PDA

View Full Version : Greenbean has an embedded tick- scratch I out now or leave it for the doc tomorrow?

gatorsmom
04-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Title says it all. It's the size of a fleck of pepper. I'm not even sure it's a tick (but almost). He spent all day outside on Sunday in a field.

Thoughts?

trales
04-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Get it out. We use what looks like the back of a hammer. They are little pullers, we get them at the vet, but I bet you could get them at the drug store. You want to be careful with tweezers as you don't want to break off the head. You want to get the body and the head intact.

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-300000772-Tick-Twister-Pro/dp/B000VUSV6Y/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_4

We have one of these in each car, each bathroom, the kitchen, and the first aid kits.

infomama
04-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the link Tracey...I'm ordering a bunch of those, too.

Twoboos
04-09-2013, 10:00 PM
This may or may not be true, but I just read somewhere (maybe on FB?) about putting liquid soap on a cotton ball and putting that over the tick. Tick tries to escape and gets stuck in the cotton ball.

Good luck - ticks are SO GROSS!!

I can't believe it's time to start checking for them already. After this hard long cold winter, I figured it would be a bit longer. But the mosquitoes are out already, too!

Twoboos
04-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the link Tracey...I'm ordering a bunch of those, too.

I just ordered one of these.

gatorsmom
04-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Get it out. We use what looks like the back of a hammer. They are little pullers, we get them at the vet, but I bet you could get them at the drug store. You want to be careful with tweezers as you don't want to break off the head. You want to get the body and the head intact.

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-300000772-Tick-Twister-Pro/dp/B000VUSV6Y/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_4

We have one of these in each car, each bathroom, the kitchen, and the first aid kits.

I can't go out and get one of those tonight. I'm alone with the kids. Dh is oot. How can I get it out intact? I normally jet gently scratch it out. I don't use the tweezers. Help!

Melbel
04-09-2013, 10:04 PM
This may or may not be true, but I just read somewhere (maybe on FB?) about putting liquid soap on a cotton ball and putting that over the tick. Tick tries to escape and gets stuck in the cotton ball.

Good luck - ticks are SO GROSS!!

I can't believe it's time to start checking for them already. After this hard long cole winter, I figured it would be a bit longer. But the mosquitoes are out already, too!

Definitely remove it ASAP. Do not use soap or heat because these methods cause the tick to regurgitate the stomach contents (more likely spreading infection).

infomama
04-09-2013, 10:05 PM
You've got to use the tweezers
www.firstaid.webmd.com/tc/how-to-remove-a-tick-overview

Twoboos
04-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Definitely remove it ASAP. Do not use soap or heat because these methods cause the tick to regurgitate the stomach contents (more likely spreading infection).

EEK! OK, do not do what I said. Lesson: Never listen to Dr. Facebook.

gatorsmom
04-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Ok, I just tried to take it out and now I'm not sure it's a tick. Ugh, my eyes are getting bad. So I used one of the kids magnifying glasses and it could be a tiny freckle. I see no head or legs but if he's had it since Sunday they could be embedded. The surface is smooth, different from his skin. But some ticks are like that, kwim? Ive found freckles this size on my kids before but normally I've found them before they are embedded. but the area around this thing is not red at all. The ticks I have found partially embedded on my kids had redness around the tick area. This looks pretty normal. Except it's smooth and brown. Gator looked at it ( his eyes are younger than mine) and he said it looked like a scab.

Not sure what to do....

WatchingThemGrow
04-09-2013, 10:54 PM
post a picture?

gatorsmom
04-09-2013, 11:13 PM
post a picture?

I've never been able to do that!

I just looked again and I'm doubting myself. I think it's just a freckle. I picked at it pretty good and it's looking more like a freckle. I'm going to look at it again in the morning light with fresh eyes. If I have the slightest doubt tomorrow morning, I'll take him to the ped.

And I'm going to order that device trales linked to asap.

This is such a pain. I spent all day yesterday with him at Urgent care waiting to get a sensory table bean pulled out of his ear by the ENT doc. If I had known about this freckle/tick, I would have that seen too!!