PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a toddler accidentally eat poo?

gcc2k
04-10-2013, 02:47 PM
I think everyone is okay, but just curious how sick a 1 year old could get. That's what happens when DH doesn't put DS's diaper on straight and the mushy poop leaks out the side onto the carpet for the curious 1 year old I take care of to sample. I think it was very little if she even swallowed anything at all. Thank goodness her mom laughed it off and didn't seem to mind since her daughter is showing no signs of illness...yet. Not sure if I would have been so understanding if it were my kid!

It's been quite a morning.

mommylamb
04-10-2013, 02:50 PM
It happened to a friend of mine. She freaked out and called her pediatrician, who laughed about it and said not to worry.

lizzywednesday
04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
If eating dog poo didn't harm Divine during the filming of Pink Flamingos, and she called local ERs to be sure, I'm sure it'll be fine.

It's gross, but it's done and there's not much you can do about it now.

scrooks
04-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Ds ate dog poop when he was about 18 months old. He was fine.

catsnkid
04-10-2013, 03:51 PM
My kid grabbed some left over and put it in his mouth.. He was closer to 3 at the time. I knew he would be okay though it was gross!

gcc2k
04-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Thanks for reassuring me! Apparently the 1-year-old's mom was talking with her coworkers at lunch and they all had stories about their own kids or someone they knew eating poop. I guess it's more common than I though and everyone seems to be ok!

123LuckyMom
04-10-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm sure it happens all the time! Mine never ate poop (yet), but DS used to eat the dog food whenever he could get to it. Yuck! I looked it up online and came up with a ton of hits when I googled "Toddler eating dog food." I guess that's common, too.

gatorsmom
04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Gator ate his own poop when he was a year old. I called poison control and they said as long as it was his own poop, he should be fine.

hellokitty
04-10-2013, 06:56 PM
OP, I'm sure he will be ok. I do have to admit though that this is a really funny thread.

babyonbrain
04-10-2013, 07:03 PM
My friend's kid ate his brother's poo (fell out of diaper during diaper change) and she wasn't worried. My friend is an MD.

flashy09
04-10-2013, 07:58 PM
My DD grabbed a handful of shedrow dirt at the racetrack, which is probably full of horse poop, and shoveled it into her mouth. Still alive a week later!

StantonHyde
04-11-2013, 10:45 AM
The only time I know of a problem was when a kid ate chicken poop and got salmonella. She was in a poop eating phase and lived on a farm. She ate it all!

div_0305
04-11-2013, 10:53 AM
I think it's only dangerous if the pooper has a stomach virus. I saw a toddler eat his own poop once and I swear the next day he had a growth spurt! This was many years ago, and I still can't believe what I saw.