PDA

View Full Version : Homemade deodorant

infomama
04-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Jason and Toms natural deodorants have let me down. Anyone made their own that actually works? Was thinking of this one.
www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2010/7/11/dont-sweat-it-and-dont-eat-it.html

theriviera
04-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Bubble and bee has a pretty good one. I do however, make my own. I'm on my phone so can't link but google crunchy Betty homemade deodorant.

MommyAllison
04-07-2013, 12:20 AM
I made some using a recipe off Pinterest and have been really happy with it. I apply in the morning and am fine the entire day (never found a natural deo that did that). I will try to find the link and edit my post.

legaleagle
04-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Yes love the homemade deodorant! I've been using it for about 6 months, works better than dove or secret for me.

RedSuedeShoes
04-18-2013, 12:33 AM
I've been making my own for about 2 years or so. The recipe I use takes baking soda, cornstarch, coconut oil, shea butter and cocoa butter plus lavender essential oil. Love it, except for one thing. When I pull my summer/winter shirts out for the season, they all have big white stains on the armpits. I did find a solution - I soaked them for a day or two in a cocktail of laundry boosters (OxiClean, etc.) and then washed in warm. It worked, but I'm going to do that at the end of the season this time. But besides that, I really love it!

MommyAllison
04-18-2013, 11:34 AM
This is the recipe I used. http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2012/12/diy-coconut-oil-deodorant.html I didn't have arrowroot powder on hand, but I can't remember if I just left it out, or if I added more baking soda or cornstarch. Anyway, I love it!

boltfam
04-18-2013, 11:59 AM
This is the recipe I used. http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2012/12/diy-coconut-oil-deodorant.html I didn't have arrowroot powder on hand, but I can't remember if I just left it out, or if I added more baking soda or cornstarch. Anyway, I love it!

Thanks for posting! I think I'm going to have to try it!

kristenk
04-18-2013, 12:08 PM
I recently made my own, thanks to this thread!

I used the recipe from crunchy betty that was mentioned upthread.

It's:
1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 c. cornstarch (or arrowroot powder, but I only had cornstarch)
5 Tablespoons coconut oil

You can also add in essential oils, but I didn't do that.

It seems to work for me pretty well. This summer will be the bigger test! I'm happy that I gave it a try and made the switch.

1mom2dylan
04-18-2013, 12:31 PM
The recipe I use is 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 10-15 drops of tea tree oil. Works great!

doberbrat
04-18-2013, 04:59 PM
what kind of container do you keep it in and how do you apply? seems like it would be messy.....

legaleagle
04-18-2013, 08:32 PM
what kind of container do you keep it in and how do you apply? seems like it would be messy.....

I keep it in a small Tupperware (same container I mix it in). For me it's not really messy because I add arrowroot until its stiff enough to pick up easily, how much depends on how warm the house is, since the melting point of coconut oil is 70-something degrees.

I use similar recipe but I don't even bother measuring now. I do a generous spoonful of coconut oil, mix in a few drops of essential oils (I use tea tree and orange), add a spoonful of baking soda and mix in thoroughly then add arrowroot until its quite stiff and I can easily break off a pea sized amount. To apply, I take the blob, hold it against my armpit for a few seconds until it starts melting and then rub it in. Not messy at all and I've had no issues with staining esp if I remember to wait 5 minutes before putting on my shirt.

oneplustwo
04-18-2013, 10:10 PM
I've been making mine for a few years, based off a couple recipes that JT's Mom posted here; she called it her knock-off Funk Butter. They were:

2 T coconut oil
2 T unrefined shea butter
2 T baking soda
A lot- maybe 10ish T of cornstartch- depends on how liquidy the coconut oil is
A few drops of whatever EO you like.

And measuring a little more exactly, she posted:

2T + 2t coconut oil
2T Shea butter
2/3 c cornstarch
1.5 t baking soda
3 drops of tangerine EO (optional)

When I make my own, I tend to use 2T baking soda, 2T shea butter, 2 heaping tablespoons coconut oil, 2/3 cups cornstarch (sometimes a bit less) and some EO drops. Right now I like using vanilla (in jojoba oil) and sandalwood. In the winter I need to microwave the coconut oil a little so that it softens enough to mix well with the other ingredients and come out smooth. Even when I don't need to do that, the mixture always firms up after a day or so. I keep some in a small glass jar and more in plastic jars ~ I have some in a 3-oz. travel container from the drugstore to use for airplane travel. Whenever I make a batch, it lasts me a looooong time.

Sweetum
04-18-2013, 10:44 PM
How do you apply?

kristenk
04-18-2013, 10:56 PM
As far as application goes, my concoction feels fairly dry. I pull off about a pea-sized piece of it and then rub it on with my hand. It melts and rubs in quickly.

I thought that application would be awkward, but it's really not. It feels sort of weird pulling off a chunk of deodorant, but I'm used to it now!

oneplustwo
04-18-2013, 11:30 PM
How do you apply?

As far as application goes, my concoction feels fairly dry. I pull off about a pea-sized piece of it and then rub it on with my hand. It melts and rubs in quickly.

I thought that application would be awkward, but it's really not. It feels sort of weird pulling off a chunk of deodorant, but I'm used to it now!

I do pretty much the same. I scoop out a pea-sized amount on my finger, roll it around a second between two fingers if it's hard/cold (which it can be during our cold winters, brrr) to soften it, and then rub into my armpit like you would a lotion or cream. It rubs right in. Easy peasy.

MommyAllison
04-18-2013, 11:55 PM
I do pretty much the same. I scoop out a pea-sized amount on my finger, roll it around a second between two fingers if it's hard/cold (which it can be during our cold winters, brrr) to soften it, and then rub into my armpit like you would a lotion or cream. It rubs right in. Easy peasy.

Yep, me too. I store it in a small mason jar (8oz jelly jar size).