PDA

View Full Version : How do I use Bob Books for Pre-Reading?

BayGirl2
04-08-2013, 07:22 PM
I have the whole set of Bob Books, I got them at Costco a while ago. DS and I have been reading the first 2 sets (Pre-reader and Level 1) together. They are exciting to him, he views it as our special time. I started very early and mostly read them to him but tried to encourage letter recognition and sounding out letters/words.

So now he's almost 4 and really, really interested in reading. He know the letters and can recognize most of them most of the time and knows most of their sounds. I told him we could start Bob Books again so he could learn to read them himself and he's excited. But I sat down with him again with the Pre-Reading set (letters and shapes) and I still don't know how to lead him to read them himself. If the page says "Ant" and there's an A and picture of an Ant I can help him sound it out. But then the next page says "Alligators eat apples and make applesauce" and at that point I've lost him. Am I overthinking this? There just isn't much direction on process in the parent guide on how to actually use the books effectively. Or should I skip the Pre-Reading and go to Level 1 where its more child-led?

I'm open to other ideas too. His daycare director has said he's likely to be an early reader, and I want to encourage him while he's enthusiastic. He's so into it. This morning he got all upset because DH threw out a part of the newspaper he was "reading". DH finally went and found it for him and DS had a huge grin on his face, who can argue with a 3yo who wants to read the newspaper?

codex57
04-08-2013, 07:27 PM
The BOB Books app is pretty good if you've got an iPhone or iPad.

For my kid, the big leap came with a combo of that app and the LeapFrog dvds. Then, once he got the concepts, he started blowing through the BOB books without too much help.

BayGirl2
04-08-2013, 08:28 PM
We do have the app, but he doesn't play it much anymore and with the easier settings I feel like he just uses trial and error together through it. Maybe I'll try to get him back into it.

Lynn Maslen Kertell
04-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Congrats to you and DS. It sounds like he really is ready for reading.

With Bob Books, the pre-readers are for you to read to your child. When the child is ready to read, you need to go to the next set of books. At Costco, that's Collection 1 in the blue box (which is the same as the original Set 1).

Use the books sequentially - start with Set 1, Book 1, "Mat." This book uses only the letters M, A, T and S, and your child can sound out the whole book. Book 2 adds C and D, with each book adding a few more letters until by Book 12 the whole alphabet has been introduced.

The Bob Books web site has some simple instructions for helping your child sound out words (in the 'how to use" tab), but it sounds like you have got the right idea already.

Give it a try, and please report back. I'd love to hear how you do.

Warm regards, author Lynn Maslen Kertell

squimp
04-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Oh yes, Mat. I remember him well. Yes start with Mat. We didn't have the pre-readers, those sound much more advanced than the books we learned to start reading. My DD started with Level 1 Bob, scuttled through those into the Dr. Seuss books and PD Eastman.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-09-2013, 11:37 PM
i have same questions as you..we have the same sets form costco and i often wonder how theyr'e really supposed to help with reading..especially the pre-reader set. DS adores the books though..he love reading about Sally, Seth and Tanner. my DS is also very interested in reading and asks to read the bob books but i think he's just looking at the pictures/shapes.

twowhat?
04-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Congrats to you and DS. It sounds like he really is ready for reading.

With Bob Books, the pre-readers are for you to read to your child. When the child is ready to read, you need to go to the next set of books. At Costco, that's Collection 1 in the blue box (which is the same as the original Set 1).

Use the books sequentially - start with Set 1, Book 1, "Mat." This book uses only the letters M, A, T and S, and your child can sound out the whole book. Book 2 adds C and D, with each book adding a few more letters until by Book 12 the whole alphabet has been introduced.

The Bob Books web site has some simple instructions for helping your child sound out words (in the 'how to use" tab), but it sounds like you have got the right idea already.

Give it a try, and please report back. I'd love to hear how you do.

Warm regards, author Lynn Maslen Kertell

OK, this totally helps. We also have the prereader set from Costco and I too was dumbfounded over how this was supposed to help/encourage reading. Clearly I need to go back and get the blue box! My girls are able to sound out simple words with obvious vowel sounds (like cat, mat, etc) and I need to get them something they can actually start to read to help encourage them (they get frustrated super easily and hate "working" on reading with us, as if it's a chore). Thanks!

Snow mom
04-10-2013, 09:40 AM
i have same questions as you..we have the same sets form costco and i often wonder how theyr'e really supposed to help with reading..especially the pre-reader set. DS adores the books though..he love reading about Sally, Seth and Tanner. my DS is also very interested in reading and asks to read the bob books but i think he's just looking at the pictures/shapes.

The pre readers are meant to teach letter and shape recognition, not for the child to read. We skipped over those. At the front of the reader books there are the letters featured in that book with a picture (eg moon for M) where you can discuss the sound that the letter makes. Then you use those letter sounds to sound out the words in the book. The biggest issue is that if your kid is like mine you really can't read them the book even once and need to focus on them sounding it out because its easy to memorize the bob books (especially if they've already memorized books like make way for ducklings).