PDA

View Full Version : What are your toddlers' and preschoolers' favorite things to play with inside?

ourbabygirl
04-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm in a rut with the kids, and since most of their bigger toys are packed up (play kitchen, etc.) until we move at the end of the month, and the weather is not cooperating to play outside much, I'm looking for some ideas for new things to do with the kids, or just reminders of things we used to do together before I had to worry about keeping the house immaculate for showings. :)
I'm trying to write it out on a calendar to stay motivated, and so far I've got

Magnatiles
Painting
Playing trains
Play-doh
Cutting and gluing
Coloring (though DS isn't much into this at age 2)
Dress up
Musical instruments (marching band around the house, etc.)
Pretend train ride, etc.
Hiding & finding Easter eggs around the house
Play pretend with doctor kit, etc.
Play school with mini white boards
Build towers with blocks

Other ideas? Unfortunately most of our better toys and games are packed up, but it's really hard for me to find things to do with both of the kids (2 and 4) that won't cause them to fight, and that the 2 year old will be interested in.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

wallawala
04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Magnatiles
iPad
Do a dot art http://www.creativekidstuff.com/doadotart.html
This huge balloon http://www.creativekidstuff.com/monster-balloon.html

acmom
04-08-2013, 08:56 PM
My 2 and 4 year old really like to pack bags and play pretend "trip" together (usually they pretend they are going to places we have been- Disney world, the beach, zoo).

Matchbox cars are a big hit with both.

Art and crafts stuff like foam stickers, stamps, dotters will often interest both.

They also will spend a lot of time looking at books together - especially a big bag of books from the library.

Not sure how much room you have, but they both like to play games in our basement like red light green light, freeze dance/ dance party, or just tossing a ball or balloon around.

HTH! And hope you get good weather soon so you can mix it with some outside playtime!

Tea4two
04-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Mr. Potato Head
Cash register
Legos
Floor puzzles
ipad
Candyland

maestramommy
04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
dress up clothes
play kitchen
tea sets
food trays (actually a lot of my cooking bowls and utensils keep disappearing)
books
Long ribbons (they keep canibalizing their twirly ribbons in order to wrap "bday presents" so they can play bday party:p.
MY kitchen
She also like to pack a bag or backpack with random stuff and "go on a trip."

georgiegirl
04-08-2013, 09:09 PM
My kids play with other toys WITH the magnatiles, usually cars or plastic animals.

And mine also like to pack stuff in suitcases and go on trips (it's a whole house game.) They also play "security" and empty their junk into a plastic bin and walk though a doorway, then repack their junk in the suitcase.

My kids are also highly entertained by water. They like to wash their toys in the sink or bathtub.

happymom
04-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Another one who's DD (4) plays with toys together with her magnatiles- animals, cars, and people.

Our latest discovery is Perler beads- DD can sit quietly with them for close to an hour sometimes. Definitely not going to work for your 2 year old though.

Have you tried the Melissa and Doug sticker books with the reusable stickers? There are so many different ones and DD loves them.

My DD is very into arts n crafts in general- she spends time every day coloring, cutting, gluing, putting stickers, taping, etc.

She recently got "Don't Break the Ice" and likes it, but you would need to play and that excludes your 2 yr old.

Play doh is loved around here too (more by her than by me lol).

Good luck with your move!

TxCat
04-08-2013, 09:40 PM
FP Dollhouse
sticker books (reusable and non-reusable)
Coloring
Bubbles
Bathtub as the "pool" - I let DD get naked or in a bathing suit and splash around in our big tub in the master bath.
Blocks/wee widgets
"Cooking" - a plastic bowl, a box of oatmeal or rice or pasta, spoons, measuring cups, and a cheap bottle of some spice or herb (cinnamon works well)

IansMom
04-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Play tent and tunnel
Trampoline
Train set

infomama
04-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Stomp rockets! Also..you can set up a little bowling alley in a uncarpeted hallway of you have some empty toilet paper rolls (or the like) and a bouncy ball.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-08-2013, 10:19 PM
aside from toys which they tend to get bored with after a few days, i've found the simpler the better. i brought some bubble wrap (big size) from work home one night, and they both spent a solid 30 minutes playing/stomping with it. the other day while i was cooking and dh was OOT, ig ave each kid a set of measuring spoons (on a ring)..they both spent 20 minutes running around the halls clattering and clanging them, like it was the coolest thing. at this age, doesn't have to be complicated.

as for toys, my kids play every day with Thomas trains/train table. I just got them a talking Dora dollhouse for Easter, and they both got really into it (even my DS). Duplos are also a huge hit (though messy, pieces get everywhere and it hurts like hell when you step on one! :)) oh and yesterday my kids had a blast with the Playskool ball popper.

bigpassport
04-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Mega bloks
Building forts/mountains, tunnels etc with pillows, blankets & stuffed animals
iPad
"Cooking" stirring macaroni, rice, etc.

twowhat?
04-09-2013, 10:07 AM
I agree with simple, and breaking out things that aren't "toys". That's what keeps my girls' attention (they get bored with toys REALLY easily). I save empty containers with lids and take a bunch out when they get bored - they find all sorts of things to do with them...use them as drums, sort their tinkertoy shapes into various containers, etc.

Aluminum foil is always a blast, as is plastic wrap (supervised of course for the 2yo).

Empty boxes are always a blast. Take a big one and cut a "door" in it (leave the "hinge" side attached) and it's a winner! Give them crayons and markers to decorate their "house".

Old sheets are always fun - the girls love to either spread them on the floor, or drape them over furniture to make tents, or even just fluff them on the floor, parachute style, and then go jumping into the bubble of air (fitted sheets work best for this).

Other ideas - get some mylar balloons from the dollar store and weight them so that they float but don't float up and away - loads of fun. Bouncy balls are fun too (and I allow the girls to let them bounce down the stairs so long as they are sitting at the top first). Ribbon...for some reason ribbon is always a hit. They run around tying and wrapping it around everything! They especially like the wider grosgrain ribbon and I cut it in a long enough length for them to do some good wrapping...wrapping the banister on the stairs is always a hit.

lizzywednesday
04-09-2013, 10:48 AM
DD (3 yrs old) is currently loving my old My Little Pony toys; I have 3 "adults" and 1 "baby." She loves them so much that I've bought her one for her very own.

She's also into Matchbox and other die-cast cars, her pirate hat & sword, playsilks, her Minnie Mouse dresses, and DH's lacrosse stick. (She mostly uses it as a stick-horse.)

Fridge magnets have been a big hit with her since about 2.5 yrs old, but I'd tread carefully if your 2 y/o still mouths stuff.

KLD313
04-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Stickers and a piece of paper to stick them on keeps her busy forever. She also loves to look through the kitchen cabinets. iPad and her little ride on toy.