PDA

View Full Version : Which iPhone should I get? 4S or 5

Tammy
04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
FWIW I've never had an iPhone before, but do have an ipad mini. My phone will be for work purposes and personal as well. On a personal note, I would use for taking pics, texts, emails, internet, possibly more once I learn about it. Work related I will use it for emails, pdf documents, internet, calendar updates and reminders, pics, etc. Recommendations? What do you like or dislike about yours? Thanks!

larig
04-08-2013, 04:01 PM
I've had both a 5 and 4s. The camera on the 5 is fantastic.

Also, since you have a mini, it would be more convenient for you to have the 5, because you'd be able to share cords between the two. (I also like the new headphones that came with the 5). I've got a mini too, and like that when I travel I can just bring one along that works for both.

In a couple of months it is rumored the 5s will be out, so I'd get a 5, just because the 4s will be 2-year-old technology soon, and apple may not support them for OS upgrades after iOS 7 or 8.

Unsolicited advice--I bought a black 5 and have a white mini. I think if I bought a 5 again, I'd get a white one. I like the metal on my white mini better.

ETA: duh, can't believe I didn't mention LTE. the 5 has LTE, the 4s doesn't.

codex57
04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
DW thinks the 4S camera is better.

That said, just for future proof purposes, I'd get the 5 just for the LTE ability alone.

mommylamb
04-08-2013, 04:27 PM
I have a 4s, which is great, but if I were buying one now, I'd get the most recent technology.

wellyes
04-08-2013, 04:33 PM
I have to be honest, I don't know what LTE is, but I have heard the 5 is great.

I have a 4s, which is great, but if I were buying one now, I'd get the most recent technology.
:yeahthat: Mine is, I think, more than 2.5 years old. I have no complaints about the 4s, but newer is better when you pass the 2+ year mark with this kind of technology.

I think cases and chargers for the next few years will be based on the 5. So for accessory convenience, the 5 will be easier, since you'll be able to use what you buy for this phone for a long time, even if you upgrade in a few years.

codex57
04-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I have to be honest, I don't know what LTE is, but I have heard the 5 is great.

Right now, LTE is 4G service. Really just means faster internet right now, but soon enough, everything is going ot be on the LTE standard. Higher quality voice, etc. But faster internet is mainly why people want LTE.

larig
04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Here's a shot by shot comparison of the iPhone 5 vs 4s camera at imore (a fantastic website, btw).
http://www.imore.com/iphone-5-vs-iphone-4s-camera

The 5 is better in their comparison, and adds the ability to take stills while taking video, etc.