PDA

View Full Version : What age for starting piano lessons? Update in OP

jent
04-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Update: so my dad went ahead and got her a digital piano, which arrived yesterday. We're housebound today (Boston area) and it has kept her occupied for much of the morning. DH did the key-labeling thing and she's having a blast. Now for real lessons...

------------------
DD has always loved music and been fascinated by the piano. (Neither DH nor I play-- DH took lessons as a kid but didn't stick with it.) When we visited my dad and stepmom last summer (they have a piano leftover from the days when my stepbrother apparently took lessons, but neither of them play), she was so taken with the piano that DH labelled the keys for her and taught her to play simple songs like "twinkle twinkle" and "Mary had a little lamb" and she was thrilled.

My dad was so impressed by this that he wants to buy us a digital piano for DD's 6th birthday. Actually, he wanted to do it last Xmas but we held off-- we thought DD was too young to keep up with regular lessons.

So-- what do you all think about the right age for starting lessons and regular practicing? Does hand size make a difference? DD is quite small and her hands are too-- I don't want her to start and get frustrated.

I know there are a lot of musical mamas on this board-- advice appreciated!

jenmcadams
04-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm not musical, but both my kids seem to be (they both play piano and sing in a children's chorale) :)

They both started lessons (using traditional, learning to read music lessons) in 1st grade. They do lessons 1x per week for 30 min and practice 4-6 days a week for 15 - 30 min (normally closer to 15). Our teacher prefers they can read pretty fluently before starting.

Asianmommy
04-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Both my kids started taking piano lessons just before age 5. They both love it and still play at ages 8 & 11.

MelissaTC
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
M started at 8 but both of his teachers would take kids at 6 if they could
read and be willing to practice. We joke how piano has been a gateway drug for M. He now plays the clarinet as well. He is also begging to learn the guitar and the cello.

speo
04-09-2013, 09:32 PM
It's great that she has the interest! I think she is a great age to start. The biggest thing would be if you really think you can get her to practice and if she will sit still and focus for a 30 min lesson.

DS1 started at 5.5. He has practiced on average 15 min/day with very few days off since he started and he is almost 8. I think that to really make it worthwhile you need to be ready to have her practice. DS2 is ready to start and we are just waiting for a new job for DH. He can't wait. He is 5.5.

niccig
04-09-2013, 09:36 PM
DS is 8 and in 2nd grade. We tried at end of K when he was 6.5 and he didn't want to practice and I didn't need 1 more fight over something. So, we shelved it. He wants to learn guitar and we may try next year, but deal is that he must practice and not fight me when I remind him to do it, or we're stopping lessons.

So my answer is when she'll willing practice. I don't mind reminding DS to practice, but he has to be willing to do it.

lmintzer
04-09-2013, 09:38 PM
My older son started at 6.5. My younger son started at 5 (he had been going to his brother's lessons and was getting a lot out of just sitting and listening). Both still play now at almost 12 and 9.

They were very ready. It might be too young for some kids, but they could sit still and listen. Both showed early musical aptitude. And both could read (English) which some say is a good pre-req for reading music.

And no, hand size doesn't matter for beginning. Later, if they advance quickly, it can be hard to reach ocatves, but most pieces can be modified if necessary. My boys are both very small for their age, and their size (hands or otherwise) never mattered. They didn't start pedaling until they were a little older and could reach, but again, no big deal.

jjordan
04-09-2013, 09:49 PM
If a kid can read (English), then he/she can be a little bit more independent when practicing, which is nice. In general I'd say 6 is a great age to start lessons.

trales
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
We started about a year ago, age 5. She practices on her own and asks for help, it is great. She loves it, we love it. If they are excited they are ready.

jent
04-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys-- you are a treasure trove of advice! I probably shouldn't have been scared off at Xmas.

DD can read and is good at concentrating on what she's interested in. Good to know her tiny hands won't be an issue. I am only hoping the momentum isn't gone since the piano playing experience was last summer. But her fascination with music/pianos started long before that so I am pretty sure she will be into it.

alexsmommy
04-09-2013, 10:31 PM
DS1 was 7 because we did not have a piano until then. DS2 is very musical and wanted to start at 4. Finally when he was five I contacted DS1's teacher to discuss it. She typically begins them at 6. She "auditioned" him and said he was more than ready. DS2 practices 10-15 minutes 3-5x a week. i told his teacher I wanted him to enjoy piano so I was not going to engage in practicing power struggles and I was ok if he didn't progress much this year DS2 has done great and I don't have to push him to practice when I say he needs to for the day. They also have a wonderful teacher who is extremely patient and clearly loves working with kids.

essnce629
04-10-2013, 03:37 AM
Thanks for asking this question! DS2 will be 4 next month and has been asking to learn to play piano. I was going to look into it, but now I know that it's probably best to wait a year or two.

wellyes
04-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks for asking this question! DS2 will be 4 next month and has been asking to learn to play piano. I was going to look into it, but now I know that it's probably best to wait a year or two.
:yeahthat:

Although I have heard good things about the Suzuki method, which is for kids as young as 3. I'm sure it works for some people well.

Pennylane
04-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Our teacher will not start a child until they can read. I started both my girls when they were 6.

Ann

marymoo86
04-10-2013, 08:28 AM
I started in 2nd grade so age 7? I would highly recommended supporting this desire if your DD wants it. While I disliked "practicing" for lessons, I loved playing for my own enjoyment. I have no doubt it contributed to my love of numbers and math.

edurnemk
04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
I started piano lessons at 6. DS is 5 and showing a lot of interest, however I don't feel 100% sure that he has the discipline, self control and maturity to practice consistently for 30 min a day yet. So I'm informally teaching him the basics and will sign him up for real lessons in a year or 2. He's already starting to read.

ETA: I have a couple of nieces who did violin with the Suzuki method, they can start pretty young with that method.

lil_acorn
04-10-2013, 11:45 AM
delete - meant to add new thread

maestramommy
04-10-2013, 12:42 PM
6 is a good age. Whenever they show interest and can sit still long enough for a lesson, can practice for 10-15 minutes at a stretch. Being able to read helps, though you can go Suzuki with non-readers. But the bigger deal (or what makes it more fun and a little easier) is when the kid is old enough to understand some explanations and directions. DD1 started with violin shortly before turning 7. She is doing great, her comprehension is good enough to understand a lot of things. DD2 wants to play something now, I put her off until 1st grade, but at this point I'm not sure she will be able to understand well enough until the end of 1st grade, when she is also closer to 7.

todzwife
04-10-2013, 01:01 PM
As a teacher, I don't like to start them before 6 on the piano. SOME 5 year olds will have the finger dexterity but most don't and they get frustrated.

After about 8 YO, it's still possibly but the "ideal" time to start is between 6-8 since their brains retain it better at that point.

janine
04-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Great thread - as an offshoot question, definitely need a piano at home before starting/investing in lessons right?

wellyes
04-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Great thread - as an offshoot question, definitely need a piano at home before starting/investing in lessons right?
No, a keyboard or (better) an electric piano is just fine. If the parents don't play, there is no way I'd invest in a real piano unless the kid showed many years of interest!

o_mom
04-10-2013, 02:25 PM

We actually started without a piano at home and went to a friend's house almost every day to practice. After 4-6 weeks when it was clear he wanted to continue, we bought a digital piano for home.

wellyes
04-10-2013, 02:28 PM
I decided to learn a new instrument when I was 30 (pre kids). Got a cheap "just learn fingering and hand position" instrument rental with a promise to myself that if I kept it up one year, I would invest in a nice instrument. I didn't make a year. I think that same kind of bargaining would be good for kids, too, though you may want to shorten it to 6 months of consistently practicing and enjoying it.

Asianmommy
04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
This is not my kid, but watch this amazing 5-year-old play the piano on You Tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3oNVmSaMsE).

jent
04-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Just added an update to the OP