PDA

View Full Version : Daily Sitter might have MRSA--issue?

infocrazy
04-08-2013, 04:06 PM
DH said our sitter came today with her hand bandaged. She had a cut that her doctor thinks might be MRSA. She is on antibiotics and it is apparently well bandaged. She injured it last week, babysat Thu and Fri. Went to the dr Sat because it swelled up, they sent a biopsy--results tomorrow.

I called ped and they said it isn't a big deal unless the kids have an open wound. They don't that I can think of, but they are active kids, including an 8 month old so everything in his mouth/diaper changes, etc....

Should I be concerned? We were bizarrely exposed to TB last year this time by our 18 yo (different) babysitter so I am just annoyed (not at sitter) at having to go through exposure to something AGAIN!!!!

AnnieW625
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
If she came and hadn't had it drained yet I would be concerned. DD2 ended up with MRSA last fall and neither DH or I ended up getting it, neither did DD2 or the DCP or other daycare kids. I would just make sure that the kids and her also always wash their hand.

ahisma
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
DS2 had MRSA the past summer. I was positive DS1 would get it. We were at the cottage so they were sleeping together - they always bathe together, play together, share clothes, etc.

DS1 never got it. If she is covering it and has decent hygiene, I probably wouldn't worry much. Most of the world carries MRSA now, so it's not like you can avoid it unfortunately.

jerigirl
04-08-2013, 04:20 PM
My concern would be if it is on her hand, is she still able to wash her hands appropriately? Theoretically, as long as the wound is covered with an impervious dressing, it should be fine. But if she is going to be getting the dressing wet or changing/handling it often to wash her hands, the chance of transmission/exposure will go way up.

MamaMolly
04-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Maybe buy a box of disposable gloves at the drugstore and ask her to use one when she changes a diaper? And put big bottles of Purell in key places around the house. IIWY I'd do everything I could to prevent, prevent, prevent.

YouAreTheFocus
04-08-2013, 05:13 PM
If it is well bandaged/sealed and she is on appropriate antibiotics then I wouldn't be too concerned. I agree with doing gloves for diaper changes. You could also pick up some Hibiclens for her to wash her hands with. DS had MRSA at 5 mos and we were advised to wash our hands and shower with this to prevent spreading (we did not use it on him--he got bleach baths). IDK if it is ok for older kids to use. It claims to kill germs on the washed area for 6 hrs.