PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a new gym...

nfowife
04-05-2013, 05:30 PM
We are moving this summer to a new city/state. Currently I belong to the YMCA which I'm very happy with. I do 4-6 classes a week (bootcamp, cardio kickbox, RIPPED, and step). My kids go to the childcare room and I really love it there- they know us and the staff is very consistent and loving. Because it's a YMCA there are also other activities we do there- swim lessons (not enrolled currently but have with both older kids in the past) soccer, cheerleading class, open family swim time on weekends, etc. We currently have a free membership since DH is active duty military but if not it would be about $60/month and that includes childcare with no extra fees.

So there are 2 main gyms where we are moving and pros and cons to each and I can't figure out which would be best. They are both equidistant from my house in different directions.

We are moving to New England where it will be very cold and snowy in the winter.

Gym A:
$922/annually with military discount.
Childcare included.
Must make an advance reservation for childcare and certain fitness classes.
Pool has a big splash park with lazy river, slides, climbing structure and zero entry.
Smaller workout class area.
Offers swim lessons year-round and has camps during school breaks.

Gym B:
Larger YMCA-type facility.
$399/annually with military discount
Childcare is drop-in, $3.25/hour. No reservations needed-larger facility than Gym A.
You can also leave the facility while child is in childcare for the same $3.25/hour.
Pool is just the basic big swimming pool.
Larger workout classroom area.
More community activities such as sports.

I think the clear benefit of Gym A is that it has the splash park which would be nice to take the kids to during winter weekends or even afternoons if we weren't busy.
Gym B it would be nice to have the option to leave DD2 during the day for a few hours so I could get my hair cut or go to the dentist or whatever without securing a babysitter.

I think Gym B might end up being a bit more $$ overall with the childcare costs. I typically use the gym childcare 6 hours a week- so that's about $20/week just in the childcare costs.

hillview
04-05-2013, 06:02 PM
I'd go with Gym A thinking that I'd save with child care and LOVE the pool with kids your kids ages. I'd work to understand how had it is to get the reservation for child care.

jenstring95
04-05-2013, 10:29 PM
I also like the sound of gym A better, but I would advise you to try to get a free trial week (or at least a few days) at each gym to see if you prefer one over the other. The classes might be significantly better or worse at one or the other, and if that is your main use for the gym you should make sure it is what you want. Also see how crowded the child care and classes are at both during the hours you would most likely attend, see which child care workers and area you like better, etc.