PDA

View Full Version : When you had a second DC, did your body get worse or stay the same?

basil
04-05-2013, 08:41 PM
I lost a ton of confidence in myself after I had my DS (20 months). I still have 15 lbs I never had before and a belly pooch I can't figure out how to hide. I have so few clothes that turn out to be attractive and comfortable that I went without a full length mirror for 6 months because I just didn't want to see.

I didn't have a particularly hard pregnancy but I didn't find it wonderful or anything. Its now time to start thinking about #2 and I want another baby but I absolutely dread being pregnant again. I find myself so jealous of DH that he doesn't have to be pregnant or breast feed or pump or anything. So not fair.

So the question is this...if your body never got back to pre-preggo shape after you had a first DC, does the second make it even worse? I'd be starting from a higher weight so if I gained the same I'd end up even higher. And if my pooch got any bigger, I'd only be able to wear maternity clothes for the rest of my life.

Thoughts?

AngB
04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
MUCH worse!
DD, I only made it to 23 wks so hadn't gained a ton of weight but didn't really lose much of what I did gain due to grief/overeating.
DS1 was technically my second prg, I had GD and lost weight following the diabetes diet at the end of my pregnancy, pp lost weight quickly and easily thanks to bf fulltime and kinda watching what I ate.
DS2 (about 9 months after DS1), I started out at my lowest pregnancy weight, did not have GD and gained a lot of weight. I am 5 months pp now and it has been really really hard getting it off. I'm still my heaviest non-pregnancy weight ever.

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm short and my boys were big. Even when I got super skinny, I still had loose skin on my belly. That happened after ds1. With ds2, I didn't get as skinny but to a good place. Still the stretched out belly. Some people bounce back and get taut. Not in the cards for me. Weight training and getting fit made me feel better about the belly. (Not where I want to be now but working on it.). Loads of my friends bounced back and look great. I've seen some good bikini bodies on moms at my pool.

I did have some more body troubles during pregnancy with ds2 though. Some things I was spared with ds1 but are common in pregnancy. I actually like pregnancy and birth though; I'd do it again just bc I like them. :). Breadtfeeding was much easier with ds2.

Eta- the weight melted off in 2-3 weeks with ds1 (I gained 27lbs). I gained 40 (eek!) with ds2 and it took 4-5 months for it to go.

Eta- it stayed the same (till my thyroid screwed things up...)

cookiemonster80
04-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Sorry to say it was worse for me with DD2- with DD1 I was back to pre preggo weight and basic shape within 6 months- easy. with DD2 I was back to pre preggo weight within 4 months, but shape- NO- I can't wear anything I used to own- even cardigans! My arms are bigger (and I've been actively working on those consistently for 5 months- and I've NEVER had big arms), my belly is pouched- my back fat and love handles are just- well- there- and they didn't used to be.

I seriously have aged more in the last 18 months than I have in my entire adult life- I'm 33 now- I have wrinkles, my skin has lost its luster, I look in the mirror and I don't recognize myself- even though I weigh the same as I did pre pregnancy. I look 10 years older than I did 2 years ago.

I did have extremely difficult pregnancies both times- DD2 was worse- and I do feel like the wear and tear of the 2nd pregnancy has alot to do with it. My body just broke. :crying: But I am really really trying to come to terms with it and just be happy with being healthy.

kaharris83
04-05-2013, 09:30 PM
MUCH worse!

:yeahthat: I was 27 when DS1 was born. DS2 was born 3 months before I turned 30. With DS1 I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight no problem. Didn't work out, didn't watch what I ate, at my 6 week PP appointment I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight. This time I'm 4 months PP and no where near my pre-pregnancy weight. I gained less during my second pregnancy but my body did not bounce back at all.

KLD313
04-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Umm, yeah. It wasn't pretty after DD but it's way worse after DS. I had c-sections though so I have this skin flap thing. I still look 6 mos pregnant. I also lost the 25lbs I gained with that pregnancy. My boobs look much worse this time around, much lower and flatter.

indigo99
04-05-2013, 09:54 PM
I agree that the second is much harder on your body. My breasts and stomach are completely stretched out and saggy now while they weren't too bad after DS1. However, I actually lost more weight after my second. I gained 55lb with DS1 and the lost 40 of it. With DS2, I gained back the 40 (weighed almost exactly the same at both deliveries), but then I lost 75lb so I'm 20lb less than when I got pregnant the first time. I did breastfeed a little longer, but I didn't do anything to try and lose weight.

wifecat
04-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Mine was worse. I started at a slightly higher weight than with my first, gained more, had more/deeper stretch marks, and the weight didn't come off even as easily as it did the first time. I started out overweight though, so I don't know if that was a factor.

Two years out from that delivery and I've lose the baby weight and much more. The stretch marks are faint but still there, and my boobs...well. It's more like the sacks my boobs used to be in. But whatev. I love my boy.

mikala
04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
The weight and shape definitely bounced back faster after DS1 and while I gained more weight than with my second pg I was down to PP weight after about 4 months. It was more like 7 months with DS2 and the shape is taking a lot longer to bounce back and some things seem permanently different. I've done yoga pretty continuously since DS1 was an infant and I'm looking forward to running again as the weather warms.

It sounds like you're in an unhappy place right now. Would it be possible to focus on yourself for a few months before conceiving? I'm not suggesting a weight loss push as much as working towards some goal that will help you realize how powerful and strong you really are. It could be a 5k (love C25k training!), a long bike ride, a boot camp, frequent yoga classes, whatever goal will help you feel like a rockstar. It may seem counterintuitive to try this right before you consider the whole pregnancy/bf rollercoaster again but I think there's a lot of value in starting a pregnancy in a healthy place so you can continue that level of activity for a little while and have the self confidence to really rock the awesome baby bump. It can also help you weather the storm and have a positive outlet if conception takes awhile or you encounter challenges along the way.

jenmcadams
04-05-2013, 10:00 PM
I hate to pile on, but I was much worse after 2nd. I actually lost a ton of weight and got in great shape after #1, but I've never recovered from #2. Even two years ago when I lost 15-17 lbs from stress, my body didn't look right (and I was as low weight wise then as I'd been between kids).

Having said that, if you're healthy, I wouldn't wait to have #2 - mine has been totally worth the perpetual 14 week pregnant look :ROTFLMAO: I have hopes that I'll eventually lose the weight again, but I'm healthy and happy and just don't like shopping too much

abh5e8
04-05-2013, 10:10 PM
ok....i'll dissent. i'm expecting dc#4 next month...and its ok after dc #2 :) you can still lose the baby weight and get back in shape. i think good diet/exercise both before the 2nd pregnancy and during, to try to limit gaining too much weight (whatever that would be) can also help. breastfeeding really helps with postpartum weight loss. and chasing a little one while you are pregnant and then when you have a newborn will increase your daily activity!

one thing i did notice...was that with each baby i seem to show a little earlier, but i was terrible (and got worse each time) with doing good ab workouts before I got pregnant. i didn't gain weight really, in the first trimester, i just had an instant belly (if that makes sense).

AnnieW625
04-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I am almost 3 yrs. post partum and I still have 36lbs to lose that would put at pre DD1 weight. I was pregnant for almost a year straight between baby 2 and DD2 so that definitely didn't help any. Thankfully though I still have some curves and all of my weight is not in the form of a big belly or muffin top so at least I don't look too bad, but I know I really need to work hard to lose the weight.

With DD1 I gained 40lbs, but was back down 35lbs by the time she was 6 months old. I gained 20 lbs in the 4 months I was pregnant with baby 2, and only lost 8lbs. before getting pregnant with DD2, and those 8lbs I immediately put back on. I gained 40lbs with her and lost 30 of those by the time she was 2 or 3 months old, but that was still 30lbs or so more than what I was when I got pregnant with DD1. I will say that once I went back to work with DD2 I gained about 5lbs because I wasn't able to go to Stroller Strides 3-4 days a week plus going to the gym an additional 2-3 times per week. So if I make my weight goal I will have lost a total of 70lbs. .

I was 28 when I had DD1, 31 when I lost baby 2, and 32 when I had DD2.

IMHO I think a lot of people who lose their pp weight fairly quickly are blessed with good genetics.

daisymommy
04-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Sorry, but it just gets worse and worse with every single baby that you have. I always lose the pregnancy weight very quickly due to breast feeding, but the tummy pooch gets worse, fat redistributes itself on my thighs, things start sagging and stretching out (ahem...) and there's just no going back, no mater how much I work out or eat right. Babies will do that to you. It's a good thing they're so darn cute!

Sent from my iPad

Pennylane
04-05-2013, 10:30 PM
I stayed about the same and my second (and third) were twins. I did tons of walking after I had them and that helped so much! I don't think my stomach will ever be the same as before though. There is a small pooch there that I can't seem to get rid of, but overall I am pretty happy considering I gained over 75 pounds.

I know it can be done. One of my bf's has 4 and she is in rockstar shape. She is a very clean eater though and does lots of cardio/weights. I unfortunately am just not that dedicated.

Ann

ilfaith
04-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Even though I lost all the baby weight fairly quickly after each of my boys, my body has definitely changed. My stomach will never be as flat as it was before DS1. With DS2 I developed spider and varicose veins which have never disappeared (as if i could have worn compression panty hose in Florida all summer long), and a month after DS3 was born I turned 40, so I don't know if I can blame the changes on him as much as just being middle aged. Even though I weigh the same amount as I did before kids, my body is just not as curvy...my waist is not as small and the rest of me just doesn't seem as shapely as it once was. I still wear the same size in most clothes, but things don't fit the same way. My thighs and tush actually seem smaller, but my belly is softer and squishier. But I am at an age where I don't think I am expected to look fabulous in a bikini anymore.

firstbaby
04-05-2013, 10:37 PM
I will be another voice of dissent. Didn't lose the last ten pounds I had gained with ds1 before getting pg with ds2. I was okay with the weight and accepted priorities had shifted, etc. had ds2 and decided I wasn't happy with how I looked / felt. I had to be much more active chasing after a 2 y.o and baby and also started running. Lost all the baby weight by 10 months and even lost an extra 10. Went on to have a third DS, lost all baby weight by 5 months and am now at my lowest adult weight. I gained 35-40 lbs with each pg and bf all three for a year. Now, my, ahem, bf "equipment" I try very hard to not look at because it is sad to me, but I feel very comfortable with the rest of my body. :).

megs4413
04-05-2013, 10:39 PM
I didn't gain any weight with my second (lost 20 in the first tri, only put 16 of it back on before delivery) and it was STILL worse after 2. It was shocking to me. I only say this because it drives me nuts when people suggest you can just watch your weight gain and that will keep you from having shape shifting effects...simply not true. The skin stretches. It has to. My boobs got smaller after bfing. My rib cage expanded (and never went back). Those things were outside of my control.

Having said that, and admitting that I hate being pregnant: it's worth it.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-05-2013, 10:59 PM
i'll be another voice of dissent..for me they were both about the same. i only gained 30 lbs with my first, but even 7 months post-partum (Exclusive breastfeeding) i was still 20 lbs above my pre=preg weight..i only lost the weight of the baby/fluid!! how pathetic is that. i quickly got preg with dd and only gained about 20 lbs with that pregnancy, and again lost only 10 when she was born. So after she was born i was 30 lbs above pre-preg weight. bf ing did nothing for me. It wasn't till she was almost 8 months old and nursing less often that i started to lose some weight. I lost 10 lbs watching what i ate, then several months later another 10 lbs when i went gluten-free. I hung on to the last 10 lbs for about year, and finally i got a vitamix and started eating fruit/veggies...am within a couple pds of pre-preg weight (my 2nd just turned 2 years old). I don't have stretch marks or loose skin at all, but my body is definitely different post-pregnancy. i've always had a belly pooch, so the fact that i still have one now is nothing new :). I dont think the 2nd was worse than the 1st preg..i think it just took me longer bc i was preg/nursing for so long.

after all this and seeing how much better i feel having pregnancy nursing in my distant past i am reluctant to have another DC and start it all over again.

mom3boys
04-05-2013, 10:59 PM
It's worse with each baby, sorry to say. You are older and stuff stretches out easier with each consecutive time. With DS1 I bounced back pretty well--I had a bit of a tummy and held onto about 5 lbs of baby weight. With DS2 (I had him only 21 mos. after DS1) I kept more weight on and my stomach was awful. A YEAR after I had him someone asked me if I was expecting again because my stomach was so big, and I held onto more weight. After that I made a concerted effort to lose weight and lost about 15lbs, but my stomach still stuck out and I couldn't wear tight tops. DS3, well, you don't want to know. It didn't help that he was unplanned and I was horribly out of shape when he was conceived (and, I had avoided stretchmarks with the first two, but not with DS3!) The only good news was after DS2 I had to buy a lot of loose, flowy tops, so I just kept wearing them instead of maternity clothes for much of the third pregnancy.

gatorsmom
04-05-2013, 11:00 PM
I didn't gain any weight with my second (lost 20 in the first tri, only put 16 of it back on before delivery) and it was STILL worse after 2. It was shocking to me. I only say this because it drives me nuts when people suggest you can just watch your weight gain and that will keep you from having shape shifting effects...simply not true. The skin stretches. It has to. My boobs got smaller after bfing. My rib cage expanded (and never went back). Those things were outside of my control.

Having said that, and admitting that I hate being pregnant: it's worth it.

:yeahthat: to all of that. I also wanted to say that the solution to your problem, OP is not to try to get back the body you started with, but to accept your body as it is now. You can exercise of course and get into very good shape, but instead of obsessing about the flap of skin on your stomach that won't go away, Buy some new clothes. Buy some that you love and that flatter your new figure.

I have never got my pre-baby body back. And my stomach skin is horribly disfigured from having twins. But not only has pregnancy affected my figure, age has too. It is very hard and more work to lose weight and keep it off than I have time for. It's normal- as you age your body slows down. So there is a good chance that even if you didn't have a baby, you would still be fighting to look like you did when you were younger.

BayGirl2
04-05-2013, 11:10 PM
#2 was an easier pregnancy, less weight gain, easier delivery, easier baby. Body is still not recovered and seems to be on a downhill trajectory. I felt recovered by the time I got pregnant with #2 but now I'm worse off than before her.

All the negatives, I still wouldn't change a thing and would have the 2nd child again if given the choice.

twowhat?
04-05-2013, 11:15 PM
:yeahthat: to all of that. I also wanted to say that the solution to your problem, OP is not to try to get back the body you started with, but to accept your body as it is now. You can exercise of course and get into very good shape, but instead of obsessing about the flap of skin on your stomach that won't go away, Buy some new clothes. Buy some that you love and that flatter your new figure.

I have never got my pre-baby body back. And my stomach skin is horribly disfigured from having twins. But not only has pregnancy affected my figure, age has too. It is very hard and more work to lose weight and keep it off than I have time for. It's normal- as you age your body slows down. So there is a good chance that even if you didn't have a baby, you would still be fighting to look like you did when you were younger.

:yeahthat: I was only pregnant once, technically, but it changed my body a lot in terms of shape and how everything was distributed even though I was back to my PP weight about 15 months PP. I just wanted to say that is IS possible to learn how to buy clothes that flatter your new body and make you feel good. I have a slim frame, so my major belly pooch/diastasis is difficult to hide but I learned some tricks on here and am well on the road to making clothing purchases that make me feel good. So ITA with coming to terms with embracing your new shape because (unless you are a genetically blessed b*tch) your body is never gonna be the same! :) And I also totally agree with the point that you will be fighting age as well (joy of all joys!).

MommyAllison
04-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Yep. After Dd1 I actually was 20+lb below pre pregnancy weight...haven't seen that number since. After DS I got back to preDd1 weight, and I am there again now after Dd2. I have only had a 6 month break from nursing since dd1 was born, and I was pregnant the whole time, so I've wondered if that contributes. After seeing these posts though, maybe not! Totally totally worth it though! I think age works against you with subsequent pregnancies too.

specialp
04-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Another voice of dissent. Mine were basically the same. I started out the exact same weight, normal BMI, and gained slightly slower this time (31 lbs. total), and lost it all by the time the baby was 8 weeks old which was much quicker rate of loss than the first time (I think I lost the weight by 12-15 weeks last time). I was very careful with what I ate this time - basically low carb/high protein/good fats - but I was on bedrest from 12 weeks on so there was zero exercise at all and I was hyper aware of the lack of exercise and need to keep my diet healthy. My baby is 5 months old and I do feel like my belly isn't as toned, but I haven't had time to really work out and other than that, I fit into my clothes. I had c-sections with both.

Melaine
04-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Not for me, but my first was twins.

rin
04-06-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm still only 9 months out from DD2's birth, but so far it's been a bit of both. I gained less weight w/DD2, and was back to pre-pregnancy weight much sooner. With DD1, it probably took close to a year or so before I felt comfortable in all my pre-pregnancy clothes, with DD2 it was closer to 5-6 months. I'm now at the same weight I was before I got pregnant with either girl.

All that said, my abs are not the same at all, and there's totally a bunch of extra skin there. Maybe it'll go away, I have no idea, but it wasn't like that after DD1 . . .

jerseygirl07067
04-06-2013, 01:40 AM
I'll be another dissenter here too. I had not lost the last 10 pounds from my first pregnancy and then got pregnant with DD #2 when DD #1 was only 8 months old. I gained about 40 pounds during the DD #2 pregnancy and then after the baby was born there was another 8# left when the scale stopped, so I had 18 pounds to lose.

I was unhappy with how I looked and the tipping point came one day when my dad told me I was looking very good. I thought, wow, maybe I don't look so bad after all. Then my mom reminded me that my dad has a thing for larger, plus sized women, lol, and proceeded to tell me I was looking like a size 14. Ugh....that's all it took...I worked out a lot and went on the Zone. I actually got down to 14 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight and was in the best shape of my life. I honestly think weight training saved me...I did cardio too, but more weights and interval training which really boosted my metabolism.

I then got pregnant with DD #3 a few years later and didn't put on as much weight because I was so busy running around with 2 kids, working part time, and exercising, though a bit more mildly. The weight came off quickly once I started exercising after the baby was born.

So don't be discouraged....but you do have to stay active and eat well, which are good examples to set for the kiddos!

elektra
04-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Some ways worse and some ways better!
Overall, My body is actually in better shape after DC #2. I exercised and dieted and lost 30 pounds. My stomach is flat. My boobs are not exactly the same but look fine in a bra.
My left leg is not in good shape though. My bulging varicose vein got pretty bad.
I too hate being pregnant but it was worth it and I hope to have my vein fixed one day. But honestly, other things have priority at this point, and if a funky leg was the price to pay for my babies, I would still do it all over again!

pinay
04-06-2013, 02:39 AM
DD2 is only 7 months old at this point, but so far my body has recovered better than it did after DD1. I lost almost all of my baby weight within the first 2 months of DD2's birth (still holding on to a stubborn 7 or so lbs). There are 5 1/2 years between DD1 and DD2 and I gained about the same amount with both pregnancies, but my experience was significantly easier the second time around- not just with weight, but with virtually everything baby related.

citymama
04-06-2013, 03:02 AM
My pregnancy with DD2 was worse, and some things I developed during the second pregnancy have stayed on to taunt and haunt me - hideous varicose veins and pain in my upper thighs that was brought on by that pregnancy. Other than that, I think I've put on a smidge more weight after weaning than I did with DD1, and my chest deflated even more. Other than that, I think it's been about the same. The hardest part is being more worn out and getting less sleep over all.

JdrKuhnert
04-06-2013, 03:31 AM
With DS1 I gained over 40 pounds during pregnancy and didn't lose it all before becoming pregnant with DS2. With DS2 I gained 25 pounds. After DS2 was born, I joined Strollerfit and lost all of the extra weight and then some. I was in the best shape ever. With DS3 I gained 25 pounds and was back in my jeans 3 weeks after his birth. DS4 was another 40+ pound pregnancy and I am still working on it 18 months later. This time I think age and a slower metabolism have more to do with the slower weight loss.
I really liked Stroller Fit because it was something that I could do with the baby. I didn't have to find a sitter and there were other women in the same situation.

ellies mom
04-06-2013, 03:33 AM
I weighed a decent amount less going into my pregnancy with DD2 than DD1 and in much better shape. I got within 5 pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight pretty easily after DD2 as well (I didn't want to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight because I thought it was too low). And then I started nursing school. Now, I just don't have the willpower to consistently do the the things I need to do to get back in shape. So I don't think it is so much the second pregnancy rather than a certain amount of laziness. I really need to do something about that.

BabyBearsMom
04-06-2013, 07:40 AM
I gained a lot less weight with DD2 than DD1 (20lbs vs 38lbs). With dd1 I was very much "I'm eating for 2" and with DD2 I was "I know I have to lose every pound that I gain". I'm back at my pre DD1 weight but my body is just different. I consider the changes battle wounds and I'm proud of them. But I'm also trying to diet and exercise to look and feel better (I was over weight before I had dd1). Don't get rid of the mirrors. Learn to love your self as you are, change your style of dress to find something that looks good on you and makes you feel good and do the best you can to be healthy. But most importantly, be kind to yourself.

pastrygirl
04-06-2013, 09:15 AM
My belly shape got worse, but my hips didn't change. My problem area used to be 100% thighs/hips/bum. Now it is 95% belly, 5% thighs/hips/bum.

My body changed after having my oldest, but it wasn't the same as this time. After my oldest, I couldn't fit into my old pants at all, because of my new, wider hips. And I always had wide hips! But they were different, somehow. This time around, my hips didn't change, but my belly did! Ugh. It stuck out so much more than ever, and hung over jeans that fit well.

Now, I've never been an active person. I'm used to being overweight, but I was also used to "carrying it well". I no longer carry it well! In January of this year (my youngest is 3.5), I got serious about working out and losing weight. I have a lot more to lose, but really think I'll be able to get my belly flatter. In three months, I've already seen a huge change -- I don't look pregnant anymore! I think I'm "carrying it well" again and can wear fitted knit tops again for the first time in years.

I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner, when I had less to lose. I gained a ton after weaning just over a year ago. I'm energized, feeling positive, and really psyched about the body changes that I'm bringing about. I'm staying focused on the things I can change with the body I have, and remembering that all models/magazines/catalogs are photoshopped to DEATH (http://pinterest.com/indyink/dont-compare-yourself-to-celebrities/).

mommylamb
04-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Honestly, DS2 really didn't change my body much at all. My damage is all from my DS1 pregnancy. I gained 38 lbs with DS1 and only 14 lbs with DS2 (I had GD so was on the GD diet). I got a lot of stretch marks with DS1 and my tummy, while never a six pack to begin with, definitely seemed more stretched out. But DS2 didn't do anything to make it worse. Thanks to the GD diet, I'm slightly below my pre-pregnancy weight from before DS1, though I still could stand to lose some to be honest. I honestly think that any changes in my body are more attributable to aging than they are to my second pregnancy. I was 31 when DS1 was born and 36 when DS2 was born.

sweetsue98
04-06-2013, 02:43 PM
I gained about 50 lbs with both pregnancies. The wight came off faster with #1 ( about 9 months) and with #2 it took over one year. My body is obviously not the same, breast saggy, a tummy etc but I feel more motivated to lose weight knowing I'm not going to get pregnant again. My youngest is 15 months and I'm feeling better and better about myself.

smilequeen
04-06-2013, 02:55 PM
For me, most of the actual body changes were with the first pregnancy. Losing the weight got harder with each pregnancy. It's been really hard this time, but I'm also close to 40 now (I was 36 when he was born. He's 2 now and I'll be 39 this summer). I still have a lot of weight left and while it's coming off, it's VERY SLOW. I've never in my life had a great metabolism or lost weight as quickly as other people, but I was always a healthy weight but I'm really struggling to get back there.

georgiegirl
04-06-2013, 03:22 PM
My body didn't change that much, but overall, I tend to gain weight more in the hips/butt area than I used to. My weight after DS (second child) was the same as before I got pregnant with him, and only a few lbs more than my pre-pregnancy weight. The biggest change was in my boobs. After nursing 2 kids, they shrank from full D cups to a small C cup/full B cup, and they were saggy and deflated. It was easier for me to lose the weight after my second because (1) he was an easier baby, (2) I went to the gym regularly beginning at 6 weeks because I was in my sisters wedding 10 weeks post partum and continued going after that until... (3) I was hospitalized with pneumonia when DS was 3.5 months old, and that pretty much took the last 10 lbs of baby weight off.

Corie
04-06-2013, 04:35 PM
My body went straight to hell after my second child.

mommyp
04-06-2013, 04:48 PM
I didn't have a particularly hard pregnancy but I didn't find it wonderful or anything. Its now time to start thinking about #2 and I want another baby but I absolutely dread being pregnant again. I find myself so jealous of DH that he doesn't have to be pregnant or breast feed or pump or anything. So not fair.

Thoughts?

For me, definitely worse after second DC. I did get back to pre-preg weight before TTC #2 (after about 18 months!) and it is much harder trying to get back this time. I'm not convinced my belly will recover. I'm going to remark on the part I bolded above. I'm not sure why you think it's time to start thinking about #2 already? Some people are ready at that point, but we were in no way ready to think about TTC #2 until DD was at least 2.5. We ended up with two spaced nearly 4 years apart and it's great for us. If you're not in the place yet, don't feel you have to rush it!

baymom
04-06-2013, 05:03 PM
After my DS, the weight came off with no exercise or real effort on my part in about 4-5 months. I did ebf, but that's it. It wasn't just the weight, but my body seemed to 'bounce back' in terms of firmness, ect, as well. I got pregnant with DD when he was 10 months old and gained less weight. My OB was actually monitoring me because I had trouble gaining weight due to morning sickness. Still, despite the lower weight gain, it took me over a year of effort to loose all the weight. I've always had (and still have) narrow hips, but now have a belly pouch, bat wings on my upper arms and back fat. I'm down to lower than my prepregnancy weight, but everything has really shifted around and it's not pretty! DS was a c-section and DD was a VBAC and I'm not sure if that made a difference at all, or having DC back-to-back. But, I'm working on getting more toned and making some progress and in the meantime have learned to dress my new body as flatteringly as I can.

JamiMac
04-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Mine didn't change really at all after my second or third baby. The changes that took place (which really weren't many) were done with DD1. I lost weight quickly with breastfeeding, but lost is quicker with the second two because it was exclusive. I think how in shape you are going into each pregnancy makes a difference. If you're back to square one before the next starts, it's easier to bounce back. I also think genetics play a role too.

queenmama
04-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I seriously have aged more in the last 18 months than I have in my entire adult life- I'm 33 now- I have wrinkles, my skin has lost its luster, I look in the mirror and I don't recognize myself- even though I weigh the same as I did pre pregnancy. I look 10 years older than I did 2 years ago.

Ugh, I could've written this. It is so depressing. I feel like, maybe if I scrub hard enough, the older-looking Lara will peel off to reveal the younger-looking pre-2nd DC Lara underneath. She has to be in there somewhere, right? She can't have gone forever.

Lara

twotimesblue
04-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Eugh. This has been on my mind a lot lately. DS2 will turn 5 months old next week and I'm still 10lbs heavier than I was before I got pregnant with him. It's pretty depressing as my whole body shape seems to have changed - my back is wider and my arms are chunkier - I can't wear any of my pretty dresses any more as I look like a linebacker in them! After DS1's birth I was looking OK in a bikini 3 months after delivery, and had lost all the 38lbs I gained by then. A year after birth I was wearing a size 4, had a flat stomach etc with no real effort.

This time around, I gained 40lbs, and I'm doing all the same things I did after DS1 - eating healthily, exclusively breastfeeding, trying to do a lot of walking etc - and still I can't seem to shift this weight. My second pregnancy was way harder than the first, too. If we do decide to have a third kid I am convinced my body will never recover!

bisous
04-06-2013, 07:11 PM
I gained tons of weight with each of my pregnancies. I always started around 120 or so and was up to 195 with my first, 190 with my second and 180 with my third. It took a little longer each time but I was able to drop the baby weight. I wouldn't say my body is totally unchanged but the biggest changes happened after my first FOR SURE. I do have some light stretch marks on my belly and a HUGE C-section scar. I also have a "pooch" but I have NOT worked that hard to get rid of it. I'm confident that when I finally get it together with diet and exercise, I may not be at my "former glory" but I'll be just fine for a lady who had four kids!

essnce629
04-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Worse.

With DS1 I gained 36lbs and was back to my pre-pregnancy weight at the 6 week mark.

With DS2 I gained 40lbs and it took 9 months and me going dairy-free to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I have more of a pooch this time around too. I was back in a bikini at 4 months PP with DS1, but after DS2 I bought my first tankini!

buttercup
04-06-2013, 08:35 PM
I have not read all the responses, but here is my experience. Ime, it has more to do with how much weight you gain and how you treat yourself with each pregnancy. I gained far too much with the first one and took 3 yrs to lose it. I had a lot going on and a very stressful life. With the 2nd, there was 7 year difference so even though I was older, I gained a bit less and I would say total incremental damage is none. That said, I'm not going to test fate with a third...

edurnemk
04-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I feel like my body is pretty much the same as after DC1, honestly. I don't gain much, 20 pounds tops with each pg. I also had 4 years between pregnancies, maybe that's a factor as well. I'm a few pounds over my ideal weight, and it's definitely not my pre-kids body, but I on't feel like the second pg left me in a wrose state then the first.

lchang25000
04-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Gained 45 pounds with both pregnancies and wore my pre pregnancy clothes and lost all the weight by 5 months postpartum the first time without any exercise or diet. This time around, it's even almost 6 months postpartum and I still have almost 15 pounds to lose, ugh! I've been working out 2-3 times a week with my trainer and going to cycling class 3 times a week too. I guess my sweets addiction that I acquired during pregnancy doesnt help any. :p