PDA

View Full Version : Should I put 2/3 of my kid's handprints in our cement?

Octobermommy
04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
They are pouring our driveway for our new house today! Yay for moving soon! I wanted to put my kid's handprints & initials in the cement but my oldest will be in school too late & it will be dry. Should I just forget it all, do the two youngest & write her initials also? Any other ideas?

crl
04-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I'd do everyone's initials and skip the handprints.

Catherine

brittone2
04-05-2013, 12:43 PM
When I was a kid I remember being confused as to why my siblings' initials were all in the cement step at our back door. I wasn't born yet. My parents later added mine to a different spot on a different side of the house LOL.

It really bothered me when I was very young and couldn't comprehend yet :)

I would write everyone's initials. My parents also embedded a penny from the year they did the cement work.

Don't leave one child out :) My parents obviously didn't know I was coming along, but it was a bummer when I was very young to not be on the list with everyone else.

Octobermommy
04-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Okay, so initials only. Thinking more, my oldest would feel bad if the boys had something she didn't.
Thanks

sarahsthreads
04-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I think that's a good choice, I know for sure my DD1 would be devastated!

I'd do the initials in the driveway, and then if you have a place for stepping stones somewhere in your garden/landscaping, do those free-standing cement stepping stone kits with them this summer! Handprints and personalization for each, and you can bring them along if you ever move again.

Sarah :)

TwoBees
04-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Aww! I agree about just the initials, but the cement might still be wet enough for handprints after your oldest gets home from school. My brother and I did this when we were young (I can't remember if it was initials only or also handprints), and the next day we found that our cat had left his pawprints later that day! Granted, over the years, the pawprints faded quicker than the initials, but they did last. So, try the handprints with all 3 kids when your oldest gets home from school, just be prepared to push hard.

Octobermommy
04-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Aww! I agree about just the initials, but the cement might still be wet enough for handprints after your oldest gets home from school. My brother and I did this when we were young (I can't remember if it was initials only or also handprints), and the next day we found that our cat had left his pawprints later that day! Granted, over the years, the pawprints faded quicker than the initials, but they did last. So, try the handprints with all 3 kids when your oldest gets home from school, just be prepared to push hard.

I'll try that. We are about to put initials in & it will be 2.5 hours until dd can be there. Hopefully it will work.

gamma
04-05-2013, 03:07 PM
My vote is to pick her up from school early!! It could be a suprise and then all go for ice cream. It would be a fun unexpected day to remember!