PDA

View Full Version : Halle Berry pregnant at 46

flashy09
04-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Would this be with her own eggs? I assume most likely it's IVF either way? I hope it's not rude to ask, I truly am curious as to whether IVF makes it possible to use your own eggs if still ovulating in the mid 40's.

mom3boys
04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't know but my friend became pregnant naturally (and accidentally) just after she turned 45. So certainly they could be Halle's own eggs, and if she is ovulating still, then may not need IVF. Of course it's IVF it's also possible she stored eggs for a little while, so the eggs are younger than she is KWIM?

boolady
04-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Why would the assumption be that it's by IVF? She was 41, it looks like, when she had her daughter. I guess I don't see 46 as so old that I would assume she couldn't just get pregnant. If you're still ovulating viable eggs in your mid-40s, and there are no other issues, you wouldn't need IVF, would you?

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Wow, I always forget she is 46. I hope I look that good at her age!

pinkmomagain
04-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Well I'll be 46 in a few weeks and I have an IUD to prevent pregnancy so I guess I assume that pregnancy is still possible at this age! I never had any problems conceiving so if I were still getting my period and ovulating I'd assume it's possible. Last year at my OB/GYN exam I asked when can I not be concerned with BC anymore, and he said starting at age 50 they'll begin testing hormone levels to see.

Can't imagine it would be fun being pregnant at this age, but Halle seems to be in much better shape than I am so more power to her!

sste
04-05-2013, 03:06 PM
I think 46 is peri-menopausal for most women -- not an age that most women can successfully get pregnant and carry to term a chromosomally normal (typical?) baby. Of course, a few woman can but even *if* you have adequate egg reserve and *if* you are ovulating and *if* your hormones are what they need to be to sustain the pregnancy you are still dealing with eggs where the rate of mutations has shot way, way up from your thirties.

If I had to guess, I would guess egg donation.

flashy09
04-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Why would the assumption be that it's by IVF? She was 41, it looks like, when she had her daughter. I guess I don't see 46 as so old that I would assume she couldn't just get pregnant. If you're still ovulating viable eggs in your mid-40s, and there are no other issues, you wouldn't need IVF, would you?

I had always read the chances were super slim past 42 or 43, but maybe I am wrong.

janine
04-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Wow, I always forget she is 46. I hope I look that good at her age!

Well I think it's fair to wonder if it was natural....let's face it that is old to have a baby naturally. When her child is 25 she will be in her 70's. I had my 2nd at 39 so I am an older mom myself, but to me this is pushing it to be honest.

Still she does look ridiculously great for her age.

westwoodmom04
04-05-2013, 03:10 PM
I think 46 is peri-menopausal for most women -- not an age that most women can successfully get pregnant and carry to term a chromosomally normal (typical?) baby. Of course, a few woman can but even *if* you have adequate egg reserve and *if* you are ovulating and *if* your hormones are what they need to be to sustain the pregnancy you are still dealing with eggs where the rate of mutations has shot way, way up from your thirties.

Yes, for this reason. She may still be ovulating but the quality of eggs at that age is poor.

swissair81
04-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Some people hit menopause later on. The females in my family have periods into their mid-fifties.

JBaxter
04-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I'll be 46 in may. I have a shorter cycle but can still tell when I ovulate most months. Either way wishing her a happy healthy pregnancy!

brittone2
04-05-2013, 03:15 PM

Agree.

I know when I went through IF stuff (I was only in my mid 20s), egg freezing wasn't really a viable option. I think they've made some decent strides with that, but I'm not up to date on the research. I don't think it is commonly used at this point at all because the success rate still isn't that hot (I think). Perhaps she had some frozen embryos already, or went through a fresh IVF cycle. Or donor eggs/ivf.

vonfirmath
04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
My husband has a cousin who is in college now. Maybe 20? My husband is 35. Her mother is 4 years older than my husband's mother, so was mid-40s when she had her. No IVF. No egg donation. No problems.

sste
04-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I am actually not in fertility treatment myself for all I have learned about this recently . . . this is all from poor SILs travails in this area. But egg freezing is still very experimental. It is improving but still a long shot and most ethical providers would be reluctant to encourage it (embryo freezing is much, much better). Frozen embryos are much more likely though some RE places will not keep/reimplant for more than five years.

Egg donation is going to cause some significant issues as it becomes more popular. SIL's non movie star acquaintance became pregnant at 49 with an egg donor. Although life spans are longer it is not clear to me we have made comparable strides on extending the lifespan in a dementia-free, physically active manner. I usually tend to think things will adapt, family relations will adapt, medicine may change and aging advances occur . . . but women giving birth in their fifties gives me some pause.

scrooks
04-05-2013, 03:28 PM
More power to her I guess. I wish her a healthy pregnancy! But I just wish ONE celebrity pregnant in her mid- forties would come out and tell her story about IVF or infertility in her forties or what it actually took to get pregnant (if it didn't happen naturally). While I know it's completely possible and happens plenty i don't think it's good for women to depend/expect to get easily pregnant at 45 or 46. I know it's really none of the public's business but it would be nice for someone to share a "real" story and not just make it look easy..... Maybe it will be Jennifer Anniston....you know she's going to show up pregnant around 50!:tongue5:

JBaxter
04-05-2013, 03:32 PM
I think Julia Roberts used egg donors

Kindra178
04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
My doctor said she regularly sees 46 year old women pregnant. This may be because I live in an urban area where people wait to have kids until later? The chance of a chromosonally normal baby is still pretty good (the doctor's words, not mine). This conversation between her and I came up because I was pooh poohing the need for better birth control and she was very confident I could get pregnant again and probably could somewhat easily for 5-6 years (I am 40).

My sitter had her third at 46. He was definitely a surprise, as her big ones were in junior high and high school. She is 55 and is just beginning menopause.

brittone2
04-05-2013, 03:39 PM
More power to her I guess. I wish her a healthy pregnancy! But I just wish ONE celebrity pregnant in her mid- forties would come out and tell her story about IVF or infertility in her forties or what it actually took to get pregnant (if it didn't happen naturally). While I know it's completely possible and happens plenty i don't think it's good for women to depend/expect to get easily pregnant at 45 or 46. I know it's really none of the public's business but it would be nice for someone to share a "real" story and not just make it look easy..... Maybe it will be Jennifer Anniston....you know she's going to show up pregnant around 50!:tongue5:
A few months ago I caught a minute of Hugh Jackman talking about their struggles with IF in the past. It was refreshing to hear someone speak more candidly.

I respect all of the couples' privacy, but so many women tend to think it is fairly easy and common to have a healthy baby in their mid 40s because of the high profile cases of women doing so (but not disclosing details). I absolutely think the celebrities have every right to be private, but the way it is covered, a lot of women in the general public have the misconception it is not that difficult. Or they assume IVF alone will do the trick at that age, not realizing they may not have the option to do IVF with their own eggs (if that's what they want). Using an egg donor can be a great option, but I think it is good to know in advance that for woman of a certain age, egg donation may be the only realistic option.

Tenasparkl
04-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Still she does look ridiculously great for her age.

She looks ridiculously great for any age!

TwinFoxes
04-05-2013, 03:50 PM

I think quite a few have, maybe not details, but not hiding the fact. Sarah Jessica Parker used a surrogate, Angela Bassett did too. And Courtney Cox was pretty open about her problems getting pregnant.

And yes, I spend a little too much time on TMZ :bag

brittone2
04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
I think quite a few have, maybe not details, but not hiding the fact. Sarah Jessica Parker used a surrogate, Angela Bassett did too. And Courtney Cox was pretty open about her problems getting pregnant.

And yes, I spend a little too much time on TMZ :bag
I think the climate has changed a bit...you are right. I think we see more honesty about it than we did 10 years ago when DH and I were going through IF.

JBaxter
04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
she has a ton of money and access to the best doctors in the world. I know she very much wanted children and it didn't surprise me to see she's pregnant. she is also diabetic.

sste
04-05-2013, 03:56 PM
I absolutely think the celebrities have every right to be private, but the way it is covered, a lot of women in the general public have the misconception it is not that difficult. Or they assume IVF alone will do the trick at that age, not realizing they may not have the option to do IVF with their own eggs (if that's what they want). Using an egg donor can be a great option, but I think it is good to know in advance that for woman of a certain age, egg donation may be the only realistic option.

This was a huge problem with my SIL who lives in LA. She was shocked when she couldn't get pregnant at age 40, just stunned. After all she was young compared to all these people walking around LA pregnant seemingly pregnant with their own eggs! Well, many or most of those were egg donor cases. SIL is soon to be 46 and she is still trying to pregnant and has told us she may consider the egg donor route "down the line" if a future relationship materializes and a lot of $$ with that. I am quite attached to SIL after so many years and I wonder if she might have started trying for a baby earlier if she did not live in LA. And frankly, after my experience with SIL I have mixed feelings about egg donors and stem cells etc, used without age limitations, because for the infertile woman/couple it just never ENDS, the person doesn't just make their peace and move on because. There is always some new technology in the future . . . at an exorbitant cost that only a small fraction of the population can afford.

arivecchi
04-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Why would the assumption be that it's by IVF? She was 41, it looks like, when she had her daughter. I guess I don't see 46 as so old that I would assume she couldn't just get pregnant. :yeahthat:

rin
04-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Because the vast majority (90-95ish%, depending on who you're asking) of 45-year-old women do not have viable eggs. Of course there are women who have healthy pregnancies in their mid-late 40s without ART, but that's very much the exception.

brittone2
04-05-2013, 04:03 PM
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2011/07/probability-of-pregancy-by-age/#.UV8uw4Vm1e8

with this one they didn't clearly label the figure in terms of whether these are spontaneous pregnancies.
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a6155/your-age-and-fertility (http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a6155/your-age-and-fertility)

It is complicated to get good figures since pregnancy doesn't necessarily equal a live birth, a healthy birth. Then we have the donor vs. own egg issue, whether we're talking about pregnant but pg from IVF with a previously frozen embryo, etc.

eta: that first figure in Discover is probability of pregnancy, but it doesn't seem to tease out whether we are talking pregnancy resulting in live birth (I could be missing that). The rate of loss is higher in that age group due to chromosomal issues, etc.

wendibird22
04-05-2013, 04:04 PM
The article in people mag online said it happened "naturally."
http://celebritybabies.people.com/2013/04/05/halle-berry-pregnant-olivier-martinez/

“Halle is feeling great. It’s a very exciting time,” a source tells PEOPLE. “This happened naturally — everyone is really happy.”

arivecchi
04-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Because the vast majority (90-95ish%, depending on who you're asking) of 45-year-old women do not have viable eggs. Of course there are women who have healthy pregnancies in their mid-late 40s without ART, but that's very much the exception. Still, I'm taken aback by the fact that people assume she did IVF or used egg donors. Why do people even care? I don't get it.

boolady
04-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Because the vast majority (90-95ish%, depending on who you're asking) of 45-year-old women do not have viable eggs. Of course there are women who have healthy pregnancies in their mid-late 40s without ART, but that's very much the exception.

I get that. I never said that I thought the odds were even remotely in her favor; it just seemed to me that everyone was assuming it was a foregone conclusion.

Maybe I'm more bothered by the fact that everyone considers it their business and that it couldn't even be a possibility that she got pregnant. I know at least a handful of people my age who were definitely their parents' mid-40s "oops" babies, as well as very close friends, one of whom had a terrible, heartbreaking experience trying to conceive at 42, and one of whom had a baby without any intervention at 44. They've both, interestingly, been subject to their share of nosy and inappropriate comments about their circumstances, and it really just rubs me the wrong way.

elektra
04-05-2013, 04:11 PM

I did not know that actually. IVF did not cross my mind either when I first read Halle's news. I know women who have had kids without interventions into their late 40's. I think my MIL was 47 when she had BIL. Totally unplanned.

brittone2
04-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Still, I'm taken aback by the fact that people assume she did IVF or used egg donors. Why do people even care? I don't get it.

I absolutely don't think there's an obligation to disclose the details. We were insanely private about our IF stuff when we were going through it. I was young, and didn't really want to hear the hurtful comments like, "if you'd relax it would happen." Or "you are still young." Umm...I wasn't ovulating. At all. People say insanely hurtful things unintentionally. We were extremely private and didn't really disclose openly until after we were pg.

However, I do think on a broader level it is detrimental when women of childbearing age are lead to believe that spontaneous, unmedicated pregnancies are common in women that age. I think a LOT of women assume they can "just do IVF" in their 40s, or assume egg freezing, etc. is more effective than the research currently shows. Or they assume they can find the right doctors, and with enough money, it will happen. I don't think individual celebrities have any obligation to disclose, and I imagine it feels incredibly invasive to have someone publicly questioning how you became pregnant. I think a large # of highly educated women assume with IVF they'd have reasonably good odds to conceive with their own eggs at that age.

Yes it can happen, but if you really want to conceive with your own eggs, the odds are not going to be great for most women at that age.

sste
04-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Well, I do think it is a possibility -- plenty of stories here and we have an aunt who got pregnant at 45, great outcome. I just don't think it is likely. And I am with some of the other posters in thinking there are public benefits to open discussion about the fact that it is unlikely and that egg donation is a common way for women to have pregnancies in their late forties.

I don't know that I would ask someone IRL questions! But I am taking it on faith that Halle has more glamorous things to do than read BB. :)

rin
04-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Maybe I'm more bothered by the fact that everyone considers it their business and that it couldn't even be a possibility that she got pregnant. I know at least a handful of people my age who were definitely their parents' mid-40s "oops" babies, as well as very close friends, one of whom had a terrible, heartbreaking experience trying to conceive at 42, and one of whom had a baby without any intervention at 44. They've both, interestingly, been subject to their share of nosy and inappropriate comments about their circumstances, and it really just rubs me the wrong way.

I totally get that. I don't actually think it's anyone's business how her baby was conceived, and I don't think that simply because she's a celebrity she has an obligation to share very personal medical information about herself and her family.

That said, most people will probably assume she used IVF. I certainly would, for exactly the reasons I wrote above. But I would also hope that everyone would be socially appropriate enough to keep their mouths shut, and not ask. Unfortunately, many people are quite socially inappropriate and DO feel it's ok to ask personal medical questions about other people's families. I have twin cousins, born when my aunt was 45, and my aunt is *constantly* getting asked if they're "natural". Of course it's wildly inappropriate for people to ask anything about that! But it's also worth noting that most people, even if they don't say anything, are probably making assumptions about my aunt and uncle's family building choices.

brittone2
04-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Well, I do think it is a possibility -- plenty of stories here and we have an aunt who got pregnant at 45, great outcome. I just don't think it is likely. And I am with some of the other posters in thinking there are public benefits to open discussion about the fact that it is unlikely and that egg donation is a common way for women to have pregnancies in their late forties.

I don't know that I would ask someone IRL questions! But I am taking it on faith that Halle has more glamorous things to do than read BB. :)
:yeahthat:

Definitely possible, but to have the misconception it is likely can be devastating to someone unaware of the rates for spontaneous pregnancy resulting in a live, healthy birth at that age.

I would never, ever ask IRL. And I empathize with the celebrities who have to deal with those types of questions publicly. As I said, I was intensely private, but opened up afterward. By opening up, I feel like my friends who struggled later (we were among the first in our circle of friends to ttc) had someone they knew they could talk to. But it is definitely a personal choice and it is extremely intrusive for people to *ask* directly.

Beth24
04-05-2013, 04:29 PM
I had my 4th at 45...my own eggs and no IVF. I realize I was very lucky to be able to conceive and have a "normal" child. Before I got pregnant I was focussing so much on getting pregnant I didn't focus on the statistics for pregnancies at that age...a 1/2 chance of miscarriage. 1 out of 15 for chromosomal abnormalities. Most people who knew me or of me knew why we decided to have a baby so late in life (we had lost a child two years prior) so I didn't get too many questions from my those in my social community but I did get a lot of very annoying questions/comments from strangers (most people assumed it was an oops baby). I think being pregnant at any age subjects women to a lot of nosy questions and comments...its been mentioned so many times before that people just seem to lose all sense of propriety where pregnancy is concerned. Unfortunately in my case these questions were very difficult to deal with because if I wanted to answer truthfully I would have to discuss the son I lost.

I think its great that Halle was able to conceive however she did it!

gatorsmom
04-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Still, I'm taken aback by the fact that people assume she did IVF or used egg donors. Why do people even care? I don't get it.

My first thought was not about ivf or how old she was when she got pregnant. My thought was whether it was a good idea having a baby with Olivier Martinez. He doesn't seem (from the publicity I've read) like the most stable person.

chozen
04-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I had dd at 44 with my own eggs and no ivf. I will be 50 this yr. and my cycles are just alittle shorter. Before dd I had a full term loss and three more m/c over a 8 yr. span. 44 was not what we had originally planned but none the less our dd came at the perfect appointed time! I think it's great that she is pg. at 46 and here's to a full term pg and a healthy baby! :):):)

elektra
04-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Maybe I am just really in the dark about fertility stats but is it really true that 90-95% 45 yo women do not have viable eggs?
I mean, I knew it was not a regular thing for women in their mid-late forties to have babies. And I also knew it was much more difficult to get pregnant, and that your chances for chromosomal abnormalities go up. I did not think that I could just "get pregnant, no problem" at 45. But I swear that I didn't think it was that huge of a deal for someone to have a baby later in life without needing IVF. I have seen it happen several times, and I did not even think of IVF in Halle's case, much less assume it to be so.
I guess I am part of the public that needs to be educated!

barkley1
04-05-2013, 08:21 PM
From what I've read re: celebrity pregnancies at a later age, it is highly unlikely that it is her own egg. Nt that it hasn't ever happened ( or maybe she froze some eggs a while back?!) but it's just probably not.

brittone2
04-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Maybe I am just really in the dark about fertility stats but is it really true that 90-95% 45 yo women do not have viable eggs?
I mean, I knew it was not a regular thing for women in their mid-late forties to have babies. And I also knew it was much more difficult to get pregnant, and that your chances for chromosomal abnormalities go up. I did not think that I could just "get pregnant, no problem" at 45. But I swear that I didn't think it was that huge of a deal for someone to have a baby later in life without needing IVF. I have seen it happen several times, and I did not even think of IVF in Halle's case, much less assume it to be so.
I guess I am part of the public that needs to be educated!
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a1013991/getting-pregnant-in-your-40s
http://www.inciid.org/printpage.php?cat=infertility101&id=489
http://www.ivf-worldwide.com/education/patients-investigation-and-evaluation/age-related-infertility.html some interesting figures in that link
this study went back pretty far and technology has changed over that time, but: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19909604

eta: surprisingly hard to find great studies on this, but with so many factors at play, I guess it is hard to tease out.

icunurse
04-05-2013, 08:50 PM
My first thought was not about ivf or how old she was when she got pregnant. My thought was whether it was a good idea having a baby with Olivier Martinez. He doesn't seem (from the publicity I've read) like the most stable person.

This exactly. Ms. Berry seems to have a long string of poor choices in men and the current fiancé doesn't seem to be much better, at least publicly.

chlobo
04-05-2013, 08:56 PM
My friend successfully got pregnant and had a baby at age 44. I didn't think it was that uncommon actually. Around here, there are a lot of older moms.

Kindra178
04-05-2013, 09:28 PM
I know someone who dated Martinez; he is an odd dude. Definitely agree with gators mom.

Tondi G
04-06-2013, 02:55 AM
My best friends father just had a baby with his now new wife. She is 43 (this was her first time being pregnant) and the baby's father is in his late 80's! Baby is healthy.

I wish Halle the best. Hope Martinez can get his anger issues in check and be a good husband and father.

citymama
04-06-2013, 02:59 AM
I'm happy for her - hope she has a healthy pregnancy. She rocks 46! I know nothing about the baby's father, but Halle does not have the greatest track record with picking men.

A dear friend of mine got pg sans IVF at 44 with her second and gave birth to a healthy baby at 45. She calls herself a "geriatric mama" but like Halle, she looks amazingly young.