PDA

View Full Version : Playdates for one when you have multiple children?

YouAreTheFocus
04-10-2013, 06:52 PM
We moved a few months back, and our new neighbors have 3 boys, approx 3, 7, & 10. Our DS is an only, age 3.5. There are several elementary aged kids on our street, but hardly any younger ones. Their older boys definitely have friends on the block--they are often outside w/ them.

I would love for our 3 yos to play together, but I'm wondering how this works with their 3 kids. Can I invite just the youngest over to play, or do I need to invite the whole family? I can't imagine our house/yard would be entertaining to the older boys--they would probably just want to go home :)

If you have multiple kids, and the youngest was invited out to play, would you take that one and leave the others w/ DH, or would it just be more trouble than its worth? Also this would have to be on the wkd, b/c DH & I work FT.

Forgive my cluelessness, everyone else we know only has one kid!

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Because of the age gap, you are fine to invite just the 3yo over.

WatchingThemGrow
04-10-2013, 07:53 PM
I would be thrilled for someone to invite my 3yo over. Unfortunately, I'd only be able to come and join the playdate if DH was home to supervise the other 2 DC.

YouAreTheFocus
04-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Honestly I would be fine with having the 3 yo over on his own, but we don't know them much at all, so I imagine the parents wouldn't be comfortable with that. But it's not like they'd be far if he wanted to go home or needed them!

teresah00
04-10-2013, 10:25 PM
I do stuff w my younger kids while my oldest is in school. After school and weekends we are busy w activities or DH is working.
I haven't done any drop of play dates w my kids that young. If it was soemone i knew i would ge ok dropping off, but otherwise i would want to know them better before leaving. I think it's fine to offer to have the 3yo over. I think it depends on how well you know them. Bonus is you are right next door. My kids didn't start having drop off play dates until around 5, but still the mom usually stays and chats. My friends that have older kids around the same age as mine, so they are able to play together.