PDA

View Full Version : Post your favorite Brussel Sprouts recipe, please!

randomkid
04-07-2013, 11:40 PM
I've done a search, but cannot find that recipe that so many here have referred to. I just discovered that DSD1 likes Brussel Sprouts and I would like to try some of your favorite recipes. I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of this particular veggie, but am willing to give it a try if you tell me that certain recipes make them much more delicious. I'm also always on the lookout for something different than our usuals.

pastrygirl
04-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Lately, I've been shredding them in the food processor (slicer attachment) and sautéing in olive oil until just softened, around 10 minutes. I also drizzle with Wegmans Basting Oil, which is just EVOO with some herbs. My boys eat it up!

athompson
04-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Not a recipe, but I'll share my method.
I wash, halve and cut off the end of each sprout. I spread them in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss together and then roast (stirring every 15 minutes or so) at 400 degrees until they look just right. Bright green, but with the edges brown is perfect. DH and my 4, 6 and 8 year olds all love them.

kep
04-09-2013, 10:17 AM
I wash, halve and cut off the end of each sprout. I spread them in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss together and then roast (stirring every 15 minutes or so) at 400 degrees until they look just right. Bright green, but with the edges brown is perfect. DH and my 4, 6 and 8 year olds all love them.

This is what we do. Must be kosher salt. I'm drooling just thinking about them!

Minnifer
04-09-2013, 11:43 AM
This recipe from the NY Times - my kids devour them!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Garlic
Yield 4 servings
Time About 45 minutes

Ingredients

1 pint brussels sprouts (about a pound)
4 to 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to coat bottom of pan
5 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Method

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Trim bottom of brussels sprouts, and slice each in half top to bottom. Heat oil in cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers; put sprouts cut side down in one layer in pan. Put in garlic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Cook, undisturbed, until sprouts begin to brown on bottom, and transfer to oven. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, until sprouts are quite brown and tender, about 1/2 hour.
3. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in balsamic vinegar, and serve hot or warm.

Ms B
04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
The below recipe is un.be.liev.able. I find myself literally licking the dish.

Note that this is a great "do ahead" recipe -- we usually do everything up to the point of baking, put the baking dish in the fridge, and then pull out about 15 minutes before we are ready to bake (or not, depending upon time). I also usually bake a little longer to get the cream to get really thick and extra yummy.

Creamy Brussels Sprouts Gratin with Blue Cheese

Adapted from Tender by Nigel Slater.

Ingredients
serves 4 servings, active time 10 minutes, total time 30 minutes

•1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
•1 teaspoon butter
•6 ounces blue cheese
•3/4 cup cream
•1/2 cup milk
•1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
•salt and pepper
•1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Procedures

1. Heat an oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and bring a medium pot of salted water to boil.

2. Butter a shallow baking dish and set aside.

3. Add the Brussels sprouts to the water, bring back to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes. Drain, dry well, and arrange the sprouts in the buttered baking dish. Crumble the blue cheese over the sprouts.

4. In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, milk and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

5. Pour the cream mixture over the spouts, top with Parmesan, and transfer to the oven. Bake until the cream is bubbling and the top has begun to brown, 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.

Liziz
04-11-2013, 09:58 PM
LOOOOVE them this way! I'm drooling thinking about it! This is my favorite way.

This recipe from the NY Times - my kids devour them!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Garlic
Yield 4 servings
Time About 45 minutes

Ingredients

1 pint brussels sprouts (about a pound)
4 to 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to coat bottom of pan
5 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Method

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Trim bottom of brussels sprouts, and slice each in half top to bottom. Heat oil in cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers; put sprouts cut side down in one layer in pan. Put in garlic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Cook, undisturbed, until sprouts begin to brown on bottom, and transfer to oven. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, until sprouts are quite brown and tender, about 1/2 hour.
3. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in balsamic vinegar, and serve hot or warm.

My mom recently sent me this exact recipe, raving about how amazing it was. I've just been too lazy to try it b/c just throwing them in the oven is faster! But someday I'll get my act together and try it since it gets such good reviews!

sntm
04-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Lately, I've been shredding them in the food processor (slicer attachment) and sautéing in olive oil until just softened, around 10 minutes. I also drizzle with Wegmans Basting Oil, which is just EVOO with some herbs. My boys eat it up!

Yeah, try it with bacon grease. I ate 2 cups of leftovers for lunch one day -TDF

MamaInMarch
04-25-2013, 05:35 AM
My current favorite is to mix tomato paste, salt & pepper, plenty of crushed garlic and enough olive oil to thin the paste so it will coat the Brussels sprouts nicely. Toss the trimmed, halved sprouts in mixture then roast at about 400 F til tender, edges are brown and crisped. So delicious.

But I am going to have to try the gratin and the NYT recipes...

WatchingThemGrow
04-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Where is amldaley when we need her????

s7714
04-25-2013, 05:12 PM

:yeahthat: Only I add minced raw garlic to them prior to roasting too.

YouAreTheFocus
04-25-2013, 05:19 PM
DH has been doing them on the grill, just toss them with olive oil, s & p and then put them right on the grates. Delicious! Pretty much every night we have either sprouts or asparagus done this way.

amandabea
04-26-2013, 09:14 PM
OMG - i have had dreams about these Brussels sprouts!

Tin Roof Bistro Brussels Sprouts (http://gourmetcentric.com/2011/03/tin-roof-bistro-brussels-sprouts/)

Ingredients:
1 pound Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons butter
3 Tb extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced anchovy
1-2 teaspoons whole capers
1 Tb lemon juice
1 tsp parsley chopped (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cooking method:
Prep the Brussels sprouts by removing root end and rough outer leaves. Cut in half lengthwise. Put in bowl and add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Toss Brussels sprouts in oil, then lay out on sheet pan. Roast for 20-25 minutes in oven at 350 degrees F. until lightly caramelized. When Brussels sprouts are roasted, heat up small sauté pan. Add 3 tablespoons of butter. Allow to melt. Add minced garlic and anchovy. Cook for several minutes until garlic turns a golden color. Add lemon juice, capers, parsley and salt & pepper. Toss sprouts in sauce until thoroughly coated.
It goes well served over grilled ciabatta bread. To grill the bread, brush ciabatta with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and then grill or toast the bread. Place the grilled ciabatta in bottom of a bowl and pour the Brussels sprouts over the bread.
Serves 2