PDA

View Full Version : BPA in Ball jar lids

infomama
04-08-2013, 12:31 PM
So this sucks....I have to go looking for new lids now. Especially since I love these blue jars.
www.freshpreserving.com/products/heritage_collection.aspx

www.agardenerstable.com/2012/01/20/home-canning-bpa-free/

MamaMolly
04-08-2013, 12:33 PM
I still have to think that it just being on the lid and not all in the sides (like a can) has to be a better option. And when I make jelly I leave a bit of room at the top, so it doesn't touch. Not perfect, not really even ideal, but better than a can IYKWIM.

scrooks
04-08-2013, 12:35 PM
I still have to think that it just being on the lid and not all in the sides (like a can) has to be a better option. And when I make jelly I leave a bit of room at the top, so it doesn't touch. Not perfect, not really even ideal, but better than a can IYKWIM.

I was just thinking this. We make lots of jellly and applesauce in the summer/fall. None of it actually touches the lid.

infomama
04-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Most of our stuff touches the lid. I use them for just about everything I can fit in them from leftovers to salads to green smoothies and juices. I'm going to have to look for another lid for the jars I have.

dylansnan
04-08-2013, 01:01 PM
This bummed me out, when I figured it out, a few years ago. I've used the Tattler lids mentioned in the link. I lust after the Weck jars with glass lids, but they are $$$

Melaine
04-08-2013, 01:33 PM
I can't believe they haven't changed that. Frustrating.

hellokitty
04-08-2013, 03:26 PM
How irritating! I wanted to get some of the blue ball jars, just b/c they are so pretty. However, now I am balking at it. You would think that with the demographic that preserves food, that the BPA thing is something that they would have dealt with yrs ago...

JElaineB
04-08-2013, 03:40 PM
I don't get too worked up about BPA in the lids, but we do have a whole bunch of the Tattler lids which are BPA free.

ETA: For storing leftovers we use screw-on one piece plastic lids, like these: http://www.amazon.com/Bernardin-Mason-Jar-Caps-Standard/dp/B000FRUO0Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365450084&sr=8-3&keywords=lids+for+canning+jars or these http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Regular-Mouth-Storage-Caps/dp/B0000BYC4B/ref=pd_sim_k_4. No idea if they have BPA or not, but they don't touch the food, as they sit quite a bit higher than regular lids.

marie
04-08-2013, 05:01 PM
or these http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Regular-Mouth-Storage-Caps/dp/B0000BYC4B/ref=pd_sim_k_4. No idea if they have BPA or not, but they don't touch the food, as they sit quite a bit higher than regular lids.

These are what I use and they are BPA-free. I like them better because they're easier to deal with than a lid and ring - one piece instead of two, don't rust, can go in dishwasher.

babyonway
04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
These are what I use and they are BPA-free. I like them better because they're easier to deal with than a lid and ring - one piece instead of two, don't rust, can go in dishwasher.

How do you know there is no BPA in those lids? I can't find anything :(

NM I see it :)

jam224
04-08-2013, 05:24 PM
So this sucks....I have to go looking for new lids now. Especially since I love these blue jars.
www.freshpreserving.com/products/heritage_collection.aspx

I just got some of those blue jars and LURVE them! :love-retry: I didn't know there was BPA in the lids -- the bottom of the packaging/box says "BPA Free," so I assumed it was safe. That's rather misleading and as a consumer, I would want to know that information. Still... they are soooo pretty! :loveeyes: