PDA

View Full Version : Ditch Power Generator? WWYD?

arivecchi
04-10-2013, 10:31 AM
We bought a house last year with a Kohler power generator. Since we moved, we have had to have servicemen out several times because the generator had stopped working. They got it to re-start the first two times they came over, but during the final one (middle of winter), they said that mice had done extensive damage to the unit (5 year old generator and we live in a semi-rural area surrounded by woods so field mice are unavoidable). I guess the mice like to hide in it during the winter due to the heat. Repairing it this time would involve removing it, taking it apart and replacing all the damage done by the mice. While parts are still under warranty, we'd have to pay for labor which they estimate could run $2-3K. If we do not repair it, they recommend removing it. Not sure how much that would cost. $2-3k seems like a ton of money to repair a non-essential appliance and the kicker is that I don't even know if it's possible to keep the mice out, so the problem could re-occur. We have not had any issues with power since we moved, but understand that things used to be pretty bad in our street before they buried the power lines.

Any ideas as to what to do? Anyone BTDT?

westwoodmom04
04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Given that we have lost power twice in the last 18 months for a week at a time due to unusually strong storms (never happened in the 5 years prior), I would keep it especially if extended power outages have occurred in your area before. We researched getting a generator and the whole house kind (sounds like you have that) can run $20,000 and up, so a thousand or two to fix doesn't sound bad. I would definitely think it would add to the marketability of the house, although I think you have said you don't have plans to move.

westwoodmom04
04-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Could you use a mesh enclosure to keep the mice out?

arivecchi
04-10-2013, 11:15 AM
I emailed the previous owner and she said they lost power twice in the 5 years they had the generator but for brief periods of time. Most people here do not have them. She was worried about frozen pipes if she lost power in the winter. She said they had also "plugged" the generator before to prevent the mice from getting in. Clearly, that did not work!