PDA

View Full Version : Headboard only?

nupe
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
I have a guest room that is not the largest. I was thinking of putting in a headboard only instead of a bed so there are not any corners to run into even on a low footboard option. I'm concerned it will look unfinished.

gatorsmom
04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
I have a guest room that is not the largest. I was thinking of putting in a headboard only instead of a bed so there are not any corners to run into even on a low footboard option. I'm concerned it will look unfinished.

I'm assuming you mean instead of a footboard? Well, if it makes you feel any better I had an interior designer in our house last week with 25 years of experience and she suggested that very thing. My DH doesn't want a foot board on our bed and she said we should take it off. When I said I don't like that idea because the footboard is the only thing preventing DH from pushing the blankets completely off me at night, she suggested putting a bench or trunk at the end of the bed. So, I don't think you need a footboard there and clearly she didn't either. Not sure if she felt we needed something there though, to make it look finished.

If I were you I'd look at bedrooms on houzz.com. I'm sure you'll find beds without footboards. I personally don't think you need it as long as your blanket covers the box spring.

sarahsthreads
04-05-2013, 12:39 PM
I actually kind of like the look of no footboard on a bed. The kids' beds are that way because their rooms are so tiny. I've contemplated taking off our own footboard (though I'd need to get new bed rails) except that DD2 uses it as a step into our very tall bed. Also, we'd have to store it somewhere.

But for me, I like the look of the top quilt falling uninterrupted over the end of the bed, as opposed to having to stuff it in between the end of the bed and the footboard.

Sarah :)

crl
04-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I prefer headboard, no footboard for comfort anyway. And it looks fine to me.

Catherine

Octobermommy
04-05-2013, 12:42 PM
I like no footboard for a smaller room. We will be doing that in my dd room for sure & I don't think it looks unfinished.

edurnemk
04-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I like the no footboard look, granted I prer a more minimal / modern look. Our master br is large and we don't have a footboard, I don't think it looks unfinished. Look at some pictures on Houzz for ideas.

acmom
04-05-2013, 02:30 PM
I prefer headboard, no footboard for comfort anyway. And it looks fine to me.

Catherine

:yeahthat: Our master bed has no footboard bc DH is really tall and he really dislikes footboards for comfort reasons. I actually really like the way our bed looks without it. It's a large room so we could have done one but chose not to.

Binkandabee
04-05-2013, 02:36 PM
We have only a headboard and it looks just fine, definitely no unifinished. I long for a headboard and footboard, though, because I've never had one!

nupe
04-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks for your recs!

I had no idea that headboard only is so popular!

I have looked at houzz and pinterest, but sometimes I wonder how practical vs "decorated" those pictures are.

I guess the options for me are
a) headboard only
b) headboard with wood bedframe/no footboard (we have this in a guest room)
c) headboard and footboard (we have this in the kids rooms)

I guess I am now considering options a and b for the guest room I'm working on now.
I also love the idea of a benchI I hadn't thought of it for this room, but that will create a seating area, to put on socks, etc.

Next will be the master...

Sweetsunshine
04-05-2013, 03:10 PM
I have a headboard only in my room because I was sick of bumping into the footboard all the time. I also got a tailored looking bed skirt (pleats and buttons) from Pottery Barn I got on sale. I figured it was cheaper than a footboard and gives a more finished look.

I also have a storage bench at the end of the bed that stores all the kids' little toys they drag in my room at random times of the day. Makes for a quick pick up if we have last minute company too.

waitingforgrace
04-05-2013, 03:12 PM
I prefer headboard only, that's also what I grew up with. Now we do have a footboard in the master but both girls will only have a headboard.

dhano923
04-06-2013, 02:06 PM
I don't think footboard are required at all. Our guest room bed has a nice upholstered micro fabric headboard and no footboard. The frame is just your standard metal frame, but I have a nice bed skirt and comforter set so you can't even see it. Everyone always tells me how nice it looks.

justlearning
04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
:yeahthat: Our master bed has no footboard bc DH is really tall and he really dislikes footboards for comfort reasons. I actually really like the way our bed looks without it. It's a large room so we could have done one but chose not to.

Same here--our headboard is a padded leather one from Pottery Barn. And when we got our guest bed off of CL (for cheap), it came with a footboard but we just dumped that part (listed it for free on CL) because that room is too small to accommodate it. Our boys' beds also just have headboards.

abh5e8
04-06-2013, 02:56 PM
i don't mind the look...but our king has no foot board and i'm always bumping my shin on the metal frame at the corner, so from that perspective, i don't think it helps. i do better around dd's (queen) bed where there is a wooden frame on all 4 sides, but the "footboard" is lower then the height of mattress+ box springs, so does not interfere with long legged sleepers or making the bed.

nupe
04-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Ordered the headboard! Apparently it's pretty heavy per furniture store salesperson and will need the "bed base" to be secure and feels solid. Skipping the footboard. And now searching for a bench! Thanks everyone!

lhafer
04-06-2013, 06:00 PM
I had a sleigh bed in our guest room as it was our furniture before it became the guest room furniture. It was too large for the room, so sold it all. Got the headboard and metal frame, mattress, and bedskirt off of Amazon, and the bedding from Target and am totally happy with it (as are our guests). The bed is a queen sized bed. Love it. I purchased 2 small round end tables to go on either side of the bed from Ikea for $20 each. I have lamps on them.

bigpassport
04-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Great post OP! I just bought a second hand crib for $50. The side rails, which I would have to pay retail for, to convert it to a full size bed will be $150. I hadn't thought of just using the headboard!

nupe
04-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Looks great!!

nupe
04-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Great post OP! I just bought a second hand crib for $50. The side rails, which I would have to pay retail for, to convert it to a full size bed will be $150. I hadn't thought of just using the headboard!
Great idea!!