PDA

View Full Version : Single Cup coffee maker

lhafer
04-06-2013, 11:43 AM
We've had a Tassimo coffee maker in the past, and it was used in the beginning, but neither of us really drank much coffee at the time. After a long while of collecting dust and not being used, we sold it.

In the past year, DH has started drinking coffee - specifically a blonde French roast from Starbucks on the way to work every morning We don't have a coffee maker at all anymore, so he has to get his coffee from there.

Is the Keurig the way to go? Maybe the Mini one? I personally drink hot chocolate. We occasionally drinks cappuccinos, but it's usually when we are out to dinner with dessert. Would a Keurig suit our needs? Something else?

AnnieW625
04-06-2013, 12:06 PM
I bought DH the Cuisinart Keurig set from Costco. The Starbucks K Cups are suppose to be the best, but they are rarely on sale. DH likes the San Francisco Coffee Co. French Roast k cups, which are 80 cups for $22 @ Costco. IMHO if your DH drinks more than 12 oz. of coffee a day then I would just keep buying the Starbucks blond blend and get a small 4 cup coffee pot for him. A French press or a Chemex would be a good alternative too if your DH is not in a rush in the AM. I bought DH the Keurig mainly because he is in a rush and I was buying too much coffee outside the house at work, but I only drink maybe 16 oz. or so if decaf a day and I can't stand reheated coffee, but my little 4 cup coffee maker brewed a better cup when I made 4 cups instead of two. I buy Peet's Decaf and use the reusable k cups.

For hot chocolate I just use the hot water feature and add the hot cocoa mix to it. Same for tea.

lhafer
04-06-2013, 12:36 PM
He buys a Venti daily on the way to work, and refills it 1-2 times throughout the day, I'm assuming with coffee from work. Although he never drinks coffee at home on the weekends...well, because we don't have a coffee maker. He's usually ready to go out the door in the mornings, and generally leaves between 5:30-6am. So something that's pretty quick (or programmable) would be better. But I don't necessarily want to compromise taste for convenience. I'm open to all suggestions and coffee makers.

AnnieW625
04-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Hmm I would probably buy an 8 cup coffee maker then buy him a nice thermal carafe so he can take it all with him. This is the last coffee maker we had, http://m.blackanddeckerappliances.com/products/coffee-and-tea/coffee-and-tea-makers/8-cup-thermal-programmable-coffee-maker-cm1609.aspx. We had it got 8 yrs. and it was used almost daily.

lhafer
04-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Does anyone have the newer Keurig Vue brewer?

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2013, 06:15 PM
How about a French Press? It makes a delicious cup of coffee! I find it much better than other methods and it really is easy. I heat the water in the microwave for about 3 minutes. While that is heating, I fill the press. When the water is ready, I pour it in, put the lid on and walk away for 3-5 minutes. Press and done. I know the hands on time sounds like a pain but 1. it's small so not a counter hog; 2. you don't need to buy anything special (or worry about a certain coffee maker going out of vogue and not able to get refills in the future); 3. it makes yummy coffee.

sophiesmom03
04-06-2013, 06:21 PM
I love my French press and my Nespresso pixie with aeroccino.

NCGrandma
04-06-2013, 06:21 PM
How about a French Press? It makes a delicious cup of coffee! I find it much better than other methods and it really is easy. I heat the water in the microwave for about 3 minutes. While that is heating, I fill the press. When the water is ready, I pour it in, put the lid on and walk away for 3-5 minutes. Press and done. I know the hands on time sounds like a pain but 1. it's small so not a counter hog; 2. you don't need to buy anything special (or worry about a certain coffee maker going out of vogue and not able to get refills in the future); 3. it makes yummy coffee.

If you're used to filtered coffee (I usually use a cup-top Melitta filter gizmo but also have a Cuisinart coffeemaker that uses basket filters), you may find that French press coffee tastes sludge-y. I really like coffee but NOT French press style!

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2013, 06:27 PM
There is another one that uses a filter and is non-electronic:
http://www.amazon.com/ABID-CO-LTD-C-70888-Dripper/dp/B0047W70GY/ref=sr_1_41?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365287133&sr=1-41&keywords=chemex

I bought one b/c I found the French Press a little too sludgy. But, then I used that above and the coffee was too bland. It was too light and not deep enough (same coffee). I went back to the French Press.

ncat
04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
We used a cheap Melitta plastic filter cone for years for DH's during the week single cup coffee for on the way to work. All he needed to do was boil water (tea kettle) and set up the cone, paper filter, and grounds over his travel mug.
It was fast, simple, easy to clean, and worked great!

Gracemom
04-07-2013, 09:47 AM
We used a cheap Melitta plastic filter cone for years for DH's during the week single cup coffee for on the way to work. All he needed to do was boil water (tea kettle) and set up the cone, paper filter, and grounds over his travel mug.
It was fast, simple, easy to clean, and worked great!

Yep, this is what I do every day!

mommy111
04-07-2013, 04:25 PM
We use a Keurig. Best. Darned. Investment. Ever. No hassle, professional tasting cup of coffee, nothing gets dirty/has to be washed. The perfect solution for rushed working people

lhafer
04-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Well. Went to Bed Bath and Beyond fully prepared to buy the Cuisinart coffee maker with hot water dispenser. But after talking with the knowledge sales person there, we discussed the Keurig, the Tassimo, the new Starbucks Verismo, and the Cuisinart - I left with the Starbucks Verismo (http://verismo.com/en-us/)!! It's new on the market (came out in December) so the variety of the cups is not nearly as vast as Keurig. But they guy said that the coffee is as good as any actual Starbucks coffee he has ever tasted. And they have available the kind of coffee my DH drinks. Plus I like the occasional latte. So I thought I would try it out. I will let you know how we like it after using it for a while.