PDA

View Full Version : What day(s) of the week do you go grocery shopping?

ourbabygirl
04-07-2013, 07:11 PM
(poll coming)

I like to go Monday mornings with DS while DD is in preschool. That way I can make my list, and back when I used to get the Sunday paper and would clip coupons, I would do that on Sunday afternoon so I'd be ready to go for Monday morning. A lot of times I'll forget something for a meal later in the week and will run up and get it or have DH get it on the way home from somewhere, but I try to do the main trip about every Monday. I like going in the morning (around 9:30 or 10) because it's much less busy than on a week day evening or a Saturday or Sunday morning or afternoon. Before kids I was able to do it about once every two weeks, but now I like having more fresh fruit and milk around, so I go every week.

How about you?

infomama
04-07-2013, 07:14 PM
When were low on food..not very regimented.

queenmama
04-07-2013, 07:49 PM
When were low on food..not very regimented.

Same. I'm too disorganized to make regular plans.

I do like to go either right after school dropoff or after 10pm so I don't have to worry about crowds.

Lara

SnuggleBuggles
04-07-2013, 07:52 PM
As a SAHM, one of the perks is avoiding stores like the plague on the weekend! Otherwise, I try to go on weekday mornings while the kids are at school. I usually go a few times/ week to the store. I often go to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods as I have staples I like to get at both. Dh goes grocery shopping less than 6 times/ year (maybe I'm exaggerating ;)).

mackmama
04-07-2013, 07:55 PM
I try to go in the morning when it's less busy. Doesn't always work out that way.

ellies mom
04-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Generally we do our major grocery shopping as a family on Saturday evenings. We may stop by and pick up a few things during the week but Saturday is when we shop for what we need for dinner and lunches for the next week. We do our Costco runs usually every other Thursday during the day. Sometimes, it is just DH and I and sometimes one or both girls may be with us.

maestramommy
04-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Sundays I hit the two main grocery stores.
Friday is fish day at the Asian market.

Occasionally I will go during the week if there is suddenly something I need right away. Otherwise, it's the two days.

KrisM
04-07-2013, 08:07 PM
I avoid Mondays because our store doesn't get a truck on Sunday night, so they are always low on stuff on Monday. I used to go on Tuesdays. Now, I go Wednesdays because I volunteer in DS1's class on Wednesday and I have 1.5 hours after that before I pick up DS2 from preschool, so it's a good filler for that time.

I do go other times if there is something we need, but for my big trip with a list, etc, Wednesday it is.

wencit
04-07-2013, 08:10 PM
As a SAHM, one of the perks is avoiding stores like the plague on the weekend!:yeahthat:

I almost always go during the weekdays, so I don't have to deal with the weekend crowds. I also have multiple places that I shop: Trader Joe's, Costco, sometimes Target, and sometimes Sprouts. I wish DS2 was in preschool a little longer so that I could go by myself, but I only have a 1 1/2 hour window before I have to pick up DS1 from school, so I invariably have at least 1 child with me.

BDKmom
04-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I usually go sometime Saturday or Sunday, and typically I take DS, or I have been for the past month or so. If we are pretty stocked up, I may skip a week, or have DH just go out to pick up milk and bread, etc.

I had Wednesdays off for a bit after DD was born, and I would go with her while DS was in daycare. I preferred going during the week, mostly because they were better stocked. If I go on weekends, I usually go later in the day, and it doens't seem to be super busy.

buddyleebaby
04-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Monday, Wednesday, and/or Thursday.

Friday people here are crazy. I don't know why but they always are.
Saturday and Sunday stores are crowded with weekenders and out-of-towners.
Tuesday is Senior Citizen discount day.

acmom
04-07-2013, 08:21 PM
I always go alone once a week, on either early Sat or Sun morning. I make my list and meal plan for the week and rarely go to the grocery store in between trips, unless it is for something like a party, item for preschool, etc.

Before we moved, I used to go one night a week alone, after DC were in bed. But now the grocery store I like is 15 minutes away vs. less than a mile where we used to live. For some reason, that extra driving time makes me really not like going at nights anymore.

ETA: I am a SAHM, but I have a hard time shopping for the week with both kids. The kids are pretty good there, but I just can't seem to concentrate as well and always get home without items on my list!

okinawama
04-07-2013, 08:30 PM
If DH is in town, I try and go on the weekend, without the kids. I find that I make less impulse buys and forget less when I go without kids.

When DH is gone, I go on Mondays or Wednesdays while DS1 is in school.

specialp
04-07-2013, 08:39 PM
DH goes very early Saturday morning. He is an early riser and I think he is there by 7 and done very quickly. This started when I was on bedrest and he has continued it and I am so grateful.

On Wed. when sale ads are out, I make the menu and grocery list for the next week (Sat-Sun). By the time Sat. morning rolls around, it is very unlikely that I have forgotten anything. I really hate grocery shopping the way some people hate the dentist so I give it my best efforts to not have to go. I'd rather spend 10 minutes planning than 2 or 3 30 minute trips running to the store.

BayGirl2
04-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Weekends mostly, but occasionally on Wed night bc I have to pick up our CSA box. Other nights if we're out of milk