PDA

View Full Version : where can I find these wacky baking ingredients?

Fairy
04-10-2013, 06:37 PM
I need butter extract and rum extract. NOT the actual rum or butter, but the extracts. The grocery store didn't have it, neither did TJ's. I haven't checked WF yet. Where can I get these? Can anyone guess what I'm making?

legaleagle
04-10-2013, 06:40 PM
King Arthur flour sells butter-rum extract http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/butter-rum-flavor-1-oz#1748#

I am curious what you're making!

Fairy
04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Only thing is I need to go to a store and buy it by tomorrow. No time to order.

Fairy
04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Hint: It involves pop.

Mommy_Again
04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
My grocery carries those (Publix). Maybe try the largest location of your local grocery chain? Ours keeps them with the vanilla extract, in the spice section.

Eta: rum cake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larig
04-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Most groceries that are large should have that. I know I've purchased butter extract at Jewel when I lived in the northern burbs a million years ago.

YouAreTheFocus
04-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Yeah, our Safeway has those, too. I agree, maybe the biggest, fanciest, newest location of your chain?

http://shop.safeway.com/productimages/100x100/114010104_100x100.jpg

Fairy
04-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Not Rum Cake!

My Dominicks (Safeway/Vons chain) did not have it. TJ's did not have it. Would World Market have it? Never been in one, but I remember some wacky food someone suggested to go there once. Would that qualify or is that different kind of food? Wm Sonoma? Hate to go there, so expensive, but ... I have to have them ...

alexsmommy
04-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Call the largest stores near you. Either Jewel or Dominicks should have it, but if your closest is a smaller one, you may need to call one of the larger ones. The Jewel "market" nearest me does not have it, but the larger Jewel a town over had it in the past. I haven't looked in a while.

Fairy
04-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Hmm, Jewel ... if Domi's doesn't have it, I just assumed Jewel wouldn't, but ... assuming is bad! I'll check. Maybe Sunset.

YouAreTheFocus
04-10-2013, 07:14 PM
My first guess was hot buttered rum :) but the pop threw me off.

LOL, I could ask my MIL if they have it at Sunset. She practically lives there.

gobadgers
04-10-2013, 07:40 PM
That sounds like something Sunset would have! Or if not, maybe Fresh Market.

Are you making butterbeer?!

kristenk
04-10-2013, 07:47 PM
How about Michael's/MJDesigns? I wonder if it would be with their decorating stuff?

My first try would be a large local supermarket, though.

EllasMum
04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Are you making butterbeer?!

:yeahthat: gobadgers beat me to it! :)

barkley1
04-10-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm pretty sure Michaels has it with the cake decorating stuff.

MamaMolly
04-10-2013, 09:21 PM
:yeahthat: gobadgers beat me to it! :)

And me! I'd use regular rum. But then it would be for me, rather than the kiddos. ;)

DrSally
04-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Fun! Never heard of butter extract.

LizLemon
04-10-2013, 11:30 PM
I don't know if you have these kind of stores by you, but I have seen those kind of extracts in multiple states I have lived at small Amish-style markets that carry lots of flours and baking items. Good luck in your search!

bigpassport
04-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Do you have a specialty baking supply store in your area? You might want to call them.

Gracemom
04-11-2013, 09:39 AM
How did it turn out?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Fairy
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Yes, it's butterbeer!

I JUST drove by sunset and forgot! I, going to Domi's, a different one, shortly, if they don't have them, I'll call sunset.

Thank you guys! We're making it tonight, so I'll check back and let you known how it went.

Fairy
04-11-2013, 11:19 AM
And me! I'd use regular rum. But then it would be for me, rather than the kiddos. ;)

I've actually been thinking about this. This recipe was sent to me by a friend, she and two others are coming to stay for the weekend (I've been cleaning like a mofo to get the house ready), and my friend's a Harry Potter nut (Snape and Alan Rickman to be more specific). So, she thought it would be fun to make butterbeer with my DS, and so that's what we're doing, but the recipe said even tho it's the best one they found, you can still taste the artificialness of the extracts. Real butter won't work, that I get, you have to swirl the extract into the cream soda. but ... if I added real rum instead of the extract, it's a teeny amount, like a tbl or a tsp, have to go look, but that diluted into a 2-liter ... it won't cook off the alcohol, but ... seems like that might be better taste? Or is this just a bad freaking idea with DS involved?

Momit
04-11-2013, 11:25 AM
I have to say that I have never heard of butter extract, so once again I am a wiser woman because of BBB. Hope you find some.

If it were me I would use the real rum and not worry about it - it's such a small amount.

Looking forward to the update after you've made it!

anonomom
04-11-2013, 11:33 AM
The wal-marts near me sell a dizzying array of extracts/flavorings. You might try there.

Fairy
04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Ok, wait, one more thing. I don't drink and wouldn't know the right alcohol to save my life. What brand of rum should I buy? I literally will be going off the label that I recognize from ads if someone doesn't tell me what to get. I'll use the tsp and pour the rest out (or maybe give to a neighbor).

KLD313
04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
You can't use melted butter? I would use the rum, it's a tiny amount.

Momit
04-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Well, the standard basic rum is Bacardi so that should be fine. You probably want to avoid spiced rum like Captain Morgan's or flavored rum like Malibu and get a plain, clear rum (not dark).

larig
04-11-2013, 12:30 PM
How about Michael's/MJDesigns? I wonder if it would be with their decorating stuff?

My first try would be a large local supermarket, though.

Or try a BIG JoAnns where they have cake decorating stuff. Or a cake decorating specialty store.

Fairy
04-11-2013, 12:31 PM
You can't use melted butter? I would use the rum, it's a tiny amount.

The recipe says to swish it gently into the 2-litre directly, and I got the impression that the consistency of butter (grease) doesn't work for the recipe. I think? I burn water, so I dunno ... but I'll see what I can find, setting out now.

YouAreTheFocus
04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Are you saying like a one to one conversion, rum extract to real rum? 1 tsp of rum isn't going to have the flavoring power of 1 tsp extract...

ahisma
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
3 TBS rum = 1 tsp rum extract.

Fairy
04-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Oh I see. okay then I'll go with you extract.

Fairy
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Sunset has them! Yay!

billysmommy
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Here's the butterbeer recipe I used for Ds1's Harry Potter party last year. It was really easy and the kids loved it! I used clarified butter instead of the butter extract in the foam but the extract in the soda. No rum extract needed.
http://bakingdom.com/2010/11/butterbeer-oh-yes-friends-butterbeer.html

kellyd
04-11-2013, 03:27 PM
I'd suggest AGAINST using the watkins brand butter extract FYI... it's got a REALLY artificial taste and has ruined everything I've tried it in.

McCormick isn't bad and also Wilton has a clear butter extract that I've seen in any walmart (cake decorating isle in crafts) Joanns and Michaels.

Fairy
04-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Ohmigod, it was freaking delicious!

Here is the recipe, and we really loved it. Not the same as Universal's, but it's really close.

-------------

Butterbeer
2 liter cream soda
2 tablespoons Butter extract
2 teaspoons rum extract

*drop the extracts into the 2 liter bottle, put on cap and slowly rotate until combined.

Cream topping
1 7oz container of marshmallow creme
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon rum extract

*add all items together in an electric mixer and combine until smooth. Pour the butterbeer into a glass, drizzle with the cream topping, and enjoy!

Here’s what we liked about this one:

It’s easy to serve a crowd. Just add the flavorings right into a 2-liter bottle of cream soda. It replicates the fizziness of the original better than any others we tried. This might have something to do with how it’s mixed up, by swirling the 2-liter of cream soda after adding the flavorings, as opposed to pouring it out and stirring it. Or maybe it’s something about the combination of this particular recipe’s beer and froth. Whatever it was, my kids were impressed that this one kept on fizzing, much like the original. It is not as sweet as the original, though. If you’re serving this for a party, you can even print out butterbeer labels to cover the cream soda label. Marshmallow cream and whipping cream make for a yummy froth!

The downside:

It makes a lot. If you’re making this for yourself, you’re going to have left overs. It uses a lot of extracts. The beer itself uses both butter extract (quite a bit of it) and rum extract. Personally, I could taste the artificial quality of the extracts, and they seemed to overpower the drink. You may want to consider cutting the amount of extract used by up to half. While similar to the original, it’s not as sweet, and my kids definitely missed the sweetness.

BunnyBee
04-12-2013, 12:11 AM
There's a super strong extract known as candy oil or flavoring oil (no oil in it though!), and those might work really well for this recipe.

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors.aspx

I've seen them at a local cooking supply store and cake supply stores, and of course they're available on the internets. :)

Gracemom
04-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Butterbeer sounds sooo yummy! We'll have to try it for our movie night!