PDA

View Full Version : Wicked with an 8 year old?

sarahsthreads
04-08-2013, 08:48 PM
This is playing locally right now, and I would *love* to see it. DH wouldn't mind seeing it, but while we were discussing dates and logistics and babysitters, DD1 heard us discussing it and said that her music teacher was talking about it today in school. Apparently a lot of her classmates have seen it and said it was really good. So DH suggested that DD1 and go.

Is it appropriate for an 8 year old? I'd assume so based on her classmates seeing it, but based on some of the movies they've also supposedly seen, I'm not sure this is a safe assumption.

It's really *not* appropriate for a nearly 5 year old, right? One who regularly sits through high school musicals, even? I'm feeling kind of funny about the idea of just taking DD1, because DD2 LOVES Wizard of Oz and is just plain into music of every sort.

I shouldn't feel guilty that DH wouldn't get to go, since he suggested it, right?

WWYD?

Sarah :)

jenmcadams
04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
We took our kids (they were 7 & 9 at the time) and they loved it (there are a few scary parts). The both sing in children's choirs, but had never seen a big musical before (just 1-2 high school ones).

Pennylane
04-08-2013, 09:00 PM
I would take an 8 yr old but no way would I take a 5 yr old.

Ann

sarahsthreads
04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm not so worried about scary parts. More, would too much of it be way over her head or too adult. (The book is not age-appropriate from what I remember, though I read it years ago.)

And I'm pretty sure she'll be OK in a big theater, though like your kids she's only been to high school musicals. She's also been behind the scenes and at rehearsals for those as well as watching the final product, so I think she's got a good handle on theater manners. :)

sarahsthreads
04-08-2013, 09:09 PM
I would take an 8 yr old but no way would I take a 5 yr old.

I know. I just feel guilty that she'd be missing out. :(

I suppose there will be other musicals sometime in the future!

jenstring95
04-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I know. I just feel guilty that she'd be missing out. :(

I suppose there will be other musicals sometime in the future!

I am sad about this too, as my 5yo DD LOVES Wizard of Oz. However, I did notice that the Wizard of Oz is coming here next spring, so maybe check and see if it is touring by you then as well? I won't let my 5yo (then 6yo) miss that!

sarahsthreads
04-08-2013, 09:39 PM
I am sad about this too, as my 5yo DD LOVES Wizard of Oz. However, I did notice that the Wizard of Oz is coming here next spring, so maybe check and see if it is touring by you then as well? I won't let my 5yo (then 6yo) miss that!

Actually, I accompanied Wizard of Oz in the fall, so the girls both have seen it. DD1 was in it for one performance, even. In the version we did, the witch shrinks rather than melts, so they needed a "mini witch" and used some of the production staff's kids for that little tiny walk-on role for each show. She had a blast and I have fabulous pictures of her all done up in green makeup. :)

jenstring95
04-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Actually, I accompanied Wizard of Oz in the fall, so the girls both have seen it. DD1 was in it for one performance, even. In the version we did, the witch shrinks rather than melts, so they needed a "mini witch" and used some of the production staff's kids for that little tiny walk-on role for each show. She had a blast and I have fabulous pictures of her all done up in green makeup. :)

That is fantastic!!!! What a great experience!

billysmommy
04-08-2013, 10:27 PM
I'm torn. It would be fun to take both girls and also a great outing for just you and Dd1!
I would've had no problem taking either of my boys at 5 to see it.

I've been taking Ds1 to shows since he was 4. His first was Wizard of Oz at a community theater. He sat spellbound for 2+ hours and almost cried at intermission because he thought it was over and he wanted to know the end.
We did bigger musicals - Little Mermaid, Mary Poppins and Shrek when he was 5-6 and he loved them both. Ds2 started going at 5 and has always thoroughly enjoyed them also. This year we've done Wizard of Oz (Wheelock Family Theater) and The Grinch and will be going to Pippi Longstocking and Peter Pan in the next 2 months.

MelissaTC
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Took M at 9 and he loved it. He thought it was the best thing ever and appreciated it so much.

citymama
04-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Take your 8 year old and have your 5 yr old go on a special outing with dad!

randomkid
04-09-2013, 01:10 AM
I posted this same question recently - here's the thread: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=454733

I ended up taking my 8yo DD and she absolutely LOVED it! She says she was not scared (although at one point she was pushing up against me and grabbing onto my arm, but it was brief - lol!) and, surprisingly, caught on to some of the more adult themes that I thought she would not understand at all. Not inappropriate themes, but things that I thought would be over her head (social issues). I don't want to say what specifically because I don't want to spoil anything if you haven't seen it.

DD sat through Wicked much better than any other show I have taken her to see, including Mary Poppins. She loved it so much that she begged me to pay for the backstage tour that they offered as a fundraiser for Broadway Cares. Like a sucker, I did it, but it was really cool! The cast member taking payment was nice enough to give me a discount for DD or I would have skipped it. We were able to meet many of the principle players and the tour was given by the actor who played the Wizard. They were out of costume, but we were able to see all the costumes, including Glinda's beautiful gown. He also told us some trivia facts about the play, like how Elphaba's name came to be. DD and I truly enjoyed it!

I agree with PP - take your 8yo and make it a special mother-daughter day. Have DH do something special with your 5yo on that day.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to download the soundtrack!

sarahsthreads
04-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks all!

I'm waiting on my mom to decide if she wants to come with us too - she's got until the end of today - and then I'm buying us some tickets! :)

I'm sure I'll still feel a bit guilty that DH and DD2 aren't going to see it, but it toured here a couple of years ago - I'm sure it will be back again eventually.

Now I have to decide if I'm going with the more affordable seats that are up a million stairs or the slightly more expensive but not that much closer seats on the main floor. If only I'd thought of this a week ago, there might have been Loge seats left!