PDA

View Full Version : Poll: how long is your hair?

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
04-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Just curious - how long is your hair?

pixie
chin length
shoulder length
shoulder blades
bra strap
waist
longer
obligatory *other*

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
04-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Right now, my hair is almost to bra strap length, but am toying with the ideas of cutting it to shoulder length. Something about turning 40 this year has me wanting a change.

Melaine
04-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Shoulder length now but growing it back out. I cut it short last summer and donated to Beautiful Lengths. I like it to my bra strap.

daniele_ut
04-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Mine is shoulder length right ow. I cut it to chin length a while ago and have been letting it grow out since. DH likes it really short but I like shoulder length better. I just turned 40 in December FWIW.

edurnemk
04-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Bra strap. I usually keep it at around that length, in layers (although I've had it at all kinds of lengths before; never longer than bra strap, though).

OT, but for some reason the IL's are really bothered that I wear it "so long" and keep making obnoxious comments about me needing a haircut :rolleye0014: Sometimes I feel like growing it out longer just to spite them :rotflmao:

ETA: I'm 34 if that matters.

ellies mom
04-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Right now, my hair is just past chin length. That is about as short as I like it. Generally, I'll let it grow until it is just above my shoulders and then I'll get it cut again.

elliput
04-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Bra-strap right now. It has been past my hips before.

crl
04-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Well, it's earlobe length which I think is longer than pixie. I voted chin.

Catherine

JBaxter
04-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Shoulder blades. I dont do shorter than shoulder length.

hellokitty
04-08-2013, 07:36 PM
I kind of, "rotate" my hair length. In the autumn, I get it cut chin length. I grow it out spring/summer, so I can tie it up, but it doesn't get longer than shoulder-blade length. I don't like hair in my face when it is hot outside, so that's why I want it to be long enough that I can tie it up when it gets warm out.

123LuckyMom
04-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I've had my hair all lengths from very long-- like below the waist, to very short, like a pixie cut. Now it's almost to bra length. It's curly now, too. My hair was super straight my whole life until I had DS. My hair was short and straight when I was pregnant with DS. As I grew it out after he was born, it grew in curly!

citymama
04-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Right now, short short short - I selected Pixie. It varies between short and chin length when I'm between haircuts. I haven't had really long hair in 15 years.

gatorsmom
04-08-2013, 08:44 PM
I got my long hair cut off a month ago. I never styled it. It always went in a pony tail. So I got it cut chin length and love it! It is so much easier and looks half-way decent now most of the time.

When I was in the salon 3 ladies gasped when they saw how much hair I was cutting off. :rotflmao: It was so worth it.

twowhat?
04-08-2013, 08:45 PM
I've had hair of all lengths - pixie to down to my waist. I love short hair but don't have time to shower in the mornings and since my hair is so coarse and thick, it requires a thorough wet-down to tame when short:)

Right now it's almost down to my bra strap...the longest I've had it in years. And it stays up in a ponytail or bun:)

ilfaith
04-08-2013, 08:52 PM
At the moment, my hair is somewhere between chin and shoulder-length. After having a chin-length bob for a while i am growing it out. Over the years I have worn my hair from pixie to below my bra-strap, but I usually go between chin and shoulder length. I feel more stylish when my hair is shorter, but I like the convenience of being able to put it up in a ponytail. Right now my hair is just long enough to tie up, but I still have some shorter layers that don't stay put and drive me nuts when I am playing tennis.

Indianamom2
04-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Well up until a couple of weeks ago, to my bra strap or maybe just a hair longer. Then I had about 5.5 inches cut off, so now it's somewhere between my shoulder blades and shoulder.

BabyBearsMom
04-08-2013, 09:24 PM
I keep my hair in a chin length bob. It looks cute (IMHO) and is really easy to style.

AnnieW625
04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
It is to my bra strap. I am growing it out to donate. It will have taken about 3 yrs. once I am finally able to do it, which I hope is at the end of summer. I have a lot of hair so when my hair starts taking 20 minutes to blow dry or 3 hrs. to completely air dry it is time to cut it. Most of the time I keep it between chin length and the top of my shoulders. The last time my hair was this long was when I got married and that time it only took just over a year to grow out. This time I had lots of pp hair loss until DD2 was 2/1/2 even when taking 1000mcg of biotin a day.

bigpassport
04-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Mid-back. It's the least maintenance length for me. I can get by with letting it air dry and it looks fine, but looks better if I flat-iron it. If I have it shoulder length, it will flip out. If it's short, I have to blow-dry and style it. So mid-back it is!

baymom
04-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Mine is pretty close to bra strap length when it is wet. It's very curly, so when it's dry, it's just a touch past my shoulders. From time to time, I've cut it to shoulder length, but then it just sort of poofs into an unruly ball around my face and is totally unflattering. I love the idea of having shorter hair so convince myself that *this* time it'll look good....but it never has. :tongue5: If my hair were thicker, I think I'd like having long hair more.

kaharris83
04-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Shoulder blades. I haven't had a haircut since Oct 2011. When I realized that after DS2 was born DH suggested I just keep growing it for Locks of Love so I am.

Pyrodjm
04-08-2013, 11:56 PM
I have dreadlocks approaching my waist.

MelissaTC
04-09-2013, 12:07 AM
I have an inverted bob and the front is chin length. My hair doesn't do long. It's too fine and becomes stringy.

anonomom
04-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Mine's currently at bra strap. I think it looks nicest about two inches past chin length, but I tend to neglect it and let it grow much longer. It's been about a year since I got a haircut and I really want one for summer.

ladysoapmaker
04-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Mine is about waist length and I need to cut about 3 to 4 inches off.

I like it long because when I don't feel like doing anythign with it I can put it into a ponytail or pull it up and use my brass hair clip to hold it. When it's pixie short I look just like my mother and any other length, I really can't do much with it. Straight, fine, thin hair that doesn't like to stay in place. The whole 80's & early 90's hair styles with lots of hairspray never stayed.

Jen

Gena
04-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Currently it's bra strap length and I'm continuing to let it grow. I have had it very long and very short in the past.

For many years I alternated between as a shoulder length and a chin-length bob. Then, about a year ago a friend and I were talking about our 40th birthdays coming up. We both remembered being told that women shouldn't have long hair after 40. So I decided right then that I was going to grow mine long again. I consider my long hair an act of rebellion. Not against my age, but against the idea that "women over 40 shouldn't do...."

lizzywednesday
04-09-2013, 10:39 AM
It's currently shoulder-length, but I like it "collar" length, so I voted "other" - what I describe as "collar-length" is lower than chin, but not as long as shoulder.

I've had everything from pixie (as a 5.5 year old) to shag (as a 6 to 7 year old) to bra-strap (age 12 and again by age 18) to "skater cut" complete with braided "rat tail" (at age 12; it was as terrible as the Google Image search says) but I like my hair best when it's around collar-to-shoulder-length.

I did the chin-length bob 10 years ago after dyeing my hair black (BIG mistake!!) so it would soften the harsh color, but as cute as it was, I find that it's too much work to keep it frizz-free, so I've let it grow.

boolady
04-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Between chin and shoulder length, with layers (but not the cheesy kind). :)

queenmama
04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
It was waist length until the day I went into labor, at which point I had her cut it to between my collarbone and bra strap. When DD was a couple months old I had her chop it all... I wouldn't say "pixie" because I kept my bangs long, but it was "boy short" at the back.

Nine months later, it is to my shoulders. I hate how quickly it grows, to be honest, because I'm really bad about keeping up with it so it looks nasty and scraggly quickly if (when!) I don't maintain it.

ETA: that delivery day chop was shorter than I remembered! I just looked at a pic, and I did donate about 11".

Lara

wendibird22
04-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Pixie all the way. As a child I rocked a Dorothy Hamill bowl cut (hey, it was the style of the times). I grew it out in college during the grunge era when it was ok to have funky growing out hair and kept it shoulder length for a year or two. Then I met an excellent stylist who told me in no uncertain terms "girl, the hair needs to go!" and I went back to pixie (with the Dixie Chicks as his inspiration). I've had a pixie of varying lengths every since. It's currently the longest it's been in quite a while with enough to flip at the back and above the ear.

Sweetsunshine
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm currently growing mine out from a slightly longer than chin length layered bob to shoulder length. My hair is coarse and wavy so it's not looking so great with the weird length of the layers. But it's finally long enough to barely put in a pony tail.

BDKmom
04-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Typically mine stays about shoulder length. Before kids I think it got down to my shoulder blades for a short time, but it looks best shoulder length or just below.

babyonway
04-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Technically my hair goes below my bra strap but my hair is super curly so when it is dry it looks just below shoulder length.

rlu
04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
About shoulder blade length now. I grow it to donate every two or so years. I donated two Christmas' ago and was expecting to donate this Christmas but it isn't growing as fast as it used to. It starts driving me nuts once it starts getting caught in the car door or stuck behind my back when I'm driving. I do nothing to my hair but wash with shampoo and conditioner with air drying. It's mostly straight with bangs. I fear I look like an old hippy but I appreciate I was given this thick beautiful brunette hair and do feel good about sharing it with those who could use it.

DrSally
04-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Bra strap. I used to cut it just below the shoulder for summer and let it grow longer for winter every year. I've been keeping it longer b/c I like the look and have been wearing it down more, rather an up all the time. I'm 41 and don't believe it looks bad to have long hair at this age,