PDA

View Full Version : S/O of organic co-op thread...how can I get creative preparing and cooking veggies?

jerseygirl07067
04-09-2013, 12:12 AM
I have lost my creativity in this area due to picky eating kids and a picky eating spouse. We do eat a few veggies, my kids will actually eat kale chips that I bake in the oven, DH will eat cooked spinach with garlic and potato, and the kids will eat peas, beans, carrots. But that's it. So I've just succumbed to eating what we will all eat and I am done with that.

I want to rediscover veggies again as I like a lot of them, I just lack creativity. I like them fresh mostly, but I need a "Cooking with Veggies" cookbook, lol...

MelissaTC
04-09-2013, 12:42 AM
The CSA I use includes a newsletter with recipes especially for those less common veggies. I also google the ingredient and look for easy, basic recipes. This is how DH and I fell in love with bok choy.

WatchingThemGrow
04-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Could you do a "homework assignment" and create/print/bind a veggie cookbook with several recipes you'd like to try for each veggie? I bet we could come up with a list of things to look up and spam you with recipes.

anonomom
04-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Do you have How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman? It has a whole section on veggies with tons of ideas, all organized alphabetically by vegetable. It's the first thing I turn to when my produce box comes with something unfamiliar.

jerseygirl07067
04-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Do you have How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman? It has a whole section on veggies with tons of ideas, all organized alphabetically by vegetable. It's the first thing I turn to when my produce box comes with something unfamiliar.

This sounds like something I am looking for, and of course googling as the PP mentioned. Are the recipes fairly simple? The easier the recipe, the more likely I will follow through and not let the veggies go bad out of laziness.:p Right now I just eat everything raw because I am too lazy to be creative. Or maybe add a bit of onion and sprinkled blue cheese. That seems to make any green leafy veggie taste good to me!