PDA

View Full Version : Update: Not Chicken Pox...

niccig
04-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Update
Dr. doesn't think it's chicken pox as not presenting as that. The spots are on DS's legs and buttocks, and only a couple on torso and arms. He thinks either bites or folliculitis, but we haven't been anywhere for those. DS did go to a birthday party at the park and was running around in bare feet - but no spots on his feet or ankles. It was a foam party - a machine creates foam that you run into, but DS was covered head to toe in bubbles (not made from soap) and yet the spots are just on his legs.

So Latia, no pox party at my house.

DS is relieved that he can still have his outings this week.

Nicci

DS had a few spots on his upper thighs earlier today, now there's more down his legs and starting on his torso. A couple look like blisters and 1 looks like a white head pimple. They do not itch. DS doesn't have a fever. He's been acting fine. But it's chicken pox right?

He was vaccinated, but only 1 shot. We just had our annual check-up on Friday and the Dr. said to hold off on the 2nd shot as he's read research that it's more effective if wait until 9 or 10.

Of course yesterday he had a baseball game and went to a large birthday party - lots of kids, babies, and older adults. Yikes. Today, we went to Costco. Sorry everyone.

I'll call the Dr. tomorrow, but is there anything else I'm to do? Could it be anything else?

megs4413
04-07-2013, 11:46 PM
My DS had CP last year. The bumps were as you describe. They didn't itch! He didn't scratch once! And he got them pretty bad, even in his throat. We took him in to the doc (through a back entrance) just so he could have it documented because he hadn't had the vaccine.

If it's CP, the spots go through a pretty predictable life cycle. Also, he should get more tomorrow. As for whether or not to see the doc, I'd let the doc make that call. Hope your son feels better soon!

niccig
04-08-2013, 12:04 AM
My DS had CP last year. The bumps were as you describe. They didn't itch! He didn't scratch once! And he got them pretty bad, even in his throat. We took him in to the doc (through a back entrance) just so he could have it documented because he hadn't had the vaccine.

If it's CP, the spots go through a pretty predictable life cycle. Also, he should get more tomorrow. As for whether or not to see the doc, I'd let the doc make that call. Hope your son feels better soon!

I'll call the Dr. in the morning. He's now getting some spots on his arms, none were there earlier today.

We're both on Spring Break this week, so if it's a time to get sick, this is it. We'll just stay at home until they go away. DS is upset he'll miss out on a few day trips we had planned, but hopefully it doesn't last long. We may get to do something end of the week.

I've had chicken pox and shingles, so I'm hoping if it is CP, I'm immune.

JBaxter
04-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Connor had one shot and got about 7 spots. He had a bit of a cold/virus symptoms but wasnt until Logan broke out we realized he had chicken pox.

niccig
04-08-2013, 01:38 AM
Connor had one shot and got about 7 spots. He had a bit of a cold/virus symptoms but wasnt until Logan broke out we realized he had chicken pox.

Poor Logan, not a way to find out.

DS has about 25 spots now. Most are on his legs, but there's a couple on his stomach and 1 on each arm. He was tired yesterday, but I put that down to baseball game + very active birthday party. I'll see if he has more spots tomorrow, but I can't think what else it could be.

I remember going to a pox party as a kid. Mum put us in bathtub with infected kids. We all got chicken pox and got over it, then my Dad got it.

essnce629
04-08-2013, 02:22 AM
Ooo, ooo, ooo, where in CA are you? Are you near me? I'd love for DS2 to get chickenpox and right now is a great time!

DS1 got it when he was 5 (when I was pregnant with DS2) and it started out like how you described it. DS1 never itched the entire time (which I think was related to his eczema) and he only had a very low (99 degree) fever. We did go to the doctor to have it confirmed though. He wasn't vaccinated and was covered head to toe, probably 1000+ spots. We had a chickenpox party with several families and I know one child got it afterwards.

This has great pics of all the different stages of chickenpox:
http://www.zimbio.com/Black+pox/articles/X9GPqIcdKyg/Chicken+Pox+Images+Identify+Stages+Chicken

niccig
04-08-2013, 04:41 AM
Ooo, ooo, ooo, where in CA are you? Are you near me? I'd love for DS2 to get chickenpox and right now is a great time!

Not too far from you, in Glendale. I'll let you know if it is chicken pox. I noted where DS has the spots and I'll see if there's more tomorrow, then call the Dr.

DH and I both went to play with friends when they had chicken pox, measles, mumps etc. Mum wanted to control the timing of all 3 of us being sick, as my Dad got sick too. His mum kept him home when anyone was sick, so he didn't have any of the childhood illnesses. He was hospitalized with mumps when my sisters and I got it.

niccig
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Update in OP

egoldber
04-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Could it be molluscum warts? It looks a lot like chicken pox.

niccig
04-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Could it be molluscum warts? It looks a lot like chicken pox.

The Dr. didn't mention that. We're to head back if not getting better, so I can check then.

Just talked to another parent, who was at the party. Her DD has a rash too. So we're now thinking either something in the foam or as in same class, both exposed to a virus at same time.

essnce629
04-08-2013, 07:32 PM
I hope you figure out what it is! Do they all look like dewdrops, not scabbed over or anything?

Bummed that there won't be a local pox party!