PDA

View Full Version : Update: Freeeedoooommmm....13 days

Twoboos
04-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Update: Made it. She left this morning, did not extend the trip despite much begging. DD2 was hysterically crying and asking her to move here (which would make me hysterically cry). I managed not to rip her head off about anything. And considering my usual snarky attitude, this is seriously a miracle.

Thank you for all the support - you all kept me laughing!!

That's how long MIL will be with us. Starting tonight.

Bonus: DH told me that this is a "short visit" and in the future visits will be 1-2 MONTHS. :47: (This is some kind of compromise to keep her from moving here, even though she should move by SIL but SIL will not pay attention to her until she needs MIL for something.)

And next week is school vaca. And DH is only taking off 1.5 days in all this. (I get it, he's really busy and totally stressed, but REALLY?!)

:54:

TwinFoxes
04-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Just make sure you have bail money. ;)

I love my MIL, but 13 days is just crazy. 1-2 months is cruel and unusual punishment.

elephantmeg
04-09-2013, 07:56 AM
holy cow. Good luck and wow 1-2 months???

123LuckyMom
04-09-2013, 09:20 AM
I think you guys need to look into long-term hotels nearby or charge rent! There is no way that I could live with my OWN mother for one to two months let alone a MIL (I don't have one since DH's parents are both deceased.) I feel for you!

crl
04-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I think you guys need to look into long-term hotels nearby or charge rent! There is no way that I could live with my OWN mother for one to two months let alone a MIL (I don't have one since DH's parents are both deceased.) I feel for you!

:yeahthat: MY parents have never stayed for more than ten days. Thirteen with an in-law? Would kill me. What kind of compromise is one to two months? My in-laws don't stay with us at all. I'd be putting the nearest furnished studio for rent on speed dial.

Catherine

Ms B
04-09-2013, 09:51 AM
I enforce a strict 96 hour rule for both my parents and the ILs. Seriously, that is the only way I can handle any/all of them. (Of course, the ILs response to that has been to visit. every. month. . . but with making DH deal with most of their issues so that I can "fold the laundry", "run errands", and "organize the closets", he has started to realize that every other month might be often enough).

You have my greatest sympathies (along with a giant twisty straw and a case of wine to get you through)!

bigpassport
04-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Wow. Maybe you'll have some friends who are "sick" or need "help" to get you out of the house? Is she crafty, can you do a home improvement project to take up some time?

wellyes
04-09-2013, 10:07 AM
:yeahthat:Holy crap, 1-2 months????

The bit about SIL not paying attention to her, that really implies you will be responsible for entertaining her. Yikes.

mommylamb
04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
My MIL usually stays with us 1 or 2 times a year for 2 weeks each time. She's a nice woman but by the end of her stay I am pulling my hair out. FTR, so is DH, and then he feels super guilty about feeling that way when she goes. I don't know how I would handle a 2-3 month stay. That sounds like hell.

lizzywednesday
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
You're a much better person than me and I genuinely LIKE my MIL. She's a great person, but I don't think we'd last longer than a week together.

I would walk out (and take DD with me) if I had to host the ILs for 2 months.

hellokitty
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Ugh, good luck with that! I'd stock up your alcohol cabinet. Are your in laws from out I'd the country? I can't imagine a shot visit being 2 wks and other visits lasting 1-2 mo. My grandparents did it, but they were overseas and I look back now and give my mom a lot of credit for keeping her composure during those visits.

elizabethkott
04-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Oh HELL no.
I don't know where you live, but you can come stay with me.
I'll make up the guest bed as soon as I get home.
Any way you can schedule a LOT of appointments for yourself, so MIL can watch the kids for you? You know, eye doctor... dentist... gyn... endo... mamogram... and wouldn't you know it? ALL these appointments are like 45 minutes away! And holy cow, can you believe that after you got there ON TIME, they made you WAIT for TWO HOURS before even moving you into the exam room?
Holy crapsnacks. I'm so sorry.

crayonblue
04-09-2013, 11:07 AM
I feel your pain. In-laws have been with us since January. We love them but I WANT MY HOUSE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And my life. They bought a retirement home near us so they should be closing any day. ANY DAY NOW!!!!!!!!

edurnemk
04-09-2013, 11:33 AM
1-2 months is cruel and unusual punishment.

:yeahthat: I'd like to see your DH stay 1-2 months with your parents without a break (of course they have it easy, they don't have to entertain the guests 24/7)

Seriously, I'd look into a rental for the longer visits. Even my own parents stay in a hotel or rental when visiting. And then I'd arrange for MIL to have lots of alone time with the kids (if you trust her) and use that time to run errands, go to the gym, have coffee with a friend... anything to stay sane.

I feel your pain. In-laws have been with us since January. We love them but I WANT MY HOUSE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And my life. They bought a retirement home near us so they should be closing any day. ANY DAY NOW!!!!!!!!

OMG, since January?! I would've lost my mind by now.

crayonblue
04-09-2013, 11:43 AM
OMG, since January?! I would've lost my mind by now.

I have. I'm completely looney now. I'm not kidding.

Twoboos
04-09-2013, 11:53 AM
OMG, you all have me dying laughing - I guess it is as bad as I thought!! :ROTFLMAO: :hysterical: (Except you, crayonblue. I feel sooo bad for you - and that's no joke. Hopefully your house will be yours again VERY soon.) She just comes from the opposite coast, so while it's a "long" way it's not international. And she's "afraid" to drive here because there are so many trees, and she can't see where she's going. yep. So she has to stay with us. That's the point of the visit, right, to spend as much time as possible with the kids?!?!

I have been telling my friends none of them look good and will obviously need help in the next few weeks. With something. Like drinking a bottle of wine or testing margaritas.

I have plans for each day this week - some made before MIL decided to come, and I refuse to change them. And some I am afraid she will ask if she can "come along for the ride." <eyeroll>

I will try to take full advantage of her being here. And we'd better have at least one date night.

BTW, elizabethknott - I am going to have to get "crapsnacks" into my vocabulary asap. :ROTFLMAO:

queenmama
04-09-2013, 11:59 AM
I love my MIL and she is super sweet but she's also from a very passive-aggressive generation, same as my "lovely" mother. I would commit matricide if either of them stayed with us longer than a couple days, and even then I would be "herbally destressing" each night in my room.

ETA: I had to clarify about my mom. She's horrible and there's not one lovely attribute that comes to mind. Oh, wait... Nope.

Lara

KLD313
04-09-2013, 12:02 PM
This is why I don't have guest rooms!

edurnemk
04-09-2013, 12:05 PM

:yeahthat: When we were about to move to Chicago, I came back from an apartment hunting trip and when telling the IL's about the apt we liked I said "oh, and the location is awesome, there's 3 hotels in a 4 block radius so you can be really close when you come visit" :rotflmao: Left no room for misunderstandings there! SIl had already threatened to com stay for several WEEKS, that put a stop to it, LOL.

Philly Mom
04-09-2013, 12:08 PM
My ILs always come for that time+. They are coming from overseas. Our guest room is on a separate floor than the main bedrooms... but it gets old, and I LOVE my ILs. They are helpful. FIL will work in the garden and other handy projects. MIL does our laundry. Neither puts dishes away though. They also are great help with DD so we get out more. What gets both DH and I through is that we both work FT and they also tend to spend a couple days traveling somewhere (I think Vegas possibly on their next trip or a four-peat trip to Pidgeon Forge). Good luck. I will be thinking of you and all the many things you will need to "take care" of over the 2 weeks.

niccig
04-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Is there a VRBO rental near you? A friend has her parents stay for 1 month and they rent a studio apartment through VRBO. Even if you MIL doesn't drive, I would be willing to go pick her up in the morning say 10am and drop her off after dinner...6pm. If it's close to places where she can walk, she can find things to occupy herself too.

1-2 months..heck no. And it sounded like you were TOLD she would be there for 1-2 months and not asked. Wouldn't fly in my house.

BabbyO
04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
I LIKE my MIL and LOVE my mom, but I couldn't handle 13 days with either of them. I'm definitely re-thinking having the boys share a room when they get older so that Peanut's room can be a spare bedroom again...I think that kid deserves a room. :)

georgiegirl
04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
I've been there. Up until a month ago, my ILs lived in Europe and would come here for 3-5 weeks at a time. It felt like I had PMS 24 hours a day the entire time there where here. I usually drank lots of wine, but that didn't even cut it by the end.

No advice other than go along with YOUR everyday life and don't feel guilty. I felt much better when I just did my own thing.

crayonblue
04-09-2013, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=georgiegirl
No advice other than go along with YOUR everyday life and don't feel guilty. I felt much better when I just did my own thing.[/QUOTE]

Totally this. In-laws stay up till 1am or so everyday. DD3 gets up with the sun at full speed. She screams, bangs things, runs around. They know what time she gets up so I don't worry one bit if she is being too loud or waking them up. If she does, they can go to bed earlier.

MMMommy
04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Bonus: DH told me that this is a "short visit" and in the future visits will be 1-2 MONTHS.

:angry-smiley-005: This icon would be me at just the thought of that!

I'm so sorry...

Mopey
04-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Lots of sympathy to you OP!!!:hug: And I agree with all the PP's ideas.

But elizabethkott wins for "crapsnacks"!!!!! My new fave word (plus you sound a lot like one of my fave friends :))

hellokitty
04-09-2013, 03:19 PM

I know it sounds kind of evil, but if we move, I told DH I don't think we should have a designated guest room, just for this very reason. I don't want either sets of parents staying at our place, even a wknd visit would throw me over the edge. Why make it too comfortable and convenient for ppl to just visit for extended overnight stays, you know?

Kira's Mommy
04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
I would commit matricide

This. OP, big :hug: to you!

In all seriousness, it'll be very hard, but you can do it. Try to look at the bright side of things. She could live next door from you and visit every single day. In a way, you're one lucky gal!

I just remind myself constantly to not take anything she says personally, just nod, smile, agree. She WILL leave very soon.

I also treat myself with a little prize (a box of chocolates, a new t-shirt) for "surviving" 3 days with her, 7 days, 10 days. It adds an element of fun into a gloomy situation.

You can do it! And I'm very sorry...:hug:

Twoboos
04-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I also treat myself with a little prize (a box of chocolates, a new t-shirt) for "surviving" 3 days with her, 7 days, 10 days. It adds an element of fun into a gloomy situation.

I really like this idea! I am going to try it.

And, I know it could be worse (it could be the month-long visit!). I am trying to keep my chin up. I will certainly have lots of stories to share. ;)

trales
04-09-2013, 10:00 PM
What are their skills . . . Can they sew, make new curtains, can they paint, pick a room, can they rake, this is a good time of year for yard clean up. Can they fetch, send them into the yard with the kids while you "clean the bathtub for 2 hours".

Twoboos
04-09-2013, 10:16 PM
What are their skills . . . Can they sew, make new curtains, can they paint, pick a room, can they rake, this is a good time of year for yard clean up. Can they fetch, send them into the yard with the kids while you "clean the bathtub for 2 hours".

Well, she sent an "old" sewing machine ahead. So maybe I'll get curtains out of it. At least the girls will get their GS badges sewn on, and she'll probably make them some sundresses.

She is also very good at holding down the couch. Yup, that thing will not escape our house as long as she's here.

edurnemk
04-10-2013, 11:08 AM
She is also very good at holding down the couch. Yup, that thing will not escape our house as long as she's here.

Looks like our MILs share the same skills :hysterical:

minnie-zb
04-10-2013, 11:31 AM
If either of my MIL's (I have two, my husband's parents are divorced) wanted to stay for 1-2 months I would probably start shopping divorce attorneys.

Kidding....sort of....

Good luck -- you are already down one day!

hellokitty
04-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Well, she sent an "old" sewing machine ahead. So maybe I'll get curtains out of it. At least the girls will get their GS badges sewn on, and she'll probably make them some sundresses.

Oh gosh, my mil's not only good at holding down the couch, it's not usual for mil and fil to lay down and nap on our couch during mere two hr visits. She won't even get herself a glass of water. She asked me for a glass of water one time and my dh told her to help herself, and she said, "I don't know where your cups are." My dh (who is a HUGE mama's boy and normally will always defend and make excuses for her, even when she is being unreasonable) replied, "You have been to our house so many times (they only live an hr away), and you don't know where we keep our cups?" Mil didn't respond and no, it's not like I keep my glasses in a secret hiding place or any place that she can't reach. They are in the cabinet right next to the sink, where your average person would look first, and my mil has seen me get them out of there for the 10 yrs that we have lived at this house, so yeah, it's kind of ridiculous how much she expects to be doted on. And yes, she is able bodied.

At least you will get patches maybe sewn on, hopefully! If I were you I'd gush to her about how much the girls would love it if grandma did it for them. My mil is an ex-seamstress and she refuses to help me sew my kids cub scout patches on or even to help hem any pants for me. HOWEVER, if either of her sons need their pants or suits altered she is very eager to do it. My sil noticed this as well. My mil could have done very simple hem alterations for my bridesmaids and flower girl, but refused to do them, while whining that she wished she could help out with the wedding (she did nothing but be a PITA). I don't know what it is with some ppl being so kind and helpful, while other ppl can be so selfish and are incapable of helping out, just to be nice. My mil is of the latter sort. Yet, she feels that everyone should help her (and most ppl do, b/c she likes to play a victim and act pitiful, but after she abuses this too many times, ppl don't make themselves accessible to her anymore). Her attitude just irritates me. I could not have a family member like that stay at my house that long, good luck with your mil. I would put her to work, even if she wants to sit on the couch. Give her a basket of laundry to fold and other things she can do from the couch! Oh and yeah, my mil is also too scared to drive to our house. Even my dh doesn't understand it, she lives close to the freeway you get on to get to our house, you change to one more freeway and we are less than a mile from the freeway exit, it is so easy my kids know the route. So, this is another excuse she has for not being able to help out with anything.

teresah00
04-14-2013, 01:40 PM
How are you surviving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twoboos
04-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for checking in! I have been trying to stay off BBB if possible so MIL doesn't catch me.

Everyone is still alive. On the bright side she's stayed with the girls a couple of times so I could do other things, and DH and I had a date night last night. :cheerleader1:

But she's just odd. She's just in my way/underfoot/following me around/asking where I am if I'm out of the room. (EX: "Where's Twoboos?! Miss Twoboos are you in the laundry room or at your station (the computer)." Me: "I'm in the bathroom, do you need something?" MIL: "No, just wondering if you left me all alone!" WTF, I can be out of your sight without checking in!!! And then if I say, "I'm going to the bathroom" to avoid the whole "Where is TB?" thing, I get 'Oh you don't have to tell me everything!" Whuck?

She follows me around the kitchen as I'm cooking. I gave up trying to dodge her, so I just turn around and bump into her/step on her feet. Well, get out of my way if you don't want a collision! Feel free to sit at the island 2 feet away, or the table - but stop being underfoot!!

When are we doing laundry? Where are your mixing bowls? How does this work? Do you need to change before you go out? Can I wear jeans - well good because it's all I have. Where do you want this piece of paper? Is this important? When are we going to Michael's or Joann's? What are we having for dinner? Where should I put this? Who does this belong to? Where are you Twoboooooos.... (Bonus: on top of all this, she talks to herself.)

OMG - the questions and haunting. It's like having a 3yo again.

There is talk of her extending her stay to be here for DD2's first communion on the 27th. (Bad planning to not bring that date up in the first place.) DD2 really REALLY wants her to stay. :47:

I think I have to go run an errand now. :wink2:

123LuckyMom
04-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Oh, you poor woman!!! You deserve a medal!

queenmama
04-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Do you have any sedatives you can slip into her morning coffee?

Lara

hellokitty
04-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Oh man. I understand exactly what you mean by being underfoot and hovering. My mil is very similar, and I often have to suggest that she takes the kids outside to play or something, just so I don't feel smothered. Really, so she is going to stay until the 27th??? She didn't buy her ticket home and left it open ended? That REALLY sucks. I'd be telling dh that if his mom stays extra, he needs to take those days off from work to babysit his mom.

teresah00
04-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Gah sounds like you are handling it as good as can be expected.
Enjoy all those errands!!

abh5e8
04-14-2013, 10:01 PM
yikes! i hope its going well.

(dh just told me tonight his parents decided to come not once, but twice during the last 2 weeks of may, to "stay for a few days" as they drive to see BIL and SIL. normally i dont' mind....but as this baby is due June 4, my babies have all come 2 weeks early AND i'm planning a hb, i'm not thrilled, to say the least).

Ms B
04-15-2013, 09:52 AM
She follows me around the kitchen as I'm cooking. I gave up trying to dodge her, so I just turn around and bump into her/step on her feet. Well, get out of my way if you don't want a collision! Feel free to sit at the island 2 feet away, or the table - but stop being underfoot!!

This is why we put the spare (fixed) gate up over Thanksgiving between the family room and the kitchen -- "to keep The Biscuit in the family room" . . . with the "surprising" side effect that it kept MIL in there too! :wink2:

BunnyBee
04-15-2013, 10:24 AM
This is why we put the spare (fixed) gate up over Thanksgiving between the family room and the kitchen -- "to keep The Biscuit in the family room" . . . with the "surprising" side effect that it kept MIL in there too! :wink2:

This made me snort coffee! :rotflmao:

Could you create a MIL Learning Tower? Keep her corralled in the kitchen.

You should hide in random places. Just to mix things up. I would've been insane at about 6 hours in.

trales
04-15-2013, 12:00 PM
My father does that to my husband. Follows him around like a lost puppy.

Good for you for staying nice and not poisoning her.

mytwosons
04-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Twoboos, you are a saint.

She didn't buy her ticket home and left it open ended? That REALLY sucks.

This reminded me of one of my grandmother's visits when I was young. The airline she flew went on strike after she arrived and she decided to just wait out the strike instead of rebooking. (I don't know the details, but it wasn't possible without a significant cost that she didn't want to pay.) After close to an extra week, my dad came home with a full fare ticket ($$$) for her to fly home the very next morning. LOL.

MamaMolly
04-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I'd give her little tasks to occupy her. Like have her sit at the counter ;) and chop up veggies. You can always pop it into the freezer for later.

hellokitty
04-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Twoboos, you are a saint.

This reminded me of one of my grandmother's visits when I was young. The airline she flew went on strike after she arrived and she decided to just wait out the strike instead of rebooking. (I don't know the details, but it wasn't possible without a significant cost that she didn't want to pay.) After close to an extra week, my dad came home with a full fare ticket ($$$) for her to fly home the very next morning. LOL.

Omg, lol. It's worth a full price ticket, right?

Oh and I laughed do hard about the pp who posted about the baby gate. Old ppl can never figure those things out. No could totally see how that would work!

Twoboos
04-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Update: One week in.

I have now found a linen closet and a cabinet rearranged. Probably to "tidy" them up.

Please stop following me around and babbling and trying to neaten things and asking me when I'm doing laundry so you can add in *2* things. Good God.

BunnyBee
04-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Can tomorrow be "Take Your Mother to Work Day"?

KLD313
04-17-2013, 08:17 PM
My friend used to hide a bottle of liquor under the bathroom sink when her inlaws visited...just sayin'.

elizabethkott
04-18-2013, 12:19 PM

I have now found a linen closet and a cabinet rearranged. Probably to "tidy" them up.

Please stop following me around and babbling and trying to neaten things and asking me when I'm doing laundry so you can add in *2* things. Good God.

GAH! This would drive me NUTS. I like my stuff the way I like my stuff, damnit!
Can you give her a "job" like packing up winter clothes and putting out the warmer weather stuff? (I hate doing that... I'd love to pawn that job off on ANYONE!)
Keep on coping... You're a freakin' SAINT.
BTW, I think your "check engine" light just came on. And wouldn't you know it - the shop doesn't have any loaners. Too bad you have to spend the day at the mechanic, waiting for the car. THANK GOD MIL is here to watch the kids for the day! She's just SUPER!!!

hellokitty
04-18-2013, 12:38 PM
My friend used to hide a bottle of liquor under the bathroom sink when her inlaws visited...just sayin'.

I like this tip!

Twoboos, hoping that you are hanging in there. I think you should make a hair appt for yourself, just to get away and leave her with the kids. Thankfully the weekend is almost here, I hope that means your dh will be around to spend time with his mother.

Ms B
04-18-2013, 01:46 PM

I so get you! If it is any consolation, my ILs drop tomorrow afternoon, so I will be having just as much fun as you this weekend.

On the bright side, passive-aggressive MIL let me know that they are bringing their own towels this time. Because, y'know, I am the abnormal one for not requiring a clean bath towel, a clean hand towel, and two clean washcloths every day and then decoratively draping them over every surface in the laundry room so that they can be washed THAT DAY. :shrug:

Seriously, ILs, if you need a new bath towel to dry off with daily, then you need to learn how to shower properly.

lizzywednesday
04-18-2013, 02:08 PM

I would freak out.

Yes, I fully admit that I am no housekeeper, but when I can't find things because someone else "tidied," I go out of my mind insane.

It's probably some form of compulsive disorder, related to OCD, but without the "obsessive" part.

Also, you are a saint.

tabegle
04-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Twoboos, you are a saint! I couldn't imagine that long with my in-laws. I am slowly prepping for their next visit. I installed exterior locking doors on my bedroom door to keep snooping to a minimum.

And everyone else, I love your ideas. Vodka in the master bathroom and keeping the babygates around to reduce "foot traffic" will be implemented next month!

Twoboos
04-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Update in OP! Freeeeedoooommmm!!!

georgiegirl
04-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Time to celebrate!!! Glad you survived. I was always in a fantastic mood when my ILs left after a long stay.

hellokitty
04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Update in OP! Freeeeedoooommmm!!!

Thank goodness! I think your DH owe's you at least a day to yourself this upcoming wknd after this past trial!

elizabethkott
04-23-2013, 10:03 AM
HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!
Girl, you need the. whole. dang. day. All by yourself.
And when you come home, the closets should be back in their original state.

hellokitty
04-23-2013, 11:10 AM
I didn't read the update until now. She begged to extend her trip??? That would be annoying. You do get kudos for not losing it on her. Lol, about her moving closer to you guys. My brother flat out told my parents, "no," when they proposed the idea of moving to his city.

Twoboos
04-23-2013, 11:18 AM
I didn't read the update until now. She begged to extend her trip??? That would be annoying. You do get kudos for not losing it on her. Lol, about her moving closer to you guys. My brother flat out told my parents, "no," when they proposed the idea of moving to his city.

Oh dear God, no. DDs begged her to extend her trip.

So DD2 was in a bad way last night, weeping and wailing about how she wanted MIL to stay longer. This was of course heart wrenching. And it led to a conversation about MIL moving here or not. Then the blame game, dumping on DH: "Well, what am I supposed to do, YOU'RE the one who moved all the way out here!" Nice, MIL. Really nice. You didn't spend a DIME while you were here, I cooked all the meals and we paid for the eating out and I bought all the stuff for sewing you wanted to do for DDs. ($150 total there alone.) And your fussing over everything made me mental - if you want to clean up something, just clean up, don't ask me where EACH THING goes under the guise of "I don't want to put something in the wrong place" after you rearranged a cabinet and closet.

Oh wait, I exaggerate. You did buy me and the girls Diary Queen one day. You did your part. :banghead:

Sorry, apparently that's been building up, LOL.;)

crl
04-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Hooray!

Catherine

StantonHyde
04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
I think when I am an MIL, I am going to come with a bottle of wine for my DIL--just to break the ice!

Wow--MIL pays for at least one dinner out and she will buy the kids a toy/souvenir. My mom would come and cook and clean and do laundry and watch kids. It was AWESOME. But only for a short time. 4 day visits are the max IMO.

YOu deserve a big ole spa day or a day in your own house with nobody around you!!!! And a bottle of wine!

123LuckyMom
04-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Throw yourself a party to celebrate!!!

klwa
04-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Update: Made it. She left this morning, did not extend the trip despite much begging. DD2 was hysterically crying and asking her to move here (which would make me hysterically cry). I managed not to rip her head off about anything. And considering my usual snarky attitude, this is seriously a miracle.

Thank you for all the support - you all kept me laughing!!

YAY!!!! Glad you're free again. :yay:

hellokitty
04-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Oh dear God, no. DDs begged her to extend her trip.

So DD2 was in a bad way last night, weeping and wailing about how she wanted MIL to stay longer. This was of course heart wrenching. And it led to a conversation about MIL moving here or not. Then the blame game, dumping on DH: "Well, what am I supposed to do, YOU'RE the one who moved all the way out here!" Nice, MIL. Really nice. You didn't spend a DIME while you were here, I cooked all the meals and we paid for the eating out and I bought all the stuff for sewing you wanted to do for DDs. ($150 total there alone.) And your fussing over everything made me mental - if you want to clean up something, just clean up, don't ask me where EACH THING goes under the guise of "I don't want to put something in the wrong place" after you rearranged a cabinet and closet.

Oh wait, I exaggerate. You did buy me and the girls Diary Queen one day. You did your part. :banghead:

Sorry, apparently that's been building up, LOL.;)

Ugh, get it all out. Your vent is actually very familiar to me, with a combo of issues from my dad and my mil, esp the guilting part and mooching part (mil). I hope that she won't be visiting you guys anytime soon. It's exhausting being around ppl like that.

Ms B
04-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Many congrats!

I feel you on the distraught children. Even at his age, The Biscuit spends a couple days after the ILs leave forlornly looking for them in the basement (which is where the guest suite is).

That said, I will not miss the random cups all over the house, the dishes piled next to the sink (seriously?), or the passive-aggressive remarks and behavior from MIL.