PDA

View Full Version : preschoolers, husbands and potty language

♥ms.pacman♥
04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
lately every other thing out of DS's mouth is "poopie" this or that. I'll ask him a question (e.g. "What is in there?") and he'll reply, "It's POOPIE!!" and lots of giggles, like it's the funniest thing ever. THought he was getting it from school, but then over the weekend I overheard DH with the kids, and apparently DH encourages it and sometimes even starts the whole "poop" talk going (jokes about this or that being poop, fart noises, whatnot). Um the man will be 35 this year, and he thinks it's a great idea to always be talking about poop/farting with the 3yo. Am i the only one or is this a common husband thing to do? LOL. i wouldnt' mind so much, except i think sometimes DS gets into the whole "She's a poopy-head!" and doesn't realize how it's not nice/appropriate to say, etc.

twowhat?
04-08-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm guilty of what your DH does :bag. The girls just think it's SO FUNNY so I can't help but make the fart noises along with them to make them laugh. Sigh!!! But maybe this way I'll get it out of their systems (no pun intended) by the time they start school? One can hope...ours haven't used potty language in reference to anyone (yet) but if they did we would definitely have a talk about how that isn't nice.

eta: Oh and DH totally does this too. He'll actually go up to them and fart on them just to get a reaction. Yeah, I do think that crosses the "gross" line but I can sort of get why he does it because seeing the reaction is just too funny....my brother used to fart on me when we were growing up. DH talks about pooping with them too...he taught them "Drop the big brown bomb" and "Hershey highway" and "Take the Browns to the Super Bowl"...Boys...though I will admit nothing is funnier than seeing DD walk out of the bathroom and proudly exclaim "I just dropped the big brown bomb!"

wellyes
04-08-2013, 11:02 PM
I have made similar --err-- off color jokes with my kids. Hopefully they will be ok! But, the joker parent has to also enforce boundaries .... We don't talk about that at the dinner table, we're done talking about that, never use those words about a person because that is unkind, etc,

PZMommy
04-08-2013, 11:26 PM
My almost 4 yr old favorite words are poopie and buttcrack. He will use both as often as he can, and thinks it is hysterical. We made a rule, that those are words he can only say in the bathroom. Sometimes he will run in the bathroom and scream those words over and over again just to be silly.

babyonway
04-08-2013, 11:44 PM
So can I blame ms.pacman's DH, welleyes and twowhat? for poopie being my DDs favorite word? :hysterical:

Seriously my DD says it all the time and she must of learned it from ms.pacman's, welleyes and twowhat?'s children while at school cause I don't say the word at all and no adult caregivers around her do either.

LOL

twowhat?
04-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Seriously my DD says it all the time and she must of learned it from ms.pacman's, welleyes and twowhat?'s children while at school cause I don't say the word at all and no adult caregivers around her do either.

LOL

:hysterical: That is awesome.

California
04-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Speaking of bodily functions... Last Friday DD asked me a lot of questions about how boys use the potty. She dressed up in her doctor outfit and when DH got home from work she ran up to him at the front door and yelled, "I know all about your penis!"
DH: "Ummm.. OK."
DD: "You can ask me any questions because I am a penis expert."

I just about died laughing at the extremely uncomfortable but sweet look on DH's face. But really- do you warn preschool teachers about this stuff? "Don't be surprised if Suzie brings up penises today. She now considers herself an expert on why boys pee standing up. Signed, Suzie's proud mom"

crl
04-09-2013, 01:21 AM
Speaking of bodily functions... Last Friday DD asked me a lot of questions about how boys use the potty. She dressed up in her doctor outfit and when DH got home from work she ran up to him at the front door and yelled, "I know all about your penis!"

I just about died laughing at the extremely uncomfortable but sweet look on DH's face. But really- do you warn preschool teachers about this stuff? "Don't be surprised if Suzie brings up penises today. She now considers herself an expert on why boys pee standing up. Signed, Suzie's proud mom"

:rotflmao: that is awesome.

Catherine

Mopey
04-09-2013, 09:21 AM
All I can add in is that my very sophisticated, worldly Dad is completely reduced to shoulder-shaking-tears-down-the-face-silent-laughter when anything bathroom comes up. I have a feeling my hubby will not shy from this kind of joking :thumbsup: :bag

lizzywednesday
04-09-2013, 09:33 AM
No, you just have to remember that the bread-and-butter of comedy is d!ck and fart jokes:

It goes back to something my grandmother told me when I was a kid. "Holden," she said "The big bucks are in dick and fart jokes." She was a church-goer. (from Kevin Smith's Chasing Amy)

Also, my DH will be 40 next year & he's notorious for fart jokes. Mostly on his Twitter feed. Some of which have been re-tweeted by ... Kevin Smith.

We've also both giggled when DD is on the potty & she farts. DH even told her, "remember, kid, fart = funny."

So, what I guess I'm saying is, the more you fight it, the more it becomes "forbidden fruit" ... and the more they'll do it in front of you. Yes, it's inappropriate, but giving an over-the-top shocked reaction makes it more fun to do.

wellyes
04-09-2013, 09:41 AM
So can I blame ms.pacman's DH, welleyes and twowhat? for poopie being my DDs favorite word? :hysterical:

LOL
Whooops sorry bout that! :ROTFLMAO:

hellokitty
04-09-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't really have any advice. DH will be 42 soon, he and all 3 boys are all about the potty talk and humor. DS2 and DS3's favorite insult to yell at anyone in the family if they get mad at them is, "Poophead!"

Momit
04-09-2013, 09:54 AM
What is it about preschoolers and poop?! We had a great day at the zoo yesterday but the only thing DS remembers is that an elephant pooped right in front of us. Awesome! I had to text DH right away to tell him - just glad DS wanted me to do that instead of take a picture of the elephant during her private moment.

twowhat?
04-09-2013, 09:56 AM
What is it about preschoolers and poop?! We had a great day at the zoo yesterday but the only thing DS remembers is that an elephant pooped right in front of us. Awesome! I had to text DH right away to tell him - just glad DS wanted me to do that instead of take a picture of the elephant during her private moment.

LOLOL - this is exactly what the girls remember about our zoo trips! The pigs pooped, the rhino peed (yes, we were lucky to get to see that, and it was...spectacular...). And at the arboretum, Vixen (the reindeer, at Christmastime) peed in her hay.

123LuckyMom
04-09-2013, 11:28 AM

Oh, that's priceless!!! We have some potty talk around here, but we highly discourage it, DH included. We do, however, encourage bragging about actual poop as a way to encourage potty usage. Our favorite expression is, "My poop was as big as Daddy's head!" DH started it.

hillview
04-09-2013, 12:01 PM
yeah DH and the 2 boys here find this HILARIOUS. It isn't allowed at the table. I swear DH becomes 5 years old when discussing poop, fart etc

babyonway
04-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Whooops sorry bout that! :ROTFLMAO:

Apology accepted LOL :wink2:

BabbyO
04-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Ummm...my business is wastewater, no getting away from it. My favorite joke is that I deal with other peoples *poop* all day long!

All in all, I think it is fairly common. We try to keep it away from the table and at home mostly (not around MIL who might just faint)

FWIW my 19 mo old seems to have a new word every day now and he repeats is constantly. "Pee pee" was his word one day last week, and DH nearly wet himself laughing when he changed Peanut and Peanut illustrated what his "Pee pee" was!