PDA

View Full Version : Fresno, CA - things to do

MamaInMarch
04-08-2013, 03:42 PM
We will be visiting family near Fresno this fall and I am interested in things to do with a 4 and almost 2 year old. Any suggestions? Also, I would be willing to drive a little if there are really nice things close by. We are game for just about anything so throw it at me.

Also open for really great restaurants there. We love local and ethnic food.

Thanks!!

sariana
04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Um, cow tipping?

No, seriously, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are not too far from there. As majestic as Yosemite with far fewer people.

MamaInMarch
04-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Um, cow tipping?

No, seriously, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are not too far from there. As majestic as Yosemite with far fewer people.

Ah, the smell in the air... ;) It's definitely an agricultural area! They owned vineyards for raisin production prior to selling for retirement so nice area for that but it seems like not a ton of much else.

We have always visited Sequoia and Yosemite but I was aiming for more child oriented stuff, I guess, this go around. It's also the first we will be exclusively in Fresno so no travel to more lively areas. We have always had other family in LA but they since moved to be with the Fresno folk.

Thank goodness my kids like to swim.

sariana
04-08-2013, 11:56 PM
We've been going to National Parks since the kids were babies (especially DD, who visited the Grand Canyon at 8 months), so I guess I think of those things as kid-oriented! We always do the Junior Ranger programs.

I don't know anything about Fresno except that we went to the ER there during our first trip to Sequoia. (DH had a crisis unrelated to the locale.)

Have you been to Crystal Cavern at Sequoia or Boyden Cavern in Kings Canyon? Kids usually like caves.

Mali
04-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Unless it closed, there's the Fresno zoo. There are a couple water parks (raging waters and some other newer one by 99) although even with valley temps its probably still too cold. Iirc there's an underground garden also. I think there's also a ranch that does horseback riding (by the river off of 99 as you're driving southbound into Fresno). The big park in Fresno was nice too.

Aside from that, you could always go to downtown Clovis to wander.

It's been a long time since I lived there though and haven't been down to stay with family there in a few years so someone else probably has better ideas that are more current. :)

AnnieW625
04-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Yosemite should not be busy that time of year. It could actually be as cool as the mid 70s so some of the water parks may not be open. Fresno has close to 500,000 people and is very spread out so there should be some things to do.

MamaInMarch
04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions and welcome more. The zoo should be good. We went a few years ago around the same time and it was still warm - the lemons and olives still weren't ripe. So maybe a waterpark will be an option!