PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Albany, NY

ellies mom
04-07-2013, 11:58 PM
DH's parent company is planning on opening a second facility in the US. There is speculation that it will be in the Albany, NY area rather than where their existing facility is in WA.

Now, obviously there is nothing set in stone and we aren't serious about moving but we were tossing the idea around at dinner tonight. I grew up in New England (Essex Jct. VT) so I love the northeast but I really don't know anything about Albany other than it snows a lot and it is humid in the summer.

Can anyone shed light on the area? Not so much the weather but the cultural and lifestyle aspects. Bonus points if you can compare it to the Pacific NW or Burlington, VT.

Thanks.

SummerBaby
04-08-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm going to PM you.

flashy09
04-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I don't know anything about Albany, but if you could live nearby in Saratoga Springs, I would be really jealous!

Momit
04-08-2013, 04:35 PM
We lived near Albany for 2 years when I was growing up and we loved it. I was in a fantastic school district (Niskayuna) and there was so much to do in the area. I remember going to some really great camps in the summer, plus hikes, skiing, Lake George, Saratoga. It was a great place for families. If you want more details you can PM me and I'll see what else I can remember.

cilantromapuche
04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
They did just get a Trafer Joes. It's close to the Hudson Valley.

sariana
04-08-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't know anything about Albany, but if you could live nearby in Saratoga Springs, I would be really jealous!

:yeahthat:

DH did some Navy training in Ballston Spa, right next to Saratoga Springs. That was ages ago (early 90s), so I can't offer any advice or anything, but it was beautiful.

dowlinal
04-08-2013, 05:12 PM
I have cousins who live in Albany, Lake George, & Saratoga. It's really pretty up there with a lot of outdoor activities. I know cost of living is much less than where I am.

gobadgers
04-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Mr husband spent a lot of his childhood in Saratoga Springs and we visit about once a year. PM me if I can answer anything (or ask him anything)!

ellies mom
04-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks everybody!

It is very unlikely that we will be moving. We don't even know where his company is going to build the next fab yet or if we will even want to move. We were just tossing the idea around last night over dinner. We like where we live. This is just the first time I've thought "huh, maybe". So, I figured it would be worth asking.