PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE! Can't figure out what to eat for breakfast that won't make me sick!

bisous
04-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Well, I'm planning on hitting up Trader Joes for some ginger candies and heading to the regular grocery store for some instant breakfast. Both of those SOUNDED good and that means a lot right now!

This morning, lacking any shopping opportunities, I had toast with peanut butter and honey. And it didn't make me sick! And it was so good I ate it for lunch too. It is just so hard to find something that doesn't make me feel sick.

THANK YOU for all the suggestions. They have been really helpful!

As a result, I've been skipping breakfast and that is totally not good.

When you had morning sickness, what could you tolerate for breakfast? I think I need to do low-carb too. I see to be really affected by carbs.

TIA,

Jen

urquie
04-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I liked to start with a chewy ginger candy. It brought me a lot of nausea relief.

todzwife
04-06-2013, 07:16 PM
I lived on protein shakes for breakfast.

bisous
04-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Great suggestions! I haven't tried either of those. Any brand recommendations or recipes?

essnce629
04-06-2013, 07:32 PM
With DS2 I used to drink a peanut butter shake made with peanut butter, whole milk greek yogurt, and a banana. I would also eat a small bowl of the high protein Go Lean Kashi cereal.

Mali
04-06-2013, 07:33 PM
String cheese and crustables.

Thinking about food made me sick so I had to have something I could eat to take the edge off first before I could even think about what I actually wanted for a meal. These two were the easiest with work.

georgiegirl
04-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Um, nothing helped. I always felt fine in the morning, but once I are something, I felt terrible. I tried scrambled eggs since I had heard that low carb, high protein was the way to go, but the eggs made me really sick. The easiest thing for me to stomach was cheesy toast. Once I reached the second trimester, I went back to my usual of plain Greek yogurt, honey, fruit, and organic granola.

What helped the most was taking zofran 2x a day plus unisom/B6 at night.

BunnyBee
04-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Turkey or chicken without much seasoning
Peanut butter on multigrain toast (later)
Cheese toast

Eating before I got out of bed helped.

bisous
04-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Um, nothing helped. I always felt fine in the morning, but once I are something, I felt terrible. I

This is me! Which is why I don't want to eat anything.

Also, I'm calling this morning sickness but I have yet to throw up at all. It is just a persistent, sick to stomach feel that is pretty crummy. Is the b6/unisom thing recommended but just "feeling crummy" without the attending nausea?

abh5e8
04-06-2013, 08:02 PM
for me, all i could tolerate were carbs. saltines, toast with jelly, popcorn. i would snack on those things for a couple of hours then eat an early lunch.

soon2b4
04-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Nutri-grain waffles with peanut butter (or one with peanut butter and one with Nutella, made into a sandwich :loveeyes:)

georgiegirl
04-06-2013, 09:03 PM
This is me! Which is why I don't want to eat anything.

Also, I'm calling this morning sickness but I have yet to throw up at all. It is just a persistent, sick to stomach feel that is pretty crummy. Is the b6/unisom thing recommended but just "feeling crummy" without the attending nausea?

The unisom/B6 really helped with my nausea. I never puked, I just felt like I wanted to 24 hours a day (except when I was asleep.). Once I was taking the zofran and unisom/B6 like clockwork, I felt well enough to eat again regularly. I still felt gross after breakfast, but not bad enough that I was afraid to eat. And with a half a tablet of unisom at night, it's much easier to get a good nights sleep.

It's still morning sickness even if you never puke. Sorry you feel so crummy. I never had any morning sickness with my first two, but then I felt horrible the third time around.

Indianamom2
04-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Dry Crispix...without thinking...because if I thought about it, it was not good.

todzwife
04-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Oh! I don't know why, but special K w/ strawberries was delicious to me LOL! The sour strawberries were great! And I liked the protein one too. I ate a LOT of cereal.

Peanut butter and jelly but it HAD to be toasted.

I love muscle milk light for a quick protein shake.

bisous
04-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Thank you for the recommendations. Some of those things sound good but I think for sure they would make me ill. My first two pregnancies I craved all things carbs during the first few months but this and the last carbs have made me feel ill. I'm wondering if I'm wandering down the road to GD.

I'm going to try protein shakes and ginger candy. Also, peanut butter might work and that is easy. I might ask my MD about the medication combo although I HOPE that within 3 weeks this horrible feelings will go away! Just taking it one day at a time...

DrSally
04-06-2013, 11:54 PM
I lived on plain, toasted bagels with butter for awhile

BayGirl2
04-06-2013, 11:55 PM
I craved Peanut Butter and Apple Sauce with DD.
Hard boiled eggs are my standby breakfast, easy and no carb

For DS I wanted and ate too many carbs. I was all about bagels and the occasional pop tart.

infomama
04-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Have you given green smoothies a go? Easy to digest, tasty and full of good stuff.

AnnieW625
04-07-2013, 12:09 PM
With DD1 ate saltines and peanut butter at night before going to bed. I never actually threw up either, but the saltines and peanut butter helped with the sour stomach feeling. With baby 2 I just randomly threw up in the pm and it didn't matter what I ate. I didn't have many issues at all with DD2 at all except heartburn later on.

urquie
04-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Great suggestions! I haven't tried either of those. Any brand recommendations or recipes?

I used to buy them at an asain grocer, then found a new brand at tj's.

"Trader Joe's Ginger Chews brought to you by the Ginger People."

Blue Hydrangea
04-07-2013, 05:53 PM
I survived on Carnation Breakfast essentials (used to be called Instant Breakfast). I'm not sure why, but the chocolate milk went down pretty easy, and it had the same amount of protein as an egg in a small serving.

sunshine873
04-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I survived on Carnation Breakfast essentials (used to be called Instant Breakfast). I'm not sure why, but the chocolate milk went down pretty easy, and it had the same amount of protein as an egg in a small serving.

:yeahthat: either that or a mini bagel, toasted with butter. Anything else was not good. I could eat an egg later, but only if DH cooked it. The smell of eggs cooking was more than I could stand.

Tanya
04-08-2013, 12:13 PM
I had horrible morning sickness with my first and never thought of trying anything other than carbs like crackers and they did no good whatsoever. I was sick 24 hours a day.
For my twin pregnancy, I found that protein worked. I tried protein bars for awhile and they seemed to help, but one puke and I couldn't stomach those anymore. So, then I usually made some peanut butter crackers the night before and put them next to the bed in a sealed container. Seemed to really help. I was never able to talk myself into eggs when my stomach was upset. Plus, I needed to eat something immediately and not wait while I fixed something.

Morning sickness stinks.

Still-in-Shock
04-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I never had morning sickness, I only felt nauseous when DH would drive me somewhere - and I normally don't get car sick.

Someone mentioned ginger candy. If you can't find that, you might want to see if ginger ale will settle your tummy.

Hoping this resolves itself soon!

Tondi G
04-08-2013, 01:34 PM
I found that tart green apples helped some. If you think peanut butter might be helpful ... maybe just try a spoonful? with crackers? or on some apple slices?

bisous
04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Update in OP.

minnie-zb
04-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Initially (when I could still eat food), BLT's worked for me. The saltiness of the bacon really helped.

PunkyBoo
04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
I agree with eating candied ginger. I buy it at at TJs in the dried fruit section. Its labeled Unchrystallized Candied ginger. You can chew it straight or make tea out of it. Use your fingernails to break up a few chunks of ginger, add boiling water. Use a spoon to further break up the ginger pieces. Drink and also eat the ginger. Yum. That's what I give my kids anytime they complain of tummy aches (or any feeling of illness for that matter ginger helps lots of sickness).

todzwife
04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Glad you found something that helped! Peanut butter has been my saving grace this pregnancy...I was joking with DH that this little girl is going to be part peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

fauve01
04-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I missed this post originally, but wanted to say try Umeboshi plums. They're really sour and pickle-y, but help settle the stomach because they're really alkaline and balance out the acidity. or something. ;) my aunt lived near Chinatown in San Fran when she was pg and one day she couldn't eat when she and colleagues were out to lunch at a Chinese restaurant. the little grama who was the cook wanted to know if the food was bad and when my aunt explained she was pg and morning sick, the grama gave her these plums. I had one first thing every morning when I was pg. they are easy to find at Asian markets, or I suppose you could order online. my sister took them too, when some of her lupus medicine made her nauseous.
They look like this
http://www.iherb.com/Eden-Foods-Selected-Umeboshi-Paste-Pickled-Plum-Puree-7-oz-200-g/15506?gclid=CKWqtpnsw7YCFQ_ZQgodblAAfA

they also come dried in little balls, but my sister says they don't work as well
http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_details.php?products_id=110300

and here is a little article about them from Alicia Silverstone's blog:
http://thekindlife.com/blog/post/alicia-silverstone-umeboshi-plums-2012

oooh, looks like you can make tea with them. :)

I also had a lot of carbs in the beginning--saltines, bagels, pretzels. Feel better, OP!