. Now don't know if it causes any reaction but just so you know. Caramel color is often made with wheat as well.

There are tons of great sites for recipe info and how to use flour subs for wheat flour. I do not eat it by choice and haven't noticed much in the way of inconvenience except for eating out but that is usually solved by a little planning ahead.

wendibird22
04-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Oh and definitely check out some celiac sites for info on what is/isn't wheat free on ingredients lists. There are some differences between US and Canada and some ingredients are so highly processed or distilled that the wheat proteins are removed.

Caramel color/flavor in the US is likely wheat free. I eat it without a problem. http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/celiacdiseasefaqs/f/Caramel_Coloring.htm

While gluten-containing ingredients can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies are now using glucose from corn, or sometimes sucrose (table sugar). In Europe, Shelley says, companies use glucose syrup that's derived from wheat starch, but the caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.

weech
04-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll definitely do some research and do my best to avoid wheat. It seems like its in everything. I guess I'm a little unclear on whether its necessary to avoid even trace amounts of wheat but hopefully the allergist will have some guidance.

sariana
04-05-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't know if this will matter for you, but be aware that wheat is a common ingredient in cosmetic products too. It is a source of vitamin E. I have a dermal wheat allergy and have to avoid wheat in shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. It is most commonly listed as "hydrolyzed wheat protein" or "wheat germ oil." Either one gives me a rash (but I eat wheat with no trouble).