PDA

View Full Version : Road trip to Maine

Jen841
04-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Vacation dreaming. Thinking of a week of driving from Philly area to Maine. I want to go to VT to the Ben & Jerry's factory. What else should we put on the list? We will skip NJ and NYC, so please leave them out. Really I want to go to Maine but don't have a specific destination in mind....Diamond Cove or Acadia? Take bikes or rent them? Kids ride themselves so no free loaders.

Philly Mom
04-10-2013, 07:47 AM
How long do you have for the trip?

ncat
04-10-2013, 08:20 AM
We went to Ogunquit last summer and really enjoyed it!

jjordan
04-10-2013, 08:27 AM
We took two Maine trips from the Philly area, both several years ago. We stayed near Acadia (Bass Harbor, I think). We didn't really do much on the way or on the way back - but it was before we had kids so we could drive for long periods of time! We did take a detour in Freeport (LLBean store). Also we got a moose watching book and used it to take drives into the Maine wilderness (inland, away from Acadia) to try to find moose. (And we were successful.)

MSWR0319
04-10-2013, 09:00 AM
We went to the Portland/Kennebunkport/Freeport area about 6 years ago and I loved it. I'd like to go back when the kids get older and go up to the Bar Harbor area.

billysmommy
04-10-2013, 10:02 AM
If you end up near Bar Harbor, you should definitely go on Diver Ed's dive-in theater boat cruise. My IL's live there and we've done this a few times when we visit. The kids and adults all love it!! www.divered.com

Philly Mom
04-10-2013, 11:23 AM
I have spent a lot of time in Maine. Ben and Jerry's is not really on the way but if you are going to go that route, perhaps go to North Conway (mountains and outlet shopping). Not sure of the age of your kids, but there are great hikes in the Presidential Range there. On the drive from North Conway to Portland (Route 302), there is a small hike to a place called Emerald Pools. I was about 9 the first time I did it. Kids would need to be able to swim, but there are small cliffs to jump into crystal clear VERY deep water. Water is cold but feels great on a hot day. http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/waterfall.php?name=Emerald%20Pool

Also on the way to Portland, you will drive past the lake area of Maine. There are beautiful lakes in there that are very swimmable. On some of them, you can rent a boat for the day. Look for boat rentals located in Naples, Maine. You should be able to access Sebago Lake (a huge lake) or Long Lake (much smaller but still long) from Naples. I have rented a boat on Sebago before.

I love Portland. There are great boat rides you can do from Portland to see all of the islands around Portland. In particular, I like the mail boat run. I always bring a picnic and watch the islands as the boat stops to deliver the mail. I think you can get off and take a different boat back from some of the islands. For a shorter boat trip, I like taking a trip to Peaks Island. You can rent bikes on the island. DH and I did that 8 years ago. We arrived on the island, ate lunch and rented bikes and biked the whole island. It was awesome.

Going north from Portland, you should stop in Freeport. Cute town, outlets, original LL Bean open 24 hours a day 365. A great easy hike around there is Wolfs Neck State Park. http://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/doc/parksearch/search_name.pl?state_park=31&historic_site=&public_reserved_land=&shared_use_trails=&option=search
It is right on the water. Has easy walking paths. I walked around there at 7 months pregnant.

If you want to go all the way up to Bar Harbor/Acadia, places to stop along the way include Boothbay Harbor and Camden.

Jen841
04-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks! Kids are 7 and 10 so they can hike, swim, and do stretches in the car.

indigo99
04-11-2013, 09:51 AM
We accidentally got on the wrong side of the lake when going to Burlington and had to take a ferry across Lake Champlain from Essex. If the kids haven't been on a ferry before, that's fun. The VT teddy bear factory is also near Burlington.

TwoBees
04-11-2013, 09:56 AM
What route are you planning to take? If you are taking 95 to New Haven and then north on 91 to Mass and up to VT, you could stop at the Norwalk Maritime aquarium and the Stepping Stones Childrens' Museum.

(ETA: I know you said you will be skipping NJ and NYC, but I didn't know if you meant you won't be stopping for sightseeing, or if you will not be traveling through them at all)

ladysoapmaker
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
My best friend lives in Maine and whenever I visit we stop in Freeport. I have to go to LLBean. The harbor tour of Portland is nice. so is the tour of the lighthouse.

Jen

Jen841
04-12-2013, 12:58 PM
No route yet...we need to work on it. Thanks for all the great information.

wellyes
04-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Portland ME is a great little city to stop in - artsy and fun.

Acadia is GORGEOUS. We camp there every summer. It's a national treasure. The nearby city of Bar Harbor has good shopping & dining.

We did a drive up the ME coast from Acadia to Nova Scotia. It's beautiful and there are lots of fun things to see and do on the way. But it's really rustic and there is not much in terms of businesses. One diner per town. If you want to eat after 7:30, good luck. Nova Scotia is the same but more so. It is lovely and I really enjoyed it, but I think it's a better romantic getaway than family trip.

wolverine2
04-12-2013, 06:51 PM
If you're going to go to Maine, I'd definitely get all the way to Acadia if you can. And further- Downeast Maine is so beautiful and so much less crowded past Acadia- you can go to the easternmost point in the US where there is a lighthouse, and Campobello Island in Nova Scotia.

My other favorite place in Maine is the Camden area- so beautiful and amazing views, good hiking, cute town.

And Pemaquid Point- there's just so many amazing places!

If you drive out Route 1 from Brunswick to Acadia, you can hit all the spots in between.

Jen841
04-14-2013, 08:07 AM
So much great info. We are thinking a week for the trip.

Could we amp in late August? Tent or rent a cabin?

BabyBearsMom
04-14-2013, 08:10 AM
We go to Bar Harbour, ME often and it is great. Very close to Acadia, great downtown.

Philly Mom
04-14-2013, 10:31 AM
So much great info. We are thinking a week for the trip.

Could we amp in late August? Tent or rent a cabin?

Last summer was warm at night in late August. Most summers, though, it is very cold at night in late August.

Smillow
04-14-2013, 05:57 PM
We have camped twice in Maine in late August, the first year we were cold, the second year it was perfect! I would add Boothbay Harbour to the itinerary - we loved it!

Jen841
04-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Any family friendly lodging ideas? Cabin at a camp ground? Hotel? Resort? VRBO?