PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway for me to save my comforter?

happy2bamom
04-09-2013, 09:42 AM
I washed a comforter that unbeknownst to me was dry clean only. The comforter was cream, with red and purple designs on it. The red is everywhere now. I'm guessing it's a lost cause, but I wanted to check with ya'll first. You're the most knowledgeable group of women that I know :) TIA

twowhat?
04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
It's clean now, so it's not a lost cause if you buy a new duvet cover for it:)

jerigirl
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
You might be able to wash again with several Color Catcher sheets to see if that will get the color out. Don't let it sit in the washer very long when it is done. The red could transfer just sitting in the washer wet.

gatorsmom
04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
You could try taking it to the dry cleaners and see if they can get the red out. But, having worked in a dry cleaners in high school, my guess is not. I think you will be stuck with the red everywhere.

happy2bamom
04-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I called the dry cleaners and they said that they can't help. I'll try the color catcher next. Duvet cover will be option 3 :)

kristenk
04-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I called the dry cleaners and they said that they can't help. I'll try the color catcher next. Duvet cover will be option 3 :)

Make sure to use several color catchers. I don't think they'll get all of the color out, but they might work well enough that you don't mind.

I used color catchers on some item of clothing that ran. I used several color catchers at one time and kept running the item through the wash (with new color catchers) until the color catchers weren't picking up any color.

Good luck!

happy2bamom
04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Update: A friend suggested RIT. Our grocery didn't carry that brand but something similar and it worked like a charm! I still can't believe that my comforter looks new again. So thrilled right now!

twowhat?
04-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Update: A friend suggested RIT. Our grocery didn't carry that brand but something similar and it worked like a charm! I still can't believe that my comforter looks new again. So thrilled right now!

What's RIT?? So awesome that it worked!

gatorsmom
04-09-2013, 11:19 PM
What's RIT?? So awesome that it worked!

:yeahthat: wow! I've never heard of that. I'm going to check it out now too.

So glad your comforter is like new again!

etaylor75
04-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Who knew?? The RIT dye people also make a "color remover"!

This would be great to have on hand for laundry mishaps!

Erin