PDA

View Full Version : Could it be an ear infection?? Advice please

ckso
04-08-2013, 09:21 AM
DD2 is 21 mo old and since last Monday has had constant greenish yellow eye discharge in the corners on her eyes. Her eyes slightly pink. Tuesday it looked crusty and swollen so I called the ped who based on my phone description told us to treat it like pink eye. This is also due to the fact that DD1 was diagnosed with pink eye a week before that.

So after 2 days of the prescription eyedrops, the swelling went away but she's still getting the discharge in the corners of her eyes throughout the day. I'm still giving her the eye drop so she's on day 4 of getting drops. I also noticed she's coughing a little in the middle of the night. Usually just for a few minutes although last night for about 20. Doesn't seem to bother her and she just goes back to sleep

Anyways she has no other symptoms.

Could it be an ear infection or something else? Usually I thought pink eye clears within a day or so but I'm worried about this excessive discharge.

Do I need to wait it out? DH seems to think its improving but I guess I'm the worrywart in the family.

PZMommy
04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
My pedi says eye infections are typically secondary infections. When my little guy had goop coming out of his eyes he had an ear infection. I'd go to pedi to be sure.

BDKmom
04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
My pedi says eye infections are typically secondary infections. When my little guy had goop coming out of his eyes he had an ear infection. I'd go to pedi to be sure.

:yeahthat: DD had eye goop a couple of months ago, no other symptoms, and it was an ear infection.

ckso
04-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Also want to add I got a double ear infection 2 weeks ago (same time when DD1 got pink eye) but ear infections aren't contagious right?

Oh and around the same time my mom got shingles and DD was exposed to it not realizing she had shingles.

BDKmom
04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Also want to add I got a double ear infection 2 weeks ago (same time when DD1 got pink eye) but ear infections aren't contagious right?

Oh and around the same time my mom got shingles and DD was exposed to it not realizing she had shingles.

Just all the more reason to take her in.

Tondi G
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
I would make an appointment to see the ped. Let them check her ears. It could also be a sinus infection ... post nasal drip could be causing the cough.