PDA

View Full Version : Very early bday gift - is this weird?

PMJ
04-05-2013, 02:46 PM
A very dear friend is visiting our hometown June 1. She lives about 8 hrs away, so it's not easy for me to go visit her. She just had a baby - he is about 6 months old.

I'm going to see her and baby for the first time since the delivery. In the past, I have always given her a bday present early, in June (her bday is in Sept). I'd visit hometown in the summer, when we lived on the West coast. I never thought it was strange -- but maybe it was. I did not want to spend $ on sending a gift w/postal costs, esp when I usually get the gifts on sale.

So... I wanted to do the same thing for her son's 1st bday. Give her the gifts now (June 1) - wrapped etc. for his bday in October. Is this weird? I'm planning on giving him a few books / puzzle - so they are heavy items.

WWYD?

acmom
04-05-2013, 02:55 PM
I think it's fine- we used to do this with all my extended families Christmas gifts. We always traveled there for Thanksgiving but didn't see them on Christmas, so we would bring all the wrapped gifts then.

elbenn
04-05-2013, 02:58 PM
I think it's fine also.

BabbyO
04-05-2013, 02:59 PM
I don't think it is weird at all. You have been thoughtful enough to get a gift for your friend and her son...if it is most convenient for you to give it to her early when you will see her do so!

kristenk
04-05-2013, 02:59 PM
It strikes me as a bit odd to give the gift so many months early IF the expectation is that the present should be opened ON the birthday. If you're taking the present with you and giving it to your friend/friend's son so you can be with her when she opens it, I think that's sweet.

PMJ
04-05-2013, 03:03 PM
It strikes me as a bit odd to give the gift so many months early IF the expectation is that the present should be opened ON the birthday. If you're taking the present with you and giving it to your friend/friend's son so you can be with her when she opens it, I think that's sweet.

That's a good idea --- but then does it look bad if I don't send another gift for the actual birthday?

And ETA for others -- I'm not able to attend the child's 1st bday - b/c of distance, and I'm most likely going to be working FT and just will be too hard to manage. Also, my DD's bday is right around the same time. FWIW - Dear friend usually sends a gift card to my DD, so that's easy to send in the mail.

I buy presents early and get a good deal and b/c of that am able to give more items.

THANKS !

crl
04-05-2013, 03:36 PM
She's visiting your location right? Is she driving or flying? If she is driving I say go ahead. If she is flying that seems like you are just shifting the burden of transporting a heavy present to her and I don't know that I would do that.

Catherine

PMJ
04-05-2013, 04:33 PM
She's visiting your location right? Is she driving or flying? If she is driving I say go ahead. If she is flying that seems like you are just shifting the burden of transporting a heavy present to her and I don't know that I would do that.

Catherine

She is driving with hubby and son. Good point.

MMMommy
04-05-2013, 05:11 PM
I think the downside is that a busy new mom (fatigue, memory loss, busy) might easily forget that the gift was intended for her baby's first birthday if she opens it up 5 months early. When the gift is given that early, I think it is easy to assume that it is a "new baby gift" and not specifically a "first birthday gift." If intended for opening in October, I do think it is a tad unusual to gift it that early.

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't do it. I would just ship one in October.

Binkandabee
04-05-2013, 05:23 PM
It does seem odd to me. Why not just ship it? So long as it's not a boulder, it can't be that much.

The way I see it, it's not really a birthday present if you give it 5 months in advance. Maybe just give them the gifts when you see them (just gifts out of kindness, no reason behind it) and then send a small something on their birthdays? Or just ship them their gifts when the time is right.

YouAreTheFocus
04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
The only thing that seems weird to me is--if you show up with a present for the baby, she might think it is a "baby gift," and then be caught a bit off-guard when you say it is a bday gift. I think I would bring a small gift for the baby and then send the bday gift for the bday. (Unless you have already done a baby/shower type gift).

However, I think people in general are happy to receive any gift at any time, so I don't think it is a big deal either way :)