PDA

View Full Version : What should I read next?

SunshineWedding
04-05-2013, 10:28 AM
The last few books I've tried reading have left me unmoved! I'd love some suggestions. My most recent reads that I've enjoyed are Defending Jacob, The Kitchen House, The Paris Wife, Gone Girl, The Sandcastle Girls. Are you reading anything great now? I've no interest in vampires YA books (sorry!). Thanks -

lizzywednesday
04-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Have you read The Memory-Keeper's Daughter? (Link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Keepers-Daughter-Novel/dp/0143037145)

It's sad in some parts, but I actually did enjoy it quite a bit.

It's not recent, but seems to fit with your recent likes.

wellyes
04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Very smart and funny, by a TV comedy writer who is really sharp. With a healthy does of social satire about PTOs, Ted talks and a Microsoft-like company.

State of Wonder is the lastest Ann Patchett, about a woman scientist who travels to the Amazon to look into some mysterious research her company is doing. Ann Patchett is an excellent writer, this is a Heart-of-Darkness type mystery that kept me guessing.

boolady
04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm in the middle of The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani. I also really liked Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. Have you read American Heiress, by Daisy Goodwin? Based on your previous reads, you might enjoy these.

boolady
04-05-2013, 10:42 AM
State of Wonder is the lastest Ann Patchett, about a woman scientist who travels to the Amazon to look into some mysterious research her company is doing. Ann Patchett is an excellent writer, this is a Heart-of-Darkness type mystery that kept me guessing.

:yeahthat: This was a great read, too.

almostmom
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I just finished State of Wonder as well and it was AMAZING. So well written and I couldn't put it down.

psimpson3-5
04-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Middlesex (http://amzn.com/0312427735)

I really loved this book. It was published several years ago. I suggest it to all of my friends. It was written by the author of The Virgin Suicides.

westwoodmom04
04-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Middlesex (http://amzn.com/0312427735)

I really loved this book. It was published several years ago. I suggest it to all of my friends. It was written by the author of The Virgin Suicides.

I love Middlesex too.

lil_acorn
04-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I agree on Where'd You Go, Bernadette

I also just finished Tell the Wolves I'm Home and that was excellent as well.

sfmom
04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
I love Middlesex too.

Ditto! Great book!!

PunkyBoo
04-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Just finished Losing Clementine by Ashley Reams. Its a sensitive subject matter (mental illness, suicide) but written so well. The main character is captivating and irreverent and so funny.

SunshineWedding
04-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions, I will check them all out. I read State of Wonder last year and enjoyed it. Keep the suggestions coming!

TIA

kcimato
04-05-2013, 08:09 PM
I am not into vampire books either and it looks like we have read a lot of the same books. Here are a few on my list:
The Flight of Gemma Hardy
One Thousand White Women
Molokai"i
My Name is Mary Suter
Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker
Killing Lincoln
Killing Kennedy
Queen of the Big Time, Lucia, Lucia, Bravo Valentine, Merry Valintine and the Shoemaker's Daughter all by Adriana Trigiani.
The Ride of Our Lives
The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian which has become one of my all time favorites.

lmwbasye
04-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm hearing great things about The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult.

Corie
04-06-2013, 04:30 PM
I am not into vampire books either and it looks like we have read a lot of the same books. Here are a few on my list:
The Flight of Gemma Hardy
One Thousand White Women
Molokai"i
My Name is Mary Suter
Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker
Killing Lincoln
Killing Kennedy
Queen of the Big Time, Lucia, Lucia, Bravo Valentine, Merry Valintine and the Shoemaker's Daughter all by Adriana Trigiani.
The Ride of Our Lives
The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian which has become one of my all time favorites.

I just added several of your book recommendations to my hold list
at our library. Thank you!!

icunurse
04-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Recently finished "We Need to Talk About Kevin" after watching the movie. A bit dark, maybe even a tiny bit slow in the beginning, but I found it to be a very interesting read.

sophiesmom03
04-06-2013, 06:25 PM
If you liked Defending Jacob I'd recommend Blood Men. Just finished today and it has twists like Gone, Girl. I was really interested that it's by an author from New Zealand too so interesting culturally and linguistically.