PDA

View Full Version : Child portrait - would you take this into consideration? (clothing choice/embarrasmt

barkley1
04-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm considering getting a portait of DS done (age 3.5) similar to the one in the pic (clothing and pose, maybe not background). I was talking it over with my mom, who is usually very "hoity toity" and she was just sure that DS would be embarrased one day to have it hanging in our home when his friends came over, b/c of what he was wearing. Seriously?! Is that something you would consider? I thought the outfit was very traditional and very plain. I've certainly seen formal portraits with much worse, almost lacy and billowing, clothes on (boy) kids...stuff that I wouldn't have put on DS when he was 3 months, much less 3 years old!

So, I guess there are two questions here: 1. is that something you would consider when doing the portrait - future embarrassment 10 years down the road when friends come over, and 2. is the outfit really that bad? LOL! Thanks!

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u551/barkley0/pose3_zps96a512b9.jpg

ourbabygirl
04-07-2013, 03:02 PM
I think it's cute, but the shirt could be switched out for a more traditional collared button-down one, or even a white polo shirt. I just think the Peter Pan collar could look a little babyish and old-fashioned, and isn't super 'masculine' (not that you really need that for a little boy, but I think you know what I mean). The shorts are great, though- it's not like you have him in a onesie or something. ;)

AngB
04-07-2013, 03:04 PM
I would opt for a different shirt, personally. I think it would embarrass most kids. If my mom had put something like that on one of my brothers we would totally still be giving her crap for it and probably embarrassing them with it even now.

brittone2
04-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Where I grew up and where I live now, people do not tend to use jon jons or other traditional outfits like the one pictured at all. I never see people do peter pan collars where I live, even on young toddlers.

When we spent 5 years in NC, the more traditional boy clothes like jon jons, etc. were everywhere, even on boys over 3 yo.

I think it is cute, but I do think it is somewhat a regional thing, and perceptions would probably be altered by that

I think you should do it if it appeals to you. 3.5 is still so young, and I wouldn't "borrow trouble" about how he might feel about it down the road.

marymoo86
04-07-2013, 03:06 PM
I think it's cute, but the shirt could be switched out for a more traditional collared button-down one, or even a white polo shirt. I just think the Peter Pan collar could look a little babyish and old-fashioned, and isn't super 'masculine' (not that you really need that for a little boy, but I think you know what I mean). The shorts are great, though- it's not like you have him in a onesie or something. ;)

:yeahthat:

Then again I am not a fan of Jon Jon's or smocked clothing. I missed that southern gene :)

waitingforgrace
04-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Yes I consider what I and the rest of my family (DDs &DH) will think and feel about what we wore in formal pictures down the road.

The outfit is NMS, I would pick a different shirt and probably not do all white. Ultimately though, do what you like, they're your pictures, hanging in your house.

AnnieW625
04-07-2013, 03:08 PM
John Johns or formal rounded collars are not normal here so my first instinct would be to do a polo shirt or a long sleeve traditional Oxford or cotton button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up and the same style shorts.

scrooks
04-07-2013, 03:09 PM
It is not my taste but I agree it may very well be a regional thing. If it is something you really want and will cherish it I say go for it!

IansMom
04-07-2013, 03:10 PM
I like it, but then, I am from, and live in, the South. :D

vmcorno
04-07-2013, 03:14 PM
I just saw a dozen or more boys (up to age 5 or so) at church this morning in outfits just like this. Where I live (the deep south), this is normal for little boys. My son (now 8) wore things like this and wouldn't have any problem with the portrait hanging on our wall. This may be different depending on where you live.

AngB
04-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Huh. Interesting about it being regional, we are in the midwest and I've never seen a kid in an outfit like that, much less that it had a name. If this is normal for your area then that might change my answer.

georgiegirl
04-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Definitely regional. I live in the Midwest, but have lived on both coasts, and I've never seen a child wear that type of top before. I'd pick a different shirt.

mommy111
04-07-2013, 04:30 PM
North easters here and even my daughter declines to wear anything 'too formal' so that would totally not be OK on a boy.
But if its the norm where you are, go for it!!

twowhat?
04-07-2013, 04:41 PM
I'd pick a white linen short (or long) sleeve button-down (not a hidden placket) with a regular point (not peter pan) collar. And cargo shorts.

I agree with everyone who says he'd be embarrassed with it in a few years if you picked the white peter pan collar shirt.

american_mama
04-07-2013, 05:19 PM
I do think it would embarrass a boy down the road and that would probably stop me from dressing him in it. If you are anticipating it as an 11x 14 photo or smaller that will hang on your wall for a while and eventually be stored away, then go for it. But it you are going for a big wall portrait that might be on your wall in 5 and 10 years, I would not do it.

I think everything about the outfit is fine except the collar. I personally think an oxford shirt or polo shirt gives a different look, kind of preppy, and I can see how you are going for a different look. Not sure how to achieve that. Maybe a guayabera shirt, http://www.amazon.com/Linen-short-sleeve-white-Guayabera/dp/B007858NNG/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1365369209&sr=1-1&keywords=guayabera+shirt+boy?
I bought a similar shirt at Old Navy for my 4 year old last year.

Maybe a collarless shirt? They're kind of 1990's, though. Maybe a white henley shirt? Or a sweater vest with T shirt or polo underneath? Those are very popular with Easter photos and end-of-year preschool recitals.

I am not from the south, but live there now. The "prince" look does seem to be more a southern thing, and more popular among some friends than others (i.e. a friend from SC likes it for her son and gets lots of such outfits from SC friends and family. A rather wealthy preschool my DD attended had a lot of little brothers with those clothes, whereas the other more average preschools my kids have attended in the same town do not have them.)

flashy09
04-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I would change the shirt. It caught my eye and I think you want the focus on your kid. The collar looks too young and too frilly for a boy his age (IMO). I would pick an outfit that doesn't take center stage in the picture.

Momit
04-07-2013, 05:23 PM
I live in the land of smocking, seersucker and John Johns, so the outfit does not look at all out of place for a preschooler's portrait. If he were 8, no, but at 3.5 it's still cute. I do agree that you could do a white linen or Oxford type shirt and those shorts and that would be ok, too. I think everyone has baby pictures that make them roll their eyes as older kids/teens.

sntm
04-07-2013, 05:30 PM
I think it's adorable. No matter what you put him in, he will be embarrassed by it when he's a teen!

Personally, I don't like outfits on little boys that are just miniatures of what dad wears. Polo shirts on 3 year olds seem falsely mature, like a miniskirt on a girl would.

Melbel
04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
I live in the land of smocking, seersucker and John Johns, so the outfit does not look at all out of place for a preschooler's portrait. If he were 8, no, but at 3.5 it's still cute.

:yeahthat: This type of outfit is common for more dressed up occasions in the SE (church, wedding, Easter) and would not be out of the norm or embarrassing down the road. If you are in doubt, you could change out the top to an oxford or polo shirt.

Melaine
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
I didn't think about it from a how the child will look back on it standpoint. Where I live that kind of outfit is pretty standard, especially for portraits but it's not my cup of tea. I'd also do a polo or some kind of linen button up shirt. I'm not into the smocked dresses for my girls either.

VClute
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
I think it's adorable. No matter what you put him in, he will be embarrassed by it when he's a teen!

Personally, I don't like outfits on little boys that are just miniatures of what dad wears. Polo shirts on 3 year olds seem falsely mature, like a miniskirt on a girl would.

YEEESSS! I don't see what the point would be of having a traditional portrait done in grown-up clothes would be. I think an oil portrait is a nod to a simpler time. I think a button-down or polo type shirt would be just as out-of-sync with an oil portrait as having a portrait done of your child playing on an ipad.

kmkaull
04-07-2013, 05:55 PM
I don't hate the outfit, but I think it is too young for a 3.5 year old. Perhaps better for an 18-month-old. My son is 3.5 and there is no way he'd wear that shirt. He would literally run away from me, lol.

MelissaTC
04-07-2013, 06:03 PM
I live in the land of smocking, seersucker and John Johns, so the outfit does not look at all out of place for a preschooler's portrait. If he were 8, no, but at 3.5 it's still cute. I do agree that you could do a white linen or Oxford type shirt and those shorts and that would be ok, too. I think everyone has baby pictures that make them roll their eyes as older kids/teens.

I agree. It is quite common around here and I think it is sweet.

JBaxter
04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
I dont care for it and would't put that shirt on any of my boys at 3.5 maybe 1yr. We just moved to SC and started attending church and I haven't seen anyone dress their boys like that and for sure not in our Maryland area.

citymama
04-07-2013, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't do the Peter Pan collar. Not a fan of Jon-jons either. A short sleeve collared shirt, perhaps? Solid tshirt? To me, it looks as anachronistic as a bowtie on a little boy born in 2009, unless tboyish is for him to look like a 1950s little boy.

TwinFoxes
04-07-2013, 07:22 PM
I don't hate the outfit, but I think it is too young for a 3.5 year old. .

:yeahthat: Even though I live in barely the south, I've seen outfits like this, as well as grown men wearing seersucker suits in the summer. But I do think that outfit is a bit young for a 3.5 year old. I think of them as a <3 year old outfit. If those outfits aren't common where you live, yeah, he'll be embarrassed. It's

marie
04-07-2013, 07:30 PM

I had no idea this land existed. :rotflmao:

And yes, everyone has childhood photos of themselves that they cringe at. There are these awesome professional (done by a fashion photographer) photos of my brother when he was 5 years old...wearing a yellow plaid suit. We all laugh about it when we see them. My mother swears it was the height of fashion. ;)

Octobermommy
04-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Totally NMS but if it is yours then go for it.

gatorsmom
04-07-2013, 08:43 PM
YEEESSS! I don't see what the point would be of having a traditional portrait done in grown-up clothes would be. I think an oil portrait is a nod to a simpler time. I think a button-down or polo type shirt would be just as out-of-sync with an oil portrait as having a portrait done of your child playing on an ipad.

:yeahthat: I live in the Midwest and I don't see much of those collars around here but I think it's darling. The Peter Pan collar makes the portraits look so innocent and timeless. And looks so good with hhis sweet, curls. I disagree that 3.5yo is too old for that. For goodness sake, 3.5yo is sooooo young! They are still so sweet and innocent at that age. I think putting a polo-collared shirt on him will make the portrait more dated in a few years. I also think it will make him look much more ordinary.

It really doesn't matter what you put on the child. In a few years he is going to be embarrassed about it and say he hates it. Do what you like.

WatchingThemGrow
04-07-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm in the south and while I know people who dress their boys in Jon Jons I only can think of one family who does it over age 2. The peter pan collar has never grabbed my attention, so a white Hanna polo would be a better bet for my DS. You're the mama and you have the choice to do whatever you and your DH choose.

KpbS
04-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Respectfully, there is the South and then there is the South....Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia it is not uncommon to see this Peter Pan collar and shorts outfit--it actually is an older look than a Jon Jon for boys and worn commonly for nicer occasions such as weddings, Easter, etc. up to age 5/6.

Personally I think the portrait is beautiful! I love it! And yes, he will be embarrassed one day of any picture hanging on the wall but that's normal. I say go for it! They are only young once. It all goes so fast.

teresah00
04-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Not my style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indigo99
04-07-2013, 09:40 PM
I had an adorable little outfit that both DS wore for their first Easter, and it had that sort of collar. DH hated it and said it made them look like girls even though the outfit is blue. I do live in the South, and I do see kids in JonJons fairly often. However, I would probably only put those sorts of outfits on boys under age 2.

eta: I have a short/shirt outfit with a similar collar that I am putting on DS2 this summer.

WatchingThemGrow
04-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I dont care for it and would't put that shirt on any of my boys at 3.5 maybe 1yr. We just moved to SC and started attending church and I haven't seen anyone dress their boys like that and for sure not in our Maryland area.
Welcome to the South, Jeana!:waving4: We're happy to have y'all here!

vonfirmath
04-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Its adorable. I've never seen a shirt exactly like that but I see no problem with it.

Now I need to go find a smocked dress for my daughter I think...

I know I love seersucker!

BunnyBee
04-07-2013, 09:54 PM
If he normally wears that style of dress for Sundays/special occasions, go for it! If it's unusual, I would rather have a portrait of how you remember him at this age. It will be a picture on a wall. Not a naked bear skin picture. He will have so much more to be embarrassed by than one picture when he's a teenager.

doberbrat
04-07-2013, 09:56 PM
The outfit is nms, but I think from an artistic perspective, its very nice. - ie, I wouldnt dress my kid like that but if I saw the painting in a museum, I'd love it.

I'm trying to picture the same pic with a button down shirt and I still think he'd be embarrassed by it in 10 yrs b/c of the flowers and longish curly hair. But I also agree that he will be embarrassed by any painting you have of him as a teenager.

let us know what you decide - I'm curious to know how it turns out :wink2:

barkley1
04-07-2013, 09:59 PM
This is so interesting! Obviously, it is very regional. I am from NC and how funny that most posters that thought it was ok/common/loved it whatever...were also from NC! My mom is from NC, too, so I'm not sure why she was so dead set against it.

I totally agree with this...although I do dress DS in polo shirts and khakis quite regulary for church, and with jeans for school, to dress in that for something as formal as an oil portrait just doesn't feel right.

:yeahthat: I live in the Midwest and I don't see much of those collars around here but I think it's darling. The Peter Pan collar makes the portraits look so innocent and timeless. And looks so good with hhis sweet, curls. I disagree that 3.5yo is too old for that. For goodness sake, 3.5yo is sooooo young! They are still so sweet and innocent at that age. I think putting a polo-collared shirt on him will make the portrait more dated in a few years. I also think it will make him look much more ordinary.

It really doesn't matter what you put on the child. In a few years he is going to be embarrassed about it and say he hates it. Do what you like.

3.5 is so very young...and that's why I want to get his portrait done at this age. I feel that soon he will start looking much older and lose that sweet "babyness", if you will, that he still has a little of :( that was another disagreement with my mom - she really thought I should wait until he's older...

I also think the polo shirt, although obviously a traditional item of clothing, will look dated in a few years. Just like the whole "everybody wear white shirts and khakis" family portraits that were so popular 10 years ago. Thanks to everyone for your opinions!

Globetrotter
04-07-2013, 10:01 PM
I probably wouldn't do it as a portrait but if you like it, maybe just do a regular photo shoot with your own camera, then use something else for the portrait. How about this?

http://www.bestdressedchild.com/jatebowhlidr.html

I think it kind of projects the same look but is more masculine.

ett
04-07-2013, 10:12 PM
It's NMS so I wouldn't do it, but if you love it, then you should definitely go for it. And like some PPs said, he'll be embarrassed by any picture of him on the wall when he's a teenager, so I wouldn't really worry about that.

SnuggleBuggles
04-07-2013, 10:17 PM
If he normally wears that style of dress for Sundays/special occasions, go for it! If it's unusual, I would rather have a portrait of how you remember him at this age. It will be a picture on a wall. Not a naked bear skin picture. He will have so much more to be embarrassed by than one picture when he's a teenager.

That's what I was thinking.

TwinFoxes
04-07-2013, 10:43 PM
How about this?

http://www.bestdressedchild.com/jatebowhlidr.html

I think it kind of projects the same look but is more masculine.

Cute shirt.

I think pp has a good point, if this is something he'd wear on occasion it makes more sense. But dressing him in a costume is not something I'd do. I'd also never dress anyone in a polo shirt. Fashion is so individual. :)

Globetrotter
04-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Oh yeah, I meant to say that I have all kinds of embarrassing pics of my kids, though I had to take down the half naked baby portrait at ds's request :) If you really love it, go ahead but i wouldn't make it a huge one in case he is embarrassed by it later.

jerseygirl07067
04-07-2013, 11:50 PM
I say do whatever you feel comfortable doing. I was most embarrassed by a photo my mom had of me in the awkward years...ie glasses and braces. Good heavens....she kept that %$%(#@ picture up until she moved out of our house!

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the shirt. I heard people mention the term John John (sp?) or something like that.....I never heard of that before! Then again look at my username and you can see where I'm from, lol. I do live in the south now, in FL, but where I live in central FL is quite a melting pot, both nationally and internationally. :) I only feel like I'm in the south when I drive about 20-30 mins east of where I live.

buddyleebaby
04-07-2013, 11:53 PM
I think if you love it, you should go for it.

*If* he is embarrassed as a teen, it (the portrait) can go away for a few years. When he is a grown man he is not going to be concerned with what his mom choose to dress him in a portrait when he was three years old. Really. You, on the other hand, will have that moment in time for ever, and treasure it.

echoesofspring
04-08-2013, 01:34 AM

:yeahthat:

I also agree with the PP that mentioned the collar being a little distracting, but only b/c I'm not used to it. But that's not to say I don't like it, I swing kind of old fashioned/vintagy- and would love to have an excuse to dress DS in an outfit like that.

YouAreTheFocus
04-08-2013, 02:40 AM
I don't think you should base your decision on what may or may not embarrass your DS at some point in the future, OR your Mom's taste. If you that's the look you are set on, go for it! If it were me, I'd end up regretting bending for those reasons.

In all honesty, I have a 3.5 yo DS and I wish we lived in an are where young boys were commonly dressed in rompers, jon jons, smocking, etc. I grew up in the NE and my Mom has never even heard of a jon jon, so IDK where I got this from. But to me it is the perfect little boy look--they have 80 years to wear polos & khakis!

AtlantaMom
04-08-2013, 10:14 AM
I like it, and I think it is age appropriate for a formal portrait.

However, here is a site with a few options that are a bit plainer (the shirt & short sets), but still classic/timeless looking.

http://www.tuechild.com/products.asp?cat=19

AngelaS
04-08-2013, 11:29 AM
I think it's a classic Southern outfit and you should totally do it.

June Mommy2
04-08-2013, 12:28 PM
I love it! Of course, I'm from SC and have a portrait of my DS at 3 in a long smocked bubble, so there ya go ;)

smilequeen
04-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I like it and I'm not remotely southern. My boys wore smocked bubbles and jon jons when they were tiny. That's totally fine for 3. Seriously, I'm more embarrassed by the SO 70s clothes in my old pictures :) but even then the clothes I wore when I was 3 would not be embarrassing to me.

Anyway, he's a little kid, a preschooler. He's not a grown man. You can dress him like a little kid if you want to. Just don't put it on him when he's 12 ;)