PDA

View Full Version : Looking at our new house again, before moving in... what should we take note of?

ourbabygirl
04-06-2013, 03:28 PM
We're moving at the end of the month :boogie:, and going to see the house again in a couple of hours to get some measurements and such. We need some new furniture (bar stools, eventually a new sectional, possibly some new rugs if we don't buy theirs), and I want to see if we need blinds and/or black-out curtains for the bedrooms.

Are there other things we should be looking at more closely to figure out what we'll need to buy, order, give away, etc. before we move? Paint color is a big one (I started a thread about it a week or so ago)- it's kind of a dark sage green, but it's pretty much all over the main floor (very open floor plan), and while the color is NMS, it goes well with the tile backsplash in the kitchen area (dark irridescent colors in the tiny tiles, more jewel tones). Luckily the paint colors in the rest of the house are very neutral (light beige, etc.).

Thanks so much for your help! :)

crl
04-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Take as many measurements as you possibly can. I always seem to miss a few and then I'm guessing at whether a particular piece of furniture will fit.

Look and see if you will need door mats. Good to have those right away. Look and see if you will need any tub stoppers or hair catchers for baths and showers.

Check if there are any rooms with no over head lights to make sure you have lamps for them.

Catherine

gatorsmom
04-06-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure if you've gone already but you might want to take note where the closets are in the house and the kitchen drawer layout. That will give you a little time to plan precisely where your kitchem items will go as well as linens and bedding.

I liked going into my houses knowing ahead of time where I wanted things to go. It prevented me from have to rearrange items a second time. It will also help you when you are packing for the move.

hellokitty
04-06-2013, 08:31 PM
If you need any new flooring, I'd have it installed before you move in. That is what we did and it helped a lot.

gamma
04-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Late reply, but take some photos with your camera phone of the kitchen layout, rooms and yard.

joonbug
04-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Think about the blinds/shades in terms of how the rooms are going to be used and the direction the windows are facing! In our house, most windows face south or south west and we are only now putting black out shades in DDs room (the time change surely contributed to that!). While we are ok with light filtering blinds everywhere, and no curtains other than looks, DD has starting complaining it is not bedtime yet as her room stays semi dark till 8 (and its only april) even with closed blinds and drawn curtains. Besides, some windows have ac units and we cannot close curtains then...